• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

I have a Royal Guest Room garden view booked - the pool view rooms are $20 more a night - would it be a good idea to change to a pool room? Any advice would be wonderful!

As of a few days ago - purple, red, blue, and green - just the right number of colors for our family.

POFQ-Food-2014-5014_forum.jpg

I have a Royal Guest Room garden view booked - the pool view rooms are $20 more a night - would it be a good idea to change to a pool room?

That rather depends, firstly on whether you want a pool view.

A Pool View room would also guarantee that your room would be fairly close to the bridge to the main buildings, but then Garden View can be quite close too (however it can also be further away).

Andre

Just received my resort conformation from Disney Destinations and super excited only 5 days away and they said I can bypass the front desk check-in. Super excited about this option. First time we are able to use this feature. First trip to POR but been to POFQ a few times.
We received the email that we can by-pass the front desk, too. Even though we have never stayed at POR I would be very happy to skip the long check in lines I've seen in the lobby.

POFQ-Food-2014-5014_forum.jpg

That rather depends, firstly on whether you want a pool view.

A Pool View room would also guarantee that your room would be fairly close to the bridge to the main buildings, but then Garden View can be quite close too (however it can also be further away).

Andre
Thanks for the help - since I have not been to this resort, I guess I do not know if we want a pool view. I do like the idea that it might be closer…

We're there in 16 days! I have 2 questions.
1. When would you recommend faxing in my room request. We arrive on a Tuesday and 5 days prior would be Friday. Is that a good day or should I do it on the following Monday?
2. We have BOG reservations at 8:10 (park opens at 9:00). What time would you recommend we get to the park for the "early" line?
Should we do bus or cab over to one of the monorail parks?
Thanks!

Exactly a year ago today DBF and I left for our first trip to WDW (together) and stayed at POR :flower1:
My timehop will keep me sane this week with the millions of pictures that I forgot I took, and by the end of the week we will be less than 30 days out from our next trip:cheer2:

1. When would you recommend faxing in my room request. We arrive on a Tuesday and 5 days prior would be Friday. Is that a good day or should I do it on the following Monday?
2. We have BOG reservations at 8:10 (park opens at 9:00). What time would you recommend we get to the park for the "early" line?
Thanks!
1. That Friday should be perfect, maybe just try for earlier in the day? I know others will be better at answering this question, so wait fro those answers to be sure!
2. I actually have the same scenario for my October trip, and in the research i've done I am planning on arriving at 7:45 for our 8:10 BoG :goodvibes

Thanks!
I would take a cab to the CR and then just walk right over.

Tom

Thanks!
I sent my fax for my Wednesday arrival on a Friday and got good results but realize too, waiting for Monday is not needed under any circumstances as staff is present and working 7 days a week. Weekend faxes would be just fine.

By the way, just a word of encouragement for those coming to POR, as I saw a report a page back from someone who had bad luck with buses...

My family and I arrived August 19 and are now six days into our trip and have had great experiences with buses. Never more than a fifteen minute wait. A couple caveats though:

1. Pay attention to routing as outlined on Andre's Port Orleans unofficial guide (web page)... the routing has been spot on and we never have to stand on the bus in the morning.
2. As people suggest, after nighttime shows, find a bench to sit on and relax for 20 minutes, or shop if that's your thing. Then slowly stroll to the park's FQ/Riverside bus stop. You'll almost be able to walk on to a bus.

Only six days left here. It goes quick!

Last edited:
By the way, just a word of encouragement for those coming to POR, as I saw a report a page back from someone who had bad luck with buses...

My family and I arrived August 19 and are now six days into our trip and have had great experiences with buses. Never more than a fifteen minute wait. A couple caveats though:

1. Pay attention to routing as outlined on Andre's Port Orleans unofficial guide (web page)... the routing has been spot on and we never have to stand on the bus in the morning.
2. As people suggest, after nighttime shows, find a bench to sit on and relax for 20 minutes, or shop if that's your thing. Then slowly stroll to the park's FQ/Riverside bus stop. You'll almost be able to walk on to a bus.

Only six days left here. It goes quick!

FWIW, I don't know who you are referring to as I also posted a review a page back but I just want to reiterate that bus service was good for me. I was there for 10 days and used the busses a lot. I see in my post I estimated that I rode the busses 25 times, well that is a pretty low estimate. I stayed for 10 days and I would say I used them 4 times a day (once going to the park, back to the resort at like 230- 3 pm, then back to the parks for the evening and back to the resort at night) So only having 3 bad instances is really good, kind of what I was trying to say in my original post. And one of them was just because the driver didn't really know what he was doing. I didn't have to stand much either, but I also don't go to the parks at rope drop. I usually arrived at the bus stop at 10:30-11 am. Again I wasn't exactly sure if you were referring to my post or not, but I wanted to clarify my comments anyway as when I read back on them it did seem like I was focusing more on the "bad" occasions...

I also had extremely good luck at the end of the night, either the Riverside bus was waiting for me or it pulled up within 5 minutes.

We've been having great bus experiences too, no wait has been longer than about 3 minutes so far, and twice the bus has pulled in just as we were arriving at the bus stop.

Oh, and as an FYI, the main South Depot bus stop currently has some work being done on the concrete section between the two stops, which has temporarily closed the shortcut footpath leading back to Alligator Bayou. Detour routes are signposted via the main building and past the Riverside Mill:

upload_2015-8-25_7-32-12.png

Andre

FWIW, I don't know who you are referring to as I also posted a review a page back but I just want to reiterate that bus service was good for me. I was there for 10 days and used the busses a lot. I see in my post I estimated that I rode the busses 25 times, well that is a pretty low estimate. I stayed for 10 days and I would say I used them 4 times a day (once going to the park, back to the resort at like 230- 3 pm, then back to the parks for the evening and back to the resort at night) So only having 3 bad instances is really good, kind of what I was trying to say in my original post. And one of them was just because the driver didn't really know what he was doing. I didn't have to stand much either, but I also don't go to the parks at rope drop. I usually arrived at the bus stop at 10:30-11 am. Again I wasn't exactly sure if you were referring to my post or not, but I wanted to clarify my comments anyway as when I read back on them it did seem like I was focusing more on the "bad" occasions...

I also had extremely good luck at the end of the night, either the Riverside bus was waiting for me or it pulled up within 5 minutes.
I think the poster was referring to older posts - POR and CBR tend to get bashed for having too many bus stops and horrible transportation. I've never had a problem at either -- have I gotten on a bus as soon as I walked to the stop, maybe once, have I gotten to the park I wanted to get to and enjoyed my day, ALWAYS. The worst bus service I've consistently experienced is at the GF -- mainly because you don't need to take a bus from there to get to the MK, and can easily walk to the TTC for Epcot and DHS. Like I said, they do the best they can for what they have to work with!

Tom

I think the poster was referring to older posts - POR and CBR tend to get bashed for having too many bus stops and horrible transportation. I've never had a problem at either -- have I gotten on a bus as soon as I walked to the stop, maybe once, have I gotten to the park I wanted to get to and enjoyed my day, ALWAYS. The worst bus service I've consistently experienced is at the GF -- mainly because you don't need to take a bus from there to get to the MK, and can easily walk to the TTC for Epcot and DHS. Like I said, they do the best they can for what they have to work with!

Tom

I've been lucky enough to never really have a problem with the busses. I can't really remember what the waits were like when I stayed at the Poly years ago but I know they weren't too bad. Thing about the monorail resorts are even though that you are close to the MK you are pretty far from the other parks. Animal Kingdom is pretty far away (which it is for a lot of resorts) same with DTD. But even the DHS ride took a long time since you had to stop at the GF then go to DHS.

We're staying at Riverside for the first time next month. We have 2 preferred rooms booked, and did ask for connecting. Is there any other recommendations on what we should request?

We're staying at Riverside for the first time next month. We have 2 preferred rooms booked, and did ask for connecting. Is there any other recommendations on what we should request?

It depends on what you want. I always like a higher floor, because it's not as noisy. Having a preferred location takes care of what I think is the most important request!

Thanks!

I would take a cab to the CR and then just walk right over.

Tom

We had luck catching a direct bus from POR South Depot to MK (no other stops) at about 7 on our last trip, but it was nerve-racking. This time our back up plan is to grab a cab to CR if a bus doesn't show up by 7. We have 2 pre-park MK ADRs this time (next Wednesday and Friday, yahoo!). I have heard that the pre-park crowds have picked up with BOG breakfasts, so just expect that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter