Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stayed at both CSR and POR. I liked POR much better. Both are large resorts but POR didn't have the feeling of a large resort due to the layout. Preferred would definitely be the closest. Rather than request the mansions, I would call in a request for as close to the food court as possible due to your mother's mobility issues. The walk from some rooms in the mansions isn't bad but you'll find that some garden rooms in AB are closer. You can also fax the resort about 5 days in advance indicating that you were unable to book a preferred room due to the discount not being available, again mentioning your mother's mobility issues. There is information about faxing on the first page and in Venomhatch's signature as well as on portorleans.org.

So sounds like they are close in size. I am definately going to follow the info at the start of the thread with a request. The room assigners should have a better suggestion to where we should be for our needs. I made the request, but if they have a better one we go with it. Besides, wherever we ar ewill be good, at least there is the bus that stops at different spots, which helps ability to get to front of resort! Thanks!

Thinking about a stay at POR this December, it's a really short 4 day trip where half of our party will be enjoying disney and the other half will be at a convention nearby in Orlando (durning the days and early evenings).

I thought POR might be nice since there is a boat to DTD that gives us easy access for shopping and also for transferring to other resorts (via buses) to see the holiday decorations. My biggest concern is I was wondering if you can get an motorized wheelchair on the boat to DTD? If not we wouldn't be able to use the boat, and that is one of the biggest draws for us staying at POR, that and the royal rooms!

Thinking about a stay at POR this December, it's a really short 4 day trip where half of our party will be enjoying disney and the other half will be at a convention nearby in Orlando (durning the days and early evenings).

I thought POR might be nice since there is a boat to DTD that gives us easy access for shopping and also for transferring to other resorts (via buses) to see the holiday decorations. My biggest concern is I was wondering if you can get an motorized wheelchair on the boat to DTD? If not we wouldn't be able to use the boat, and that is one of the biggest draws for us staying at POR, that and the royal rooms!

yep, boats have an area right up front for wheelchairs.

Posted this in resort thread, but maybe would be best to post this in the POR specific thread! :)

OK, so the single largest almost universal criticism that keeps popping up in my research of this resort is that the busing is lacking compared to the other moderates. We stayed in a LK suite this summer at AoA with dedicated resort busing and only one resort stop, have to say that was pretty nice.

For those that have stayed at POR, what have your experiences been with this? I have heard there are a lot of situations where you have to stand due to over crowding, even during non-peak times (in other words, not referring to post wishes MK evacuation). I have also heard bus waits and trips can be very long compared to other resorts, I assume due to do multiple stops, including POFQ?

So, if so, what are some strategies you have found to help with it? Are there particular bus stops within the resort that seem better than others? Wife and I will be traveling with a 5 and 4 year old so we would love to avoid standing when possible.

Thanks for the tips and feedback in advance!

Posted this in resort thread, but maybe would be best to post this in the POR specific thread! :) OK, so the single largest almost universal criticism that keeps popping up in my research of this resort is that the busing is lacking compared to the other moderates. We stayed in a LK suite this summer at AoA with dedicated resort busing and only one resort stop, have to say that was pretty nice. For those that have stayed at POR, what have your experiences been with this? I have heard there are a lot of situations where you have to stand due to over crowding, even during non-peak times (in other words, not referring to post wishes MK evacuation). I have also heard bus waits and trips can be very long compared to other resorts, I assume due to do multiple stops, including POFQ? So, if so, what are some strategies you have found to help with it? Are there particular bus stops within the resort that seem better than others? Wife and I will be traveling with a 5 and 4 year old so we would love to avoid standing when possible. Thanks for the tips and feedback in advance!

We're planning on renting a car and using it for the parks, except for MK. We haven't stayed here either but had read that criticism too.

Just to say : we are back from a 14 days at P.OR, our very first time in wdw, and a trip of a lifetime ! Everything was perfect, this resort is gorgeous, bob jackson a must see and listen, the pools funtastic...the only problem ? Leaving and coming home xxc

Can someone comment on this room? Are they in a preferred location or what location requests should I make? I'm hoping close to main building. I'm a little apprehensive but excited and willing to try ::yes::

My daughter (8yrs old) and I stayed here last December in the Royal room and it was fantastic! I don't know where they all are exactly throughout the resort, but we were very close to the pool. The decor never got old to us and with all there is to do at the resort itself, we never wanted to leave. I watched a few walk-throughs on YouTube of this room before we went. Gives you a good idea what to expect.

We did a quick weekend trip in June and stayed at POR and fell in love... I can hardly wait to go back.. Not a complaint one here! :love:

Thinking about a stay at POR this December, it's a really short 4 day trip where half of our party will be enjoying disney and the other half will be at a convention nearby in Orlando (durning the days and early evenings). I thought POR might be nice since there is a boat to DTD that gives us easy access for shopping and also for transferring to other resorts (via buses) to see the holiday decorations. My biggest concern is I was wondering if you can get an motorized wheelchair on the boat to DTD? If not we wouldn't be able to use the boat, and that is one of the biggest draws for us staying at POR, that and the royal rooms!

My mum uses an ECV as she can't walk. We found the boat to be the easiest mode of transport to embark/disembark for her. It was great. Don't worry.

Posted this in resort thread, but maybe would be best to post this in the POR specific thread! :)

OK, so the single largest almost universal criticism that keeps popping up in my research of this resort is that the busing is lacking compared to the other moderates. We stayed in a LK suite this summer at AoA with dedicated resort busing and only one resort stop, have to say that was pretty nice.

For those that have stayed at POR, what have your experiences been with this? I have heard there are a lot of situations where you have to stand due to over crowding, even during non-peak times (in other words, not referring to post wishes MK evacuation). I have also heard bus waits and trips can be very long compared to other resorts, I assume due to do multiple stops, including POFQ?

So, if so, what are some strategies you have found to help with it? Are there particular bus stops within the resort that seem better than others? Wife and I will be traveling with a 5 and 4 year old so we would love to avoid standing when possible.

Thanks for the tips and feedback in advance!

i believe if you check out the first few pages it will give yout the "usual" bus order for each park. We went in May and used the south depot and yes it could be pretty crowded at the times you would expect it to be. We looked at the crowd one day and just got in a cab for our ADR's. 20 bucks well spent. Coming back it seemed there was sometimes a large crowd waiting at the POR stop and no one at the FQ so we used the FQ buses coming back a lot and just walked to POR. All that said, the bus service in nowhere bad enough to deter us from returning here.

i believe if you check out the first few pages it will give yout the "usual" bus order for each park. We went in May and used the south depot and yes it could be pretty crowded at the times you would expect it to be. We looked at the crowd one day and just got in a cab for our ADR's. 20 bucks well spent. Coming back it seemed there was sometimes a large crowd waiting at the POR stop and no one at the FQ so we used the FQ buses coming back a lot and just walked to POR. All that said, the bus service in nowhere bad enough to deter us from returning here.

Thanks. I found some more good info here as well... http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php

Good to hear your (and other's) thoughts on this as well. People on the boards have generally proven pretty objective when discussing their experiences with things like this!

Transportation question! My friends have a reservation at 'Ohana at 8:45am on a non EMH morning. Traditionally, I would have told them to take the bus from POR to Magic Kingdom around 7:45am and then transfer to a monorail to the Polynesian. Since the monorail won't be running that early, will the boats or buses be the best option from the Magic Kingdom to the Poly?

I plan to book our March vacation very soon, maybe tonight. We've never stayed at POR. We've only ever stayed at Poly, and that was only twice. Looking forward to a new resort that actually has a working pool. We just stayed at Poly and the pool was closed:( We are doing a split trip between Royal Pacific at Universal and POR. I wanted to book a river view at POR, but the price difference is showing as $50/night. Royal Pacific was only $20 more per night for a water view, so we'll do it there. I'm still looking forward to POR though. Looks like a great family hotel with lots of pools, activities, and character. Looks like there are a decent number of QS options too.

Transportation question! My friends have a reservation at 'Ohana at 8:45am on a non EMH morning. Traditionally, I would have told them to take the bus from POR to Magic Kingdom around 7:45am and then transfer to a monorail to the Polynesian. Since the monorail won't be running that early, will the boats or buses be the best option from the Magic Kingdom to the Poly?

Once you get to the Magic Kingdom you could even walk to Poly it is not very far at all. You might actually get their faster if the boat/bus had just left

I have read how big(small lol) the room safes are but what do people do with their laptops or gaming systems if they cant fit them into safe?::cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter