Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only ever had beignets in England and France. I've never been to New Orleans. For a while POR and POFQ will be as close as I get.

Hope to get to New Orleans one day though!!!

We check in for our first POR stay June 1 :)

We currently have a Garden room booked and a request on file for an AB room. I want to follow up with a fax, but we are doing a week in 30a the week before. I can find a fax machine, but will the fax make a difference in your opinion?

My request will be AB and ground floor. Do those seem likely given the resort? My son is excited to finally have a non girly room option!

Welcome to the DISboards! Yes, portorleans.org is my site, and I'm glad you have found it useful. (Venomhatch helps people out a lot here on the DISboards by the way, but he's not connected with the running of portorleans.org).

To be honest, many of the AB buildings are near to some sort of swap feature, could you perhaps show us some pictures of the area that has taken your fancy so we can try to narrow it down for you?

When making faxed requests, it's often a good idea to explain what you want from a room (e.g. "overlooking one of the themed swamp/stream areas") rather than just giving a building number (which might result in you getting that building, but with a different type of view).

Andre

Thank you for the clarification about you and Venom. Once again, your site is absolutely wonderful.

It looks like I can't post a picture or a link yet because I am a new member, so I think my best bet is to request a room overlooking a themed swamp area like you suggested. We don't really care if we are close to the main buildings or bus stops, so we might have a chance at having our request met.

Hey all,

I know a lot about Disney, but in helping a friend plan a trip I found something I don't know:

They have a family of 4 (mom, dad, two boys age 6 & 9) but because one of their boys is really rolls around in his sleep, they REALLY want to get a room with a murphy bed in it so the boys have separate beds. They were told that they can't be guaranteed a murphy bed since they are only a family of 4. They are under the impression that if they book preferred at POR, they will be guaranteed a murphy bed. Is this true? Do ALL the alligator bayou rooms have murphy beds or only a portion? Do the preferred buildings all have murphy beds? I haven't been able to find this out on the FAQ.

TIA everyone!

Hey all, I know a lot about Disney, but in helping a friend plan a trip I found something I don't know: They have a family of 4 (mom, dad, two boys age 6 & 9) but because one of their boys is really rolls around in his sleep, they REALLY want to get a room with a murphy bed in it so the boys have separate beds. They were told that they can't be guaranteed a murphy bed since they are only a family of 4. They are under the impression that if they book preferred at POR, they will be guaranteed a murphy bed. Is this true? Do ALL the alligator bayou rooms have murphy beds or only a portion? Do the preferred buildings all have murphy beds? I haven't been able to find this out on the FAQ. TIA everyone!

Yes and someone can correct me if I'm wrong- all the preferred rooms are in the alligator bayou section so they all have Murphy beds.

Super excited to have found this thread. We're staying at POR for a night after our cruise and going to MK. This will be our first time doing anything at WDW. We'll be staying at CSR the night before our cruise. Just trying to get a feel for a couple of the resorts for hopefully the future when we do a WDW only trip.

Sorry if this has already been asked...

Does anyone know about how long it takes to get to Typhoon Lagoon from POR?

Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been asked...

Does anyone know about how long it takes to get to Typhoon Lagoon from POR?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, it's the same bus as the DTD bus. The ride itself is pretty short, maybe 10-15 minutes. In the morning, I think it stops at TL first before going to DTD. In the afternoon it's probably the opposite, but I can't say as I remember for sure.

If I remember correctly, it's the same bus as the DTD bus. The ride itself is pretty short, maybe 10-15 minutes. In the morning, I think it stops at TL first before going to DTD. In the afternoon it's probably the opposite, but I can't say as I remember for sure.

You know what, now that you said that, I actually remember stopping at TL before DTD last time.

So thanks for the info!!!

We check in for our first POR stay June 1 :)

We currently have a Garden room booked and a request on file for an AB room. I want to follow up with a fax, but we are doing a week in 30a the week before. I can find a fax machine, but will the fax make a difference in your opinion?

My request will be AB and ground floor. Do those seem likely given the resort? My son is excited to finally have a non girly room option!

Any input?

I was trying to book online, for a friend, and it won't allow me to book a preferred room for four nights. If I add a fifth night it becomes available. :confused3

Is there a rule about minimum number of nights for preferred rooms? Could I book it for four nights if I called, do you think?

I was trying to book Monday, October 20 - Friday, October 24. If I add in Sunday, October 19 it's still not available for preferred. If I add in Friday night though, checking out on Saturday, October 25, then it's available. Grrrr. They would stay until Saturday if they could, but they can't. Paying for a night they won't even be there just to get a preferred room seems silly.

I was trying to book online, for a friend, and it won't allow me to book a preferred room for four nights. If I add a fifth night it becomes available. :confused3

Just go ahead and book it so you've got the dates you want locked in, and then cancel the extra night via the Reservations Center phone line.

Any input?

Not sure quite what you want us to say that isn't in the FAQs or www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php, but personally I'd say what have you got to lose? Let them know why the request is important to you too - i.e. your son not wanting a 'girly' room. Such a general request as AB/ground floor would probably be left to the on-the-day room assignment folks anyway, but as long as they are aware of your desires then they will have something to go on.

Definitely get your requests noted on your original reservation too though, and also do online checkin (which gives a different pool of rooms for them to check when you actually get to the resort if you're not happy with the one they've pre-assigned for you).

Andre

Yeah, that was kinda in the back of my mind when I was doing the current revamp, but the first stage needed to be to get it into a simpler single-column layout which would allow me to start coding a mobile version around that.

I've been doing some more work towards better mobile styling of my portorleans.org site, and have just finished a complete forum software update and installed a new simple style specifically for mobile devices (which was one of the potential stumbling blocks). I've not activated it as a 'forced' style yet though, and I'd be grateful if some folks could test it on various mobile devices first (especially iPhones and Windows Phone). It will also work on tablets and desktops, but obviously looks a bit basic on those.

If you have a moment, could you go to www.portorleans.org/forum and sign in (or register if you don't have an account, it's quick and painless). Then go to your User Control Panel, and in the Board Preferences tab select "Mobile (test)" as your Board Style and have a play around with it. You can use the "Website/Technical" subfourm for test posts/replies if you wish. If no one has any problems I can then set this as the default style for mobile phone access. Thanks!

Andre

I've been doing some more work towards better mobile styling of my portorleans.org site, and have just finished a complete forum software update and installed a new simple style specifically for mobile devices (which was one of the potential stumbling blocks). I've not activated it as a 'forced' style yet though, and I'd be grateful if some folks could test it on various mobile devices first (especially iPhones and Windows Phone). It will also work on tablets and desktops, but obviously looks a bit basic on those. If you have a moment, could you go to www.portorleans.org/forum and sign in (or register if you don't have an account, it's quick and painless). Then go to your User Control Panel, and in the Board Preferences tab select "Mobile (test)" as your Board Style and have a play around with it. You can use the "Website/Technical" subfourm for test posts/replies if you wish. If no one has any problems I can then set this as the default style for mobile phone access. Thanks! Andre

I just registered and looked around and posted a test reply. Everything worked good, didn't have any problems whatsoever. I was on my iPad mini.

Just go ahead and book it so you've got the dates you want locked in, and then cancel the extra night via the Reservations Center phone line.

Andre

I didn't think of that. My mom always said I have no common sense lol. :rolleyes2

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter