• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been close to 15 yrs since they had anything except pins, as the only resort specific merch.

I got an ornament 7 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I saw other items. (I haven't been to WDW since, so I don't know if they've had anything more recently).

Hi all!

We will be at POR for the first time March 14-21. I'm wondering about the laundry situation, specifically payment.

Is it coins only or is there a change-maker or credit card option. I'm asking because while it's easy for us to get US dollars, change is harder to come by...

Thanks to everyone who keeps this thread up-to-date. I don't post, but have been subscribed for over a year & am super excited for our first stay at POR!!

Hi all!

We will be at POR for the first time March 14-21. I'm wondering about the laundry situation, specifically payment.

Is it coins only or is there a change-maker or credit card option. I'm asking because while it's easy for us to get US dollars, change is harder to come by...

Thanks to everyone who keeps this thread up-to-date. I don't post, but have been subscribed for over a year & am super excited for our first stay at POR!!

That's a good question. We are going in 17 days and I hadn't even thought of that. I think the last time I went, it took quarters and since I had brought quarters with me, I didn't notice if there was a change machine. However, we were at CBR that time. I'm sure they all run the same.

Anyone else a little disappointed in the POR merchandise?

I'm not thrilled with the riverboat pictured on everything. Now if it was the boat you take to Downtown Disney, or a picture of the main building with the paddlewheel, or even a horse and carriage, something specific to POR. But a riverboat? :( I do have the matted photo in a frame, as DD bought that for me on our trip last year and I love it. Would have enjoyed the mug, Christmas ornament and throw with another picture but will pass on them this trip. :(

I have to agree, would rather have something that is actually at POR like MIGrandma mentioned. Maybe it is just a Michigan thing, since that is where we are originally from:laughing:

Got home last night, and I miss POR already :sad: but, one day, we will be back! Again, thank you to everyone here for the advice, tips, and answering my questions!

On the last day, my GF found out about the Marathon Weekend, and now she wants to do it next year! I don't think I'll bring the kids this time, just her and me for a quiet weekend, and her going running 48.6 miles (she's going for Dopey!) Now I'm wondering, do we come back to POR, or do we go try for a monorail resort?

I have to agree, would rather have something that is actually at POR like MIGrandma mentioned. Maybe it is just a Michigan thing, since that is where we are originally from:laughing:
Off topic, but my Best friend lives 10 min. From Destins beach and she and I are both from MI. Small world!:goodvibes

I've never heard of them emailing back, AND giving room # :confused3 is this something new?

Emailing is not unheard of, but it's very unusual to give out a room number in advance other than in certain exceptional circumstances (medical reasons for example). The main reason is that there's no guarantee any given room will actually be available on the day, even if it's blocked out in advance (e.g. if a previous guest caused some damage which might take a few days to repair).

I'm not thrilled with the riverboat pictured on everything.

Well the riverboat motif has always been the main symbol of the resort:

PortOrleansResort-RiverboatLogo.png

Personally I'd have preferred they use the existing logo type though, as the one they've created for this new merchandise looks rather drab and lacking in design flair compared to the resort's official logo.

POR's five laundries are all coin-operated, and yes there is a change machine provided in each one. You cannot pay by card or by magic-band at POR (unlike POFQ, where you can only pay by credit/debit card, not coins)

Andre

POR's five laundries are all coin-operated, and yes there is a change machine provided in each one. You cannot pay by card or by magic-band at POR (unlike POFQ, where you can only pay by credit/debit card, not coins) Andre

Thanks Andre!

Thanks Andre that's what I thought about room #s. Maybe I'll get an email this time :upsidedow.

I know generally it's 4-5 days before check in to fax, but I am going to be in S. Florida arriving 5 days before we drive up to WDW, so what's the earliest I can fax do you think?

I know generally it's 4-5 days before check in to fax, but I am going to be in S. Florida arriving 5 days before we drive up to WDW, so what's the earliest I can fax do you think?

You can fax as early as you like, but generally they don't start looking at requests until 5 days out (closer than that for single rooms) so your fax will probably get stored in the meantime rather than being actioned when it arrives.

Andre

We are returning for our second visit April 25- May 1, 2015. We have reserved a Preferred room again this time. We loved being so close especially when it rained and we had a fair amount of rain our first visit. Unfortunately there are no preferred rooms available for the spring discount.

We have dining reservations at The Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. How do we get there from POR and how long is the trip?

We have dining reservations at The Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. How do we get there from POR and how long is the trip?

From POR it's best to take the bus to MK and then hop on the monorail or boat to the Polynesian. Take the boat from MK to the Wilderness Lodge.

Depending on what time your meals are I would give at least an hour for transportation. All transportation runs frequently but you never know how busy things will be at the time.

From POR it's best to take the bus to MK and then hop on the monorail or boat to the Polynesian. Take the boat from MK to the Wilderness Lodge. Depending on what time your meals are I would give at least an hour for transportation. All transportation runs frequently but you never know how busy things will be at the time.

Thank you very much for the information...love this forum.

I have another question. We are booked Preferred. With the new spring offer, there are no preferred available, but there is Royal Garden view. My biggest concern is the distance. We walked along the mansions when we were there before but I don't recall the actual distance. We had a fair amount of rain last time so I am a little cautious to change. But it would also be nice to sample a different type of room. We can save About $300 Usd which is even more for us in CAD with the present exchange. Decisions???

Thank you very much for the information...love this forum.

I have another question. We are booked Preferred. With the new spring offer, there are no preferred available, but there is Royal Garden view. My biggest concern is the distance. We walked along the mansions when we were there before but I don't recall the actual distance. We had a fair amount of rain last time so I am a little cautious to change. But it would also be nice to sample a different type of room. We can save About $300 Usd which is even more for us in CAD with the present exchange. Decisions???

Last time we stayed in Magnolia Terrace (building 85) and wee loved it so much. It's about the same distance away as the furthest preferred rooms are from the main building. There is also a bus depot right behind the mansion. As a couple with no children it was the perfect spot for us. It was peaceful and beautiful. It really was only about a 5 min walk from our room to the main building.

If you can fit it into your schedule try dinner at Boatwright's.

Last time we stayed in Magnolia Terrace (building 85) and wee loved it so much. It's about the same distance away as the furthest preferred rooms are from the main building. There is also a bus depot right behind the mansion. As a couple with no children it was the perfect spot for us. It was peaceful and beautiful. It really was only about a 5 min walk from our room to the main building. If you can fit it into your schedule try dinner at Boatwright's.

I just got off the phone with our travel agent. We are changing to the Royal rooms with a Garden View. The pictures we looked at were beautiful and a 5 minute walk is nothing. It will help burn some calories. We have an evening not planned that we are spending at the resort ( I am OCD for planning...lol) so Boatwrights sounds like a good plan. We are hoping to spend an evening in the bar with Yeehaw Bob too. We didn't get to do that last time. I am getting so excited to go....I so love Disney!
Thanks for the information. I certainly appreciated it :)

16 days til we arrive. I am getting so excited. We're so close that I'm afraid I'm going to forget something like faxing in my room request. I need to make a note to do that on the 17th or 18th of the month.

I just got off the phone with our travel agent. We are changing to the Royal rooms with a Garden View. The pictures we looked at were beautiful and a 5 minute walk is nothing. It will help burn some calories. We have an evening not planned that we are spending at the resort ( I am OCD for planning...lol) so Boatwrights sounds like a good plan. We are hoping to spend an evening in the bar with Yeehaw Bob too. We didn't get to do that last time. I am getting so excited to go....I so love Disney!
Thanks for the information. I certainly appreciated it :)

You're very welcome. Have a great trip.

I just got off the phone with our travel agent. We are changing to the Royal rooms with a Garden View. The pictures we looked at were beautiful and a 5 minute walk is nothing. It will help burn some calories. We have an evening not planned that we are spending at the resort ( I am OCD for planning...lol) so Boatwrights sounds like a good plan. We are hoping to spend an evening in the bar with Yeehaw Bob too. We didn't get to do that last time. I am getting so excited to go....I so love Disney! Thanks for the information. I certainly appreciated it :)
Now no Royal Garden views available for the special.....ARGGGGG...so we changed to a Royal room with a Standard view with a $50 extra cost with the hopes of something coming available for the promo.....3 mths left to go so we will be hoping. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter