Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Oh, and be aware of the reduced monorail schedules in the AM, which might make a cab to GF or Poly much more painful. CR would be the way to go. :thumbsup2

We are here now. Anyone else get the message about electricity being turned off in Mansion Building 80 tomorrow? I think message said 11-2 pm. This is the only day we plan on being at the resort from 12ish to 3 pm for an early afternoon relax and cool off. I was told security can let us into our room and we can hangout by the pool.
Anyone have any suggestions for an air conditioned spot at the resort to hangout that is quiet and comfortable. We will also need to recharge cell phones. I am having this rather awful vision of being sprawled out on the lobby floor taking a nap. And I don't think the carpet has returned. So probably not very comfortable.

Last edited:
We are here now. Anyone else get the message about electricity being turned off in Mansion Building 80 tomorrow? I think message said 11-2 pm.

We're over in Alligator Bayou 14 at the moment, so we obviously did not get that message. I'd suggest the River Roost lounge as somewhere air-conditioned with Wi-Fi to relax, or of that gets busy (it might if a lot of people have the same idea) take a wander over to French Quarter (bus, boat or walk) and the Scat Cat's lounge over there should be quieter.

Andre

What does POR do in the event of a hurricane? We are watching this Tropical Storm Erika and are concerned this will ruin our trip. If it does hit in, say, Miami, how would it impact Disney? Any thought are appreciated. TIA

Oh, and be aware of the reduced monorail schedules in the AM, which might make a cab to GF or Poly much more painful. CR would be the way to go. :thumbsup2

Someone suggested I take a cab to CR and now I've seen it several more times. What is CR? Coronado Springs Resort or Caribbean Beach Resort?

What does POR do in the event of a hurricane? We are watching this Tropical Storm Erika and are concerned this will ruin our trip. If it does hit in, say, Miami, how would it impact Disney? Any thought are appreciated. TIA

We were in Disney during Hurricane Charley. Our flight came in a few hours before they closed the airport. We stayed at Best Western-DTD our arrival night as our package at POFQ started next day. That evening and the next half day were one of the only times parks were closed. Disney has their own power grid and was the best place to be as the surrounding areas were without power. I wouldn't be too worried if it's going toward Miami.

Here's a link to an article on Allears.net - http://www.allears.net/news/hurricane.htm

Last edited:
Someone suggested I take a cab to CR and now I've seen it several more times. What is CR? Coronado Springs Resort or Caribbean Beach Resort?
Contemporary resort.
And the reason you take the cab to the contemporary is it is just a short walk from there to magic kingdom.
If you ask the cab company to take you to the magic kingdom, they will drop you off at the transportation and ticket center, then you have to take a boat or monorail to magic kingdom( this would take longer to get to the magic kingdom)

If the Hurricane simply provides a lot of rain, I highly recommend getting ponchos (Disney ones because they're durable and replaced for free if they do rip) and hitting the parks. Some of our best park days have been ones like that because most people don't want to deal with the rain. Getting a little wet is better than dealing with loads of people.

I do want to clarify that I prefer normal rain to hurricane rain because I don't like other people's suffering. :(

I worked at WDW during Hurricane Erin (August 1995) and they closed the parks for one day as the hurricane cut across Orlando/Florida. Lots of rain and wind, but not as bad as hurricanes hitting the coastline. Either way, I am hoping it does not decide to slow down and head a north, one prediction. That could mean a very rainy week. :/

I'll let you know on Monday! :) Hurricane party in our room, bring cake and drinks!

Andre
We'll be checking into POR on Saturday and I really hope that our first stay at a moderate resort isn't ruined by a hurricane. :scared1:

We also hope to book the free dining bounce back while we are there. I'm hoping there isn't a problem with availability for June 2016. We are counting a planning a big family trip then.

There is still a ton of uncertainty with Erika. Likelihood of it holding together and then striking the heart of Disney with any real intensity remains very uncertain. Odds are good that there will be a good deal of rain and some wind, but not terribly strong wind. As others have talked about, hit the parks with ponchos and you'll likely have an awesome time!

They should have a very good idea of where the storm is headed by Friday evening... Forecasting for tropical systems tends to be accurate out to about 48 hours, and then gets increasingly dicey for each day out to five, an educated guess beyond that.

I had flimsy ponchos packed, and have now added our rain jackets. Do you think ponchos would be better than coats?

Also, we have Pirates & Pals booked for Monday night....the cancellation policy is two days - would you cancel with all the rain that is currently forecasted?

I had flimsy ponchos packed, and have now added our rain jackets. Do you think ponchos would be better than coats?

Also, we have Pirates & Pals booked for Monday night....the cancellation policy is two days - would you cancel with all the rain that is currently forecasted?

A good poncho has been fine for us in some pretty heavy downpours here this week. As far as cancellations, I would wait until the last possible minute (48 hours out) before cancelling anything to see what the very latest forecast says. I would also note that, historically, if a legitimate tropical cyclone is affecting Disney, they are pretty generous about letting people out of cancellation fees. He k, my wife got a little sunstroked yesterday and they let us out of a dinner ressie without a fee on only two hours notice.

Wr will be arriving at POR sep 7. We will be driving and plan to take our car to all parks except MK. We also plan to do morning EMH but I am concerned about parking at AK. I have heard the lots don't always open early enough, so we might have to bus it. (Which I don't really want to do because trust me, driving with our family of 6 is just easier.) Anyhow, what time should we be at bus stop for 8am EMH? And which one? We will be staying in AB.

For those concerned, Erika still on track to impact Orlando area late Monday into Tuesday as a tropical storm at best. This would mean gusty but not damaging wind and lots of rain. There is still a chance the storm could fall apart as it crosses mountainous terrain in the Caribbean. A small chance also it could strengthen some at landfall. Bottom line for vacationers at POR... This will likely just be a hiccup in the vacation plans and for many of you a good chance to hit the parks and walk on rides that usually have long queues. Should this forecast verify I don't see much of anything closing down from this.

I'm just hoping Erika doesn't mess up our Sunday plans for a full Universal day by bringing any advanced continuous bad weather that early as we only have the one day. We'll just have to wait and see.

For today, I'll be around POR / POFQ all day if anyone wants to look out for me (wearing a dark green PortOrleans.org T-Shirt). Feel free to message me on Twitter @PortOrleansOrg or Facebook. I'll probably be Periscoping on @PortOrleansOrg a bit during the day too if you want to follow me to get notifications.

Andre

Contemporary resort.
If you ask the cab company to take you to the magic kingdom, they will drop you off at the transportation and ticket center, then you have to take a boat or monorail to magic kingdom( this would take longer to get to the magic kingdom)

I had a 8:00am ressie at BOG this Monday. I drove to TTC and took the bus there to MK. The monorail was not opened yet at 7:45 (starts at 8:30). Saw the sign for MK bus. It is right next to EPCOT monorail/gift shop. The bus is def the quickest way to get to MK. It took less than 10 mins to get to the front gate. However, we were still late for the ressie--Photopass photographers were there and I just couldn't pass up the photo ops. No problem at BOG check in. Another 10 mins wait in the line for the ordering kiosk. Food came quite quickly--took our time eating and still walked out at a little past 9. 7DMT was running with 40 mins wait. We had FP+ for that so went to Astro Orbiter (walk on) &Space Mountain (posted 10 mins; waited 5)

Other MK days, I took the bus from POR. No problem at the West Depot.

I'm just hoping Erika doesn't mess up our Sunday plans for a full Universal day by bringing any advanced continuous bad weather that early as we only have the one day. We'll just have to wait and see.

Andre

You probably have a better chance of having a good day at Universal on Sunday than if you had planned it for Monday. I hope the park isn't crowded and you have a great day. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter