Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well nothing negative to report. Except that if you request a certain room or area and request extra cleaning be prepared for it to be not an early morning check in.
What is "extra cleaning?"
We have a lot of allergies/dust issues in our families. I've never seen anything about "extra" cleanings, but would love to know more.
Thank you!

Hi! On the "what to pack" threads, people keep mentioning to bring plug strips. So I'm wondering how many different outlets there are in the POR rooms. Thanks!

Three that you can some what get to without a problem. One by the little table, 2nd one by the coffee maker where it is plugged into the wall, and 3rd by the hair dryer in the sink area. Now there is a 4th one that is behind the table between the beds but you have to pull the end table out a bit (not hard) and plug a power strip there. The fifth one is behind the tv area and is not easy to get to. I being power strips because of the anti surge ability of some. I don't plug my computer strait into the wall or cell phones.

What is "extra cleaning?"
We have a lot of allergies/dust issues in our families. I've never seen anything about "extra" cleanings, but would love to know more.
Thank you!

Just add that your family has allergies and you would like to inquire to asking for extra cleaning of the room for dust and other irritants to prevent anyone from getting sick or having reactions to the room. You may have to see my room request fax thread to see the methods of requesting this.

The Oak Manor roof refurbishment work which started back in January is continuing apace. So far, the central three-story section of the building is complete, as is the river-facing wing on the Parterre Place side (i.e. closest to the quiet pool and the footbridge over to the main buildings).

They are currently working on the northern river-facing wing (closest to Magnolia Terrace) and that should be completed on 9th May. Then work will move over to the parking lot side of the building, with a currently scheduled completion date of the 18th of July.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-MB-OakConstruction_forum.jpg

(Thanks to RiverRooster for the photo)

Andre

Just add that your family has allergies and you would like to inquire to asking for extra cleaning of the room for dust and other irritants to prevent anyone from getting sick or having reactions to the room. You may have to see my room request fax thread to see the methods of requesting this.

I didn't see anything specific in the request fax thread. Do you mean just include it in the request and fax it in?

Thank you for the roofing update, Andre!

I didn't see anything specific in the request fax thread. Do you mean just include it in the request and fax it in?

Thank you for the roofing update, Andre!

Yeah include it if you need it. It will definitely be performed but it may be a later check in for some. Mostly because of the carpet needing to dry before you go in to the room.

Venomhatch said:
Now just because he is smiling doesn't mean he is friendly, lol. Remember that!

I did notify through the right channels so if they found him he was most likely removed and relocated.

Ok Venomhatch, ;)), We will remember not to confide in the gator's smile if we meet him!!! :)))

Sent my fax request around and 1hr ago. So excited. We'll be checking in early Saturday morning.

We have a standard room booked for our upcoming trip. Since we have 5 people in the room I believe I understand that we will automatically be in the AB area; is that correct? Should I make any room request or will anything in that area be okay? We aren't super picky, just don't like a crazy long walk to the food court area.

Thanks!!

Still not completely sold on POR, but getting there. Went over everything again last night and I keep feeling like I am missing something when trying to choose the right Disney property for our stay. POR almost looks too good to be true.

We were considering a Royal room but now are thinking we'll want a Preferred since the Royal room does not have a king option. We want a Preferred with a King, if that is a thing. :cool1:

This resort seems to have everything we would want.
- Good location
- Decent accommodations
- Nice atmosphere/theme
- Reasonable price (for a Disney property)

My main goal for a resort is to provide me a comfortable and convenient place to rest my body as I get ready for another day in the park. The Deluxe resorts seem to offer things that I could only use if I spent more time on the property. Why would I want to do that?

So ... am I missing something?

My main goal for a resort is to provide me a comfortable and convenient place to rest my body as I get ready for another day in the park. The Deluxe resorts seem to offer things that I could only use if I spent more time on the property. Why would I want to do that?

This is way we have never stayed in a Deluxe. We just don't spend enough time at the resort to justify the cost. Now I dream when we finally take an adults only trip that we will try to stay at the Deluxe since we would be there more possibly.

Still not completely sold on POR, but getting there. Went over everything again last night and I keep feeling like I am missing something when trying to choose the right Disney property for our stay. POR almost looks too good to be true.

We were considering a Royal room but now are thinking we'll want a Preferred since the Royal room does not have a king option. We want a Preferred with a King, if that is a thing. :cool1:

This resort seems to have everything we would want.
- Good location
- Decent accommodations
- Nice atmosphere/theme
- Reasonable price (for a Disney property)

Keep in mind that preferred rooms are only in AB buildings. The theme there is very different from the mansion buildings. Everyone has their preference, for us we prefer the mansion building rooms. That's just something to think about :)

But this resort seems to be one of the top rated resorts in Disney and after staying there last time I can really see why. It is GORGEOUS! I really enjoyed our nice, slow morning strolls to the bus stop every morning. It's a really serene setting. I loved walking along the river.

I agree with you about the Deluxe resorts. We thought about staying at GF but decided that we didn't want to spend the money on amenities we know we won't have time to use on this next trip. And we both agreed we would miss POR!

Good luck in your decision making. But POR is definitely a good choice. :) :thumbsup2

This is way we have never stayed in a Deluxe. We just don't spend enough time at the resort to justify the cost. Now I dream when we finally take an adults only trip that we will try to stay at the Deluxe since we would be there more possibly.

Here, too. Think about it often, but the cost is so much more, I'd rather spend my $$ on something else. We are in the room so very little.

Alligator Bayou is a different vibe than the mansions...kinda reminds me of Northwest lodgy type places. I'd put in a request for a King, Magnolia near the footbridge. Excellent location.

Haven't been on in some time, but am getting excited about our second trip to WDW and POR. We first went in August of 2012, and are going back again this coming August. Had originally booked a standard room at AOA, but with a PIN code, our price at POR was almost identical, and I certainly could not pass that up. Excited to go back to such a great resort!

Haven't been on in some time, but am getting excited about our second trip to WDW and POR. We first went in August of 2012, and are going back again this coming August. Had originally booked a standard room at AOA, but with a PIN code, our price at POR was almost identical, and I certainly could not pass that up. Excited to go back to such a great resort!

Awesome! Did you get a pin mailed/emailed to you? I've never paid much attention, but lately many seem to be indicating they've gotten a pin code. I have trepidation about August...you're brave. I think I'd melt!

Well nothing negative to report. Except that if you request a certain room or area and request extra cleaning be prepared for it to be not an early morning check in. Mostly because previous tenants have til 11am to check out of the room. Then it requires a few sweeps of the room from Management and then floors to get shampoo vacuumed. So it can take a while to dry and process. All of the water craft are in fact gone, except POR CM operated boats and water taxis. Saw a 2.5foot Alligator on the pond edge in the area in the red circle on the map (Borrowed from PortOrleans.org).

Capture_zps2f6e64e8.png

The 1st parking lot is coming along very slowly in DTD. The watertaxis do not dock by Rain Forest they dock over by Characters In Flight Balloon Dock. There will be a new restaurant soon that will come and pick you up in a aqua car (ask me if you don't know what this is) and chauffeur you to a new restaurant by Fulton's Crab House and drive you right into the river from special boat docks and then surface at a special dock right at the restaurant.

For those who drive:
There is a lot of construction on I-4 Between 95 and Downtown Orlando Area so be careful.

That's all I can think of for now...

Thanks for the info. I am really interested in knowing more about this new restaurant with the aqua car that will pick us up. Tell me all about that. Our trip is not until January 2015 so I'm hoping it will be completed by then. Do you think it will be on the Disney Dinning Plan.

Thanks for the info. I am really interested in knowing more about this new restaurant with the aqua car that will pick us up. Tell me all about that. Our trip is not until January 2015 so I'm hoping it will be completed by then. Do you think it will be on the Disney Dinning Plan.

Here is the Info I can readily find on this restaurant.

"Pleasure Island's" Name will change to "The Landing"
Restaurant Name: The Boat House

Concept Art:
disney-springs_Full_19826.jpg;width=640

Video where they were buying and showing what one of the cars will look like and operate, warning there is profanity in the video so no kids around.

http://youtu.be/_Z5e5h6DRrc

Disney has not yet officially released any details regarding new restaurants coming to Disney Springs, but expected to be opening at the end of 2014. "Expected", not a promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter