Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just doing some updates to the site, including adding graphs of the 2015 rack rates (see www.portorleans.org/roomrates.php for the full breakdowns) which seem to show up a few strange anomalies.

Why are Riverside River View rooms at their most expensive on Memorial Day ($340/night), when even at Christmas they are only $331? Even a Royal River View room is cheaper for that weekend. And in the Spring/Summer, the incremental increase from Standard View to River View is now as much as a whopping $78/night extra:

POR-RackRates-2015.png

However the Royal Rooms are now going for much less of a premium than before - for example during the summer, Garden, Pool and River View Royal Rooms all cost exactly the same, just $6/night more than Standard View Royal Rooms. So if you're paying for a Royal Room anyway, then definitely consider an upgrade to River View:

POR-RGR-RackRates-2015.png

And French Quarter is now generally quite a bit cheaper than Riverside for most dates, and has somewhat less of an increment when moving up between categories (and during the summer, FQ River View is cheaper than Pool View!):

POFQ-RackRates-2015.png

Food for thought anyway.

Andre

I know this is kind of a sad question to ask.. but.. so i am super excited for our trip coming up, but unfortunately DH needs to get work done while we are there. We are planning on coming back to POR most nights on the earlier end, I will go to bed with kids and DH will need to do work somewhere. Q is, where can he get work done outside of our room? He will need to be able to plug in a lap top. Is there a lobby area or some kind of area he can work in each night? TIA!
(Edit: We will be staying in RRs if that matters)

Q is, where can he get work done outside of our room? He will need to be able to plug in a lap top. Is there a lobby area or some kind of area he can work in each night?

The main lobby has good Wi-Fi, and I'm sure he could find somewhere with a power outlet to recharge. The River Roost lounge would be anther good place, but a bit noisy on nights when Bob is performing. Or even a quiet corner of the food court.

Andre

I have a quick question. Has anyone attempted to put a bed rail on one of the fold down beds? I wasn't sure if this would even be possible. I have a five year old that rolls out of bed often. Thanks!

I hadn't thought of using it for in-room storage--that would be an advantage. If you put it under the clothes rack, where do you put your suitcases? From looking at the floor plans, it looks like that is the best out-of-the way place for them.

Is putting the stroller on the bus much of a hassle? I like the idea of having it for the long walks when not in the parks, but not having to deal with it and the busses.

We also nest our suitcases, but we put them between the bed and the wall (snug fit) in the corner by the headboard and then we use it like a small bedside table.
We have been taking 1 to 2 strollers for 10 years now and we have gotten into a normal routine that for us it's not a hassle at all:) We fold it up before the bus comes and I will head straight to the back door and stand with it. Once we are on our way to the park or resort I may sit down if there are seats available. The only hassles will be if people are sitting with their strollers in front of them, then it makes it more difficult. We also will usually step aside if standing room only and wait for the next bus.

I will head straight to the back door and stand with it.

We had such a hassle with POR bus drivers about this last year. Some would open the back door to let DH board/unboard. Other's made him duck walk up the aisle holding it. Some would tell him to stand in front of the back door while the bus was in motion. Others would tell him that was an emergency exit and he couldn't have the stroller there. We had similar issues with the boat captains (you can leave it open, no you can't, it has to go up front, it has to go in the back, etc). We really don't care how they want us to deal with the stroller. We will follow whatever the rule is. It would just be nice if it was consistent.

We didn't have any issues with POP (2009), AOA (2012), or GF (same trip) bus or boat drivers. It seemed to be centered at POR but that doesn't make sense (for the busses) because I don't think the drivers are assigned a specific route.

Got back from POR late on Sunday. Finally have the time to go through all my photos (I took a lot of them).
POR is easily one of the most photogenic places on Earth. It's so beautiful - I miss it so much! :(
Is there a tread in the Photography forums where I can post pictures of POR or can I post them here?

10603940_539568452845325_9106233227597852287_o.jpg

Got back from POR late on Sunday. Finally have the time to go through all my photos (I took a lot of them).
POR is easily one of the most photogenic places on Earth. It's so beautiful - I miss it so much! :(
Is there a tread in the Photography forums where I can post pictures of POR or can I post them here?

Here is the thread for photos...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1730158&page=114

BTW that is one awesome image!

What a beautiful picture! It looks like it could be used on a postcard!

I took it around 6:30 in the morning on October 28th - exactly one week ago...
*sigh*

AMAZING! I am into photography as well. That was an amazing shot! I have figured that is the best time to take the photos you want with no one wondering into the shot. Again, nice share!

I took it around 6:30 in the morning on October 28th - exactly one week ago...
*sigh*

Thanks! I feel your sorrow. We go in January and due to DH retiring soon we will only be able to go once after that. I don't know how we'll get over not going after 30 yrs straight. :worried:

We had such a hassle with POR bus drivers about this last year. Some would open the back door to let DH board/unboard. Other's made him duck walk up the aisle holding it. Some would tell him to stand in front of the back door while the bus was in motion. Others would tell him that was an emergency exit and he couldn't have the stroller there. We had similar issues with the boat captains (you can leave it open, no you can't, it has to go up front, it has to go in the back, etc). We really don't care how they want us to deal with the stroller. We will follow whatever the rule is. It would just be nice if it was consistent.

We didn't have any issues with POP (2009), AOA (2012), or GF (same trip) bus or boat drivers. It seemed to be centered at POR but that doesn't make sense (for the busses) because I don't think the drivers are assigned a specific route.

Wow! We have done a lot of trips in the last 10 years and not once have I been told that I could not stand there. I know you cannot just leave a stroller by the back door, which I have seen people try and do, but I always stand with it. I also know that you cannot enter the bus through the back door, only for wheelchairs etc. For the boats only once did we have to fold it and that was because there were a bunch of strollers and they would not all fit up front opened. We will be at POFQ next month, so I will see what happens.

There was one boat driver that was so cranky he adjusted his rearview mirror so that he was watching us. He kept an eye on us through the entire trip, like I was going to suddenly stand up and switch places with my 8 year old. (He wouldn't let her sit next to the rail. She had to have an aisle seat.)

There was one boat driver that was so cranky he adjusted his rearview mirror so that he was watching us. He kept an eye on us through the entire trip, like I was going to suddenly stand up and switch places with my 8 year old. (He wouldn't let her sit next to the rail. She had to have an aisle seat.)
There are laws that should be enforced by all bus drivers. I would think if you get different answers from bus drivers it is probably because 1) They are tired of fighting it out with guests who argue about it, (not saying that's you), 2) they just don't care if they get fired, 3) they stick to the rules because they can't afford to lose their job or get sued by a guest for not "making" them stand/sit in the right place. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter