Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm currently booked in Pop, because I tend to be a cheapskate. I am contemplating upgrading to POR, but the only rooms available with our package are the Royal rooms. Talk me into the upgrade. Are the rooms really THAT much better that it would be worth the $400 difference? What about sound? I've heard the walls are paper thin at Pop, and you can gphear everything from all the rooms around you. Is it the same at POR?

I'm currently booked in Pop, because I tend to be a cheapskate. I am contemplating upgrading to POR, but the only rooms available with our package are the Royal rooms. Talk me into the upgrade. Are the rooms really THAT much better that it would be worth the $400 difference? What about sound? I've heard the walls are paper thin at Pop, and you can gphear everything from all the rooms around you. Is it the same at POR?

Truly the only things we hear when at POR are toilets flushing in other rooms from time to time, and the deep booms of Illuminations.

We've never stayed value, but I'm not sure you'll find the rooms really worth the upgrade. They are a bit bigger. The theming is more 'refined' for an adult's tastes. Queen sized beds, which to us is huge - we cannot do doubles! But I think the real difference is the resorts themselves. A little more mature, and more relaxing than being surrounded in the oversized, super colourful icons throughout the values. Things are a whole lot less 'loud' and more serene.

To us, this is definitely worth it, even if we don't spend the time in our rooms. We love spending our down time at POR - it is just such a lovely peaceful spot.
Give it a try... you might be surprised at what you're not willing to give up afterwards!

Many years ago we stayed at a couple moderates. Then we switched over to the values because we couldn't see spending that much money on a room we only slept in. Then we had a bad experience at ASsp - kids in the pool screaming till way in the night and the sound of the neighboring rooms toilets flushing at all hours. We didn't get much sleep. Then we have also stayed at Pop twice. The first time it was noisy but we were coping with it. The last time on one side of us we had one mom that screamed at her kids every night and the other side of us we had a lot of adults in one room that partied every night. After 3 nights of no sleep and several complaints (they said they couldn't do anything) we insisted they find us a quieter location. They transferred us to POR! :cool1: The rooms were bigger, beds bigger, towels softer, nicer decor, nicer grounds, nicer food court and best of all it was quiet and we actually got to come back to our room and get some rest. If you did hear a toilet or people it was quieter and not disturbing. It was such a better experience that if I can I will never stay at a value again. I think Disney knew what they were doing giving us that upgrade. :goodvibes

Every family is different. We like peaceful, quiet and laid back. POR is perfect for that.

In August DH spotted a pair of otters at POR. He took video with his old phone. I'm gonna check if I downloaded it to our laptop.

This is what we woke up to last Saturday on our room door. Thankfully the kids saw it and shut the door right away! Boy- this little guy can jump FAR!
I miss POR already!

20140405_064608_zpscd7252f1.jpg

So cute! Thanks for posting, I've never seen any frogs during our stays!

I think it really depends on a lot of things. Are you traveling with others? Kids? How many? What's important to you and what do you need out of a room? Some place to just sleep at night or a bit more? If it was just me traveling, then no, I probably wouldn't drop the $400 on a Royal Room. But for my family of 4, we just don't fit comfortably in a Value room any more so Pop just wouldn't work for us.

It didn't take much arm twisting. I am officially booked in a Royal room in September. The theming is so fantastic, so I couldn't pass it up. My 2 year old is going to love it! My DH and I are both from Louisiana originally, so it will make us feel like home. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to take a walk over to POFQ for some beignets one morning. Now September needs to hurry up and get here.

Thanks for your input guys!!

It didn't take much arm twisting. I am officially booked in a Royal room in September. The theming is so fantastic, so I couldn't pass it up. My 2 year old is going to love it! My DH and I are both from Louisiana originally, so it will make us feel like home. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to take a walk over to POFQ for some beignets one morning. Now September needs to hurry up and get here.

:woohoo:
Congrats on the Royal Room.
I really wish the time before a vacation would speed up significantly then slow waaaaaaaay down like molasses on a cold January day while we're on vacation. :beach:

Congrats. I would make a request for Oak Manor! You'll love POR! Be sure you catch Bob Jacksons show, & take boat to DTD. POR food court is great. The make your own pasta bar is a fav!

I have a royal room booked, and requested "close to food court and upper floor". Should I have requested a certain building instead or is that sufficient?

I have a royal room booked, and requested "close to food court and upper floor". Should I have requested a certain building instead or is that sufficient?

That is perfect. It is always best to word your request to say what you want instead of just a building. This opens up more possibilities for the room assignor to grant your request.

That is perfect. It is always best to word your request to say what you want instead of just a building. This opens up more possibilities for the room assignor to grant your request.

Exactly. The absolutely closest few rooms within the Royal buildings are located near the river in Parterre Place, but in general Oak Manor tends to have a better selection of convenient rooms. So let the room allocators see what would work best for you.

Andre

Right, we kept our request general and ended up with a great room in Parterre Place. We were very close to the footbridge to the lobby and food court and to the quiet pool between Oak Manor and Parterre.

Hi, just to say it is so good times to read all you are telling about Port Orleans, we will be there 14 days in late july and august, and i am delighted every day to read these posts. I hope we will be able to see animals like this little frog or otters...thank you to all the people posting and giving info about POR. Special thanks to Andre Willey and Venomhatch of course. Xxx kisses from the French Newbies xxx isabelle

It didn't take much arm twisting. I am officially booked in a Royal room in September. The theming is so fantastic, so I couldn't pass it up. My 2 year old is going to love it! My DH and I are both from Louisiana originally, so it will make us feel like home. I'm pretty sure we're going to have to take a walk over to POFQ for some beignets one morning. Now September needs to hurry up and get here. Thanks for your input guys!!

When are you going? Thinking of switching to the royal rooms, hoping there available the time we go! Congrats!

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to take a walk over to POFQ for some beignets one morning. Now September needs to hurry up and get here.

Beignets...yummy! We might have to do the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter