Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would normally have suggested that, but didn't I read that the temporary location for Captain Cook's will not be serving Dole Whips? (shock horror!!!)Andre

Yeah all to true. I forgot they weren't setting up a temp one. I haven't been over at the poly for the past three weeks anyhow so I don't know how far they have gotten in the work. I know I can see the beach from here. But work retraining CMs has me busy elsewhere so all I get to see is across lagoon.

If anyone has a chance to take the boats from POR to DTD, I hope you get to ride with a Captain named Jim. He is the only Jim I know doing the water taxi to DTD and he is very cool. I went over there last week to visit the grounds and he was my Captain both ways and keeps the trip both ways very interesting.

Taking the boat from POR to DTD is one of the reasons we wanted to stay here. We will keep an eye out for Jim. Hopefully, he will be our captain.

Yeah all to true. I forgot they weren't setting up a temp one. I haven't been over at the poly for the past three weeks anyhow so I don't know how far they have gotten in the work. I know I can see the beach from here. But work retraining CMs has me busy elsewhere so all I get to see is across lagoon.

If anyone has a chance to take the boats from POR to DTD, I hope you get to ride with a Captain named Jim. He is the only Jim I know doing the water taxi to DTD and he is very cool. I went over there last week to visit the grounds and he was my Captain both ways and keeps the trip both ways very interesting.

I am taking my very first POR to DTD boat ride tomorrow evening. :) I will keep an eye out for Jim!!

Cant wait to return to POR! We were there in 2012 in a RGR and are going again in October with free dining staying in a RGR! Its our favorite resort!

Hi,

To make a long story short, we were having problems with our MDE account. As it turned out we had our email associated with MDE and my DH's ESPN Fantasy Baseball account which is also owned by Disney. There were two different logins. In the process of getting this fixed (6 phone--calls lasting 45 minutes to 1 hour each), my SIL's cousin's daughter was added to my reservation. I hardly know this kid! We had a Magical Gathering 3 years ago and her family went. Somehow her name got linked to my reservation. I've tried to call three times and still can't get her removed. It's listed as: Guest #1 me, guest #2 DH, guest #3 mystery kid, guest #4 DS, guest #5 DD. We aren't being charged for her, but I think it's weird that I can't have her removed.

Here's one of my concerns: I want to request Mansion section. We only have four of us, so this is possible for us. If POR thinks we have five, I'm afraid we'll be placed in Alligator Bayou automatically. I like both sections, but we really want mansions. This s our 21st anniversary trip (couldn't go for 20th), so we wanted to stay at the same resort and section that we did on our honeymoon back in 1993. I know it's sentimental, but I am hopeful!

DisneyCDL said:
Hi,

To make a long story short, we were having problems with our MDE account. As it turned out we had our email associated with MDE and my DH's ESPN Fantasy Baseball account which is also owned by Disney. There were two different logins. In the process of getting this fixed (6 phone--calls lasting 45 minutes to 1 hour each), my SIL's cousin's daughter was added to my reservation. I hardly know this kid! We had a Magical Gathering 3 years ago and her family went. Somehow her name got linked to my reservation. I've tried to call three times and still can't get her removed. It's listed as: Guest #1 me, guest #2 DH, guest #3 mystery kid, guest #4 DS, guest #5 DD. We aren't being charged for her, but I think it's weird that I can't have her removed.

Here's one of my concerns: I want to request Mansion section. We only have four of us, so this is possible for us. If POR thinks we have five, I'm afraid we'll be placed in Alligator Bayou automatically. I like both sections, but we really want mansions. This s our 21st anniversary trip (couldn't go for 20th), so we wanted to stay at the same resort and section that we did on our honeymoon back in 1993. I know it's sentimental, but I am hopeful!

My question is: is there a better number for me to call to have this issue resolved tan the general reservation number?

My question is: is there a better number for me to call to have this issue resolved tan the general reservation number?

Try calling Tech support at (407) 939-7765. I bookmarked it from a previous thread. It was posted in the beginning of Magic Band testing.

We just got back from our POR stay and here is my input...

Past resorts include, Allstar, Poly, Contemporary, Beach Club... The POR is now our favorite resort with Beach Club right behind it.. Even at full capacity you could it tell. Even when eating in the quick service area it was peaceful.. Great atmosphere.

Negatives..
We arrived at 6am, knowing a room would not be ready.. We were told a room wasn't ready and they went over or requests and then said we would receive the normal text when the room is ready.. Cool. We gave our food and baggage to the luggage peeps the we changed in the lobby restroom and headed for Hollywood Studios to eat breakfast with StarWars.. It was awesome.. We rode some rides, had a great time but now being awake for over 30hours we were dying for a room. Still no text but it was only 11am.. So we sat around the resort waiting patiently for the text, which still hadn't come through. Kids were starving and our food was check in at luggage and we would really need a room to prepare the food so we decided to give in an pay the $55.00 for quick service meals :( food was great, and it was a pleasant experience.. Headed back to the main lobby and the kids just sat there watching the TV while the wife and I fully drained just laid back.. I passed out for a bit then woke up and people watched.. I noticed newcomers getting roomed immediately and was like ***...
So I went up to a CM to found out what the deal was and come to find out we had a room ready since 11am.. Just having spent $55.00 on a meal that was not accounted for I was not happy, but I was very relieved I was finally getting a room I could pass out in. My wife gave a few choice words to the lady and she explained it most likely wasn't our fault that they probably just mistyped the cell number that was getting the text.. That just pissed me off more but dead tired me just left for the room. My wife walked to the room with the kids and a Mr Hector driving a cart around noticed her looking upset so he stopped to ask if she was ok. She explained everything and he quickly apologized and gave us FP+s to use whenever. Cool, if we actually knew what this even was???
Next morning we had CP ressies so I quickly ran into the lobby to figure out how to use these FP+ things he left for us and the CM had no record of this on our room and the three CMs working had no clue who Hector was even though he claimed to be the grounds coordinator.....so that ended there.

I got over it all and enjoyed an excellent resort and great wdw vacation and am very happy with the POR overall. It was wonderful. We wanted a corner room first floor and got the corner room first floor facing the parking lot of building 24, probably the farthest room from the mainhouse lol.. But it was perfect. We drove so our car was literally 30ft from our door,we drove to all the parks and that made things easy. The walk we made nightly for pool time wasn't bad at all. Very peaceful.

The changing TV screens above each of the food counters if you could please. There are normally about 2 or 3 cycling pages for each menu screen, so a whole set for a given meal time is probably about 20 photos. As long as all of the text is readable, that's all I need - no fancy photography or anything. :) Some people have emailed from back at the room, some have sent via What's App from phones standing there in the food court, whatever works for you. Thanks for the offer! Andre

I will try to get what I can for you!!

Here now, and we love it!

Quick question...we are in AB, and we're wondering if there was a control for the window seat a/c unit. The kids are fine, but I'm a tad chilly and would love to turn it down a wee bit.

Here now, and we love it! Quick question...we are in AB, and we're wondering if there was a control for the window seat a/c unit. The kids are fine, but I'm a tad chilly and would love to turn it down a wee bit.

Ok scratch that..... We just found the control on the wall! LOL

Forgive me....it was 7:00 am and I hadn't had coffee yet.....

I'd suggest the Polynesian beach (what's left of it anyway). Drive over there and let the security gatehouse know you are looking at the resort for a possible future trip and eating at their snack location (Captain Cook's, which is temporarily located in the main lobby for a few months). Get a bite to eat and some drinks, and then head down to the beach and watch the show from there. The music is piped via speakers located beside the beach, but it's a good mile away so the firework noise isn't too loud. Try and catch the electrical water pageant too, a floating musical light display which usually passes by the Poly beach at around 9pm. Then drive back to POR - via the back route if you can (drive back past the TTC area with the ferry and monorail stations, turn right at the lights and then follow the signs past Fort Wilderness to POR).

Andre

Thanks for the suggestion!

We are booked for July 26th-31st at riverside. This will be our first time staying here. What are some hidden things that we should check out or do at the resort? Also we want to try boat wrights what are some recommendations there? We are on the dining plan also.

Andre -tried to get some pictures tonight but my phone died on me. Will try again. I won't get them all but I will get you whatever I can get!

Thank you. That would be great. Hope you get everything you want for your Magical Stay. Have a great time.
I am close to the foot bridge as requested and I got a corner room! I didn't request a corner room, but I am so happy they put me in one.

POR is so beautiful! I am in love with this Royal Room. It is gorgeous.

My daughter and I are here now, arrived Sunday. We have a river view royal room in Parterre Place, corner room on the second floor, exactly what I asked for in my reservation when I called to make it using passholder discount.:yay: I did online check-in too, asked for second floor, maybe corner room? I forget what the choices were. I did not FAX request. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at about 12:30, but I told the CM I'd rather have my requests than a room ready right then which she offered to look for. Within five minutes we got the text that our room was ready, so that was great.:)

We LOVE our room, love POR, have never stayed here before, we were at POFQ last year and loved it too. This resort is much bigger and I would probably be in trouble if I didn't have my car because I use a scooter and it is a pain to take it in and out of my car so when we have to go to the main building we have usually driven the car over. But we love our location because it is very quiet.

We have taken advantage of some great features. We swam in the pool this morning, watched Frozen on the lawn a couple of nights ago, took a carriage ride last night, roasted marshmallows last night, tried to take the boat to DTD tonight but thunder and lightning cancelled the ride after about five minutes so our captain had to take us back to POR. So my daughter and I drove to DTD instead. Maybe tomorrow we will have time for another try at the boat.

Overall we are really having a good time and love POR (unfortunately I came down with some illness yesterday and have a fever and cough so I'm not feeling terrific, but we are still happy to be here). My husband and I are scheduled for a November visit at WL, but I stayed there in January with my other daughter and really like POR better, so might switch if I can!

Thank you so much Andre for your fantastic site! It gave me so much information planning ahead. And also Venomhatch, for your terrific answers and positive attitude here! I have followed this thread for over a year, and really appreciate all the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter