Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on a few ideas to update the user interface at portorleans.org and make it a bit easier to use (also using the screen space better and hopefully making the code more scalable for mobile devices at a later stage). I don't want to turn the site into some ghastly Microsoft-like mess of large mostly-empty square boxes :) but just to make it a bit more of a pleasant experience without losing the basic look-and-feel.

Anyway, if anyone would like to comment, I've got a few test pages converted. All the menu links go back to the main site if you happen to click on them, but the pages should be suitable for trying out in different browsers, etc.

www.portorleans.org/testmenu.php
www.portorleans.org/testmenu2.php
www.portorleans.org/testmenu3.php (try clicking on items in the questions list)
www.portorleans.org/testmenu4.php
www.portorleans.org/testmenu5.php
www.portorleans.org/testmenu6.php

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.

Andre

Looks good to me and is easy to navigate!:thumbsup2

Mickey Mail arrived today!!:cheer2: Cannot wait to be at POR again and to introduce our best friends to WDW!!

I have a quick question - Because of trouble finding affordable flights we ended up having to travel the day before our original package begins. I ended up booking a room only reservation for the night before in a standard room at POR. The luggage tags we received today as part of our package have our original arrival date and confirmation number on them. Should I call ME to have them send us updated tags with our new arrival date and conf #? They may be on their way and we just haven't received them yet? :confused3

Thanks all!! Only 36 days to go!!

-Kelly

Mickey Mail arrived today!!:cheer2: Cannot wait to be at POR again and to introduce our best friends to WDW!!

I have a quick question - Because of trouble finding affordable flights we ended up having to travel the day before our original package begins. I ended up booking a room only reservation for the night before in a standard room at POR. The luggage tags we received today as part of our package have our original arrival date and confirmation number on them. Should I call ME to have them send us updated tags with our new arrival date and conf #? They may be on their way and we just haven't received them yet? :confused3

Thanks all!! Only 36 days to go!!

-Kelly
:cheer2: yay for Mickey Mail. I would call them about the luggage tags just to be sure.

I've been working on a few ideas to update the user interface at portorleans.org and make it a bit easier to use (also using the screen space better and hopefully making the code more scalable for mobile devices at a later stage). I don't want to turn the site into some ghastly Microsoft-like mess of large mostly-empty square boxes :) but just to make it a bit more of a pleasant experience without losing the basic look-and-feel.

Anyway, if anyone would like to comment, I've got a few test pages converted. All the menu links go back to the main site if you happen to click on them, but the pages should be suitable for trying out in different browsers, etc.

Andre

I like it, and everything I tested worked. I played with Chrome, Firefox, and IE11 on a windows 7 machine. I know testing on multiple browsers and configurations can be a real pain...
The site is great either way, but I probably do prefer the new menus across the top so the full width is available for content. The quick scrolling in the FAQs works nicely too.
Awesome site, great job. My parents and I have spent A LOT of time on there in preparation for our upcoming trip in September, and have always found what we were looking for. Thanks so much.

What is the scoop on on-line check in? I have read conflicting reports. Some say it reduces your odds of having requests met. Others say it makes no difference.

I was just going to fax my request and check in when I get there ...just in case there is any truth to the online check in rumor.

Hopefully you guys can clarify this.

I am so excited to be checking in THIS SUNDAY :) The kids don't know yet and I am beyond excited!!
Thanks for keeping up with this thread. This, along with Andre's site has been very helpful with my planning.

I've been working on a few ideas to update the user interface at portorleans.org and make it a bit easier to use (also using the screen space better and hopefully making the code more scalable for mobile devices at a later stage). I don't want to turn the site into some ghastly Microsoft-like mess of large mostly-empty square boxes :) but just to make it a bit more of a pleasant experience without losing the basic look-and-feel. Anyway, if anyone would like to comment, I've got a few test pages converted. All the menu links go back to the main site if you happen to click on them, but the pages should be suitable for trying out in different browsers, etc. www.portorleans.org/testmenu.php www.portorleans.org/testmenu2.php www.portorleans.org/testmenu3.php (try clicking on items in the questions list) www.portorleans.org/testmenu4.php www.portorleans.org/testmenu5.php www.portorleans.org/testmenu6.php I'd be interested to know people's thoughts. Andre

I like it!! Very easy to use/see on my iPhone. I like the menu bar across the top! Very nice :)

I really really like the changes to the site Andre. It is much easier to use and navigate from place to place. I too like the menu on top. You do such an amazing job and you are so appreciated for it. Your site helped me choose to POR for our trip next year. I wish it was sooner but going to your site helps me get my fix lol!

Andre

I like the info on the top better, it leaves more room in the other areas.

Andre

Like the updated pages. They look great and are very user friendly. As always, thanks for all the effort you put into this thread and the website :)

What is the scoop on on-line check in? I have read conflicting reports. Some say it reduces your odds of having requests met. Others say it makes no difference.

I was just going to fax my request and check in when I get there ...just in case there is any truth to the online check in rumor.

I know you asked Andre or Venomhatch, but I can say with extreme confidence that whether you do online check in or not has zero affect on whether you get your requests or not. :thumbsup2

I know you asked Andre or Venomhatch, but I can say with extreme confidence that whether you do online check in or not has zero affect on whether you get your requests or not. :thumbsup2

I agree

Andre: the new look is ver pleasing to the eye. Nice job.

Hopefully you guys can clarify this.

I am so excited to be checking in THIS SUNDAY :) The kids don't know yet and I am beyond excited!!
Thanks for keeping up with this thread. This, along with Andre's site has been very helpful with my planning.

Now online check-in has no impact on the requests. It did before, but not now.

Personally I say do the online checkin as early as you like, then fax at the normal 3-5 days out if you wish.

Doing online check actually helps the resort team to help you, as they know a bit more about your likely arrival time, etc. Also, if your room does get assigned on-the-day - as most are - then it will be done several hours before you get there (so your welcome pack is ready for you), meaning that if you are not happy with the room location that they've assigned for you, a fresh pool of available rooms will by then be showing on the system allowing them to look for other options.

I like it, and everything I tested worked. I played with Chrome, Firefox, and IE11 on a windows 7 machine. I know testing on multiple browsers and configurations can be a real pain...

Andre - love the new pages; especially the links along the top.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! I'm especially pleased with the top-menu 'docking' feature too (I might make the actual drop-down-list options a little bit taller though, to help on smaller screens until I eventually write some mobile-specific layout code).

Although it all looks pretty simple and flows nicely, there was actually quite a bit of work needed "under the hood" to get it play nicely with different browser types, etc. There's still a very minor top-menu position glitch in Opera, but as that browser only accounts for just over 1% of internet traffic I may just live with it. It's not specifically 'mobile-friendly' yet, but hopefully it will still be easier to use than the old layout.

All (!) I've got to do now is integrate the forum code into the new layout, but I'm hoping that will be mostly a case of removing some kludges that I had to design to support the old left-side menu, rather than doing too much new coding.

Andre

) The kids don't know yet and I am beyond excited!!Thanks for keeping up with this thread. This, along with Andre's site has been very helpful with my planning.

How did you keep this a secret??? lol Hubster & I are like little kids and told princess the day we decided to cancel our big anniversary trip to Alaska and go to Disney instead :lmao:

:welcome: to the DIS!

You can mention the engagement, won't hurt. Just don't be disappointed if there is no extra pixie dust. It is still a great resort and everyone will have a great time. :goodvibes

Thanks very much. I would not be disappointed because you are right, we will have a great time no matter what. We are looking forward to celebrating a very special occasion at the most magical place in the world! :love:

Andre

Really like it! It's fresh and user friendly. Great work!

When you send your FAX, I'd steer clear of any language that appears you're asking for an upgrade. From what I've read, it's the quickest way to not get one. Like someone else said, just mention the engagement. If you have any rm requests, you can tie it all in that way.

We're headed to POR soon, and I also have hope we'll somehow get magically upgraded to a RR, but am not holding my breath in the least. I'll be happy if we get AB, which I requested. But good luck. I hope you get some pixie dust!

Thank you very much. I will certainly be very subtle in my requests and try not to ask for too much. I hope you get some pixie dust as well! Upgrade or not, we will still have a magical trip. Whatever kind of room we end up in will not change that. Good luck! :wizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter