Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2014 (Please read first post for FAQs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry about your experience, POR is such a large resort that some of the buildings are a bit of a way out. Of course requests are never guaranteed, but usually they are pretty good at helping out guests with medical or special needs requirements (especially if you fax the resort directly) but it sounds like you slipped through the net this time. Correct, yes. Where to start!!! Let's put it this way, you won't find yourself short of places to take photos. There's a Royal Throne just on the river-facing side of Parterre Place which is a fun photo spot that you might not otherwise find. The big Alligator figures over at French Quarter are fun too. See the portorleans.org Galleries at http://www.portorleans.org/gallery.php for more ideas (about 3,000 of them). You can use the ferry boats between the two Port Orleans resorts, just get off at the next stop rather than carrying on to Downtown Disney. You can't go anywhere else but DTD though, where you can change for the Saratoga Springs or Old Key West services. Andre

Question, can you take a boat from Riverside to Saratoga Springs, switching at DTD? Was thinking of eating at the Artist's Pallete and was trying to think of the best way back to the resort.

As well has anyone ever been to The Artist's Pallete, I am looking for a great quick service the first evening we get there, that is not too far. Thank you!

Question, can you take a boat from Riverside to Saratoga Springs, switching at DTD

Yes, but you'll need to change boats at DTD, and the Port Orleans service and the DVC Resorts services both run from different docks. The DVC Resort boats operate from the West Side dock, while the Port Orleans ones run from the Rainforest Café dock (or currently the Pleasure Island dock during construction work)

Andre

I would like to clarify some of my experience this week. By no means would I ever discourage anyone from going to POR. The rooms and the grounds were FANTASTIC! So much more serene than CBR where we stayed last time. With the exception of some hectic mornings at morning breakfast (they really need some additional cashiers in the morning!) and some of the bus service (as a moderate resort, our bus stop should be closer to the gate!!!) everything else was great. Little secret: If you eat breakfast at the resort and most of the tables look full, there are tables at Boatwrights open for breakfast.....nice and quiet! Boat service to DTD was awesome, the pools were nice and warm, and Yeehaw Bob was fun! Any other questions on my experiences this week I will gladly answer as another viewpoint (not to step on the toes of Andre or Venomhatch). We ate at Ohana, Boma, Chef Mickeys, the Hoop Dee Doo, Hollywood and Vine, and the Yachtsman Steakhouse on this trip and can give pointers on those as well. Have a great day everyone!:)

I am returning to Disney this June and staying in a RPR again. My daughter really loved the headboards and all the theming in the room, so for me the money was worth it. I do agree that paying for a river room, however, would be a waste of money.

Yes, but you'll need to change boats at DTD, and the Port Orleans service and the DVC Resorts services both run from different docks. The DVC Resort boats operate from the West Side dock, while the Port Orleans ones run from the Rainforest Café dock (or currently the Pleasure Island dock during construction work) Andre

Thank you Andre!

A few years ago, we were able to take a bus to City Walk, Universal, does anyone know if this is still doable, or should I contact the resort personally? Thank you.

I would like to clarify some of my experience this week. By no means would I ever discourage anyone from going to POR. The rooms and the grounds were FANTASTIC! So much more serene than CBR where we stayed last time. With the exception of some hectic mornings at morning breakfast (they really need some additional cashiers in the morning!) and some of the bus service (as a moderate resort, our bus stop should be closer to the gate!!!) everything else was great. Little secret: If you eat breakfast at the resort and most of the tables look full, there are tables at Boatwrights open for breakfast.....nice and quiet! Boat service to DTD was awesome, the pools were nice and warm, and Yeehaw Bob was fun! Any other questions on my experiences this week I will gladly answer as another viewpoint (not to step on the toes of Andre or Venomhatch). We ate at Ohana, Boma, Chef Mickeys, the Hoop Dee Doo, Hollywood and Vine, and the Yachtsman Steakhouse on this trip and can give pointers on those as well. Have a great day everyone!:)

How long did it take for you to get to the Hoop Dee Doo, and what route did you take? We are doing Chef Mickey's Breakfast on day 1, and we are also doing HDDR and Spirit of Aloha. We plan on splitting our park days (am park, back to resort, dinner, and another park) and I was wondering how much time to allow to get to the other resorts. I don't want to take a taxi, as that's just one more thing to spend money on when I don't have to!

I've read a lot of mixed opinions on this!

How long did it take for you to get to the Hoop Dee Doo, and what route did you take? We are doing Chef Mickey's Breakfast on day 1, and we are also doing HDDR and Spirit of Aloha. We plan on splitting our park days (am park, back to resort, dinner, and another park) and I was wondering how much time to allow to get to the other resorts. I don't want to take a taxi, as that's just one more thing to spend money on when I don't have to!

I've read a lot of mixed opinions on this!

Because we were at Epcot that day, we took a bus to the Campsites and then took an internal bus to Pioneer Hall. Plan for an hour, because the internal buses stop at every bus stop before reaching Pioneer Hall, which is the last stop. The best way to the Hoop Dee Doo is by boat from Magic Kingdom or the Contemporary, because it's just a short walk from the boat docks to Pioneer Hall. Good Luck and have fun!

Question, can you take a boat from Riverside to Saratoga Springs, switching at DTD? Was thinking of eating at the Artist's Pallete and was trying to think of the best way back to the resort.

In Nov. DS and I ate at Olivia's. It's at OKW not SSR but the process is the same if you're taking the boat. From the time we got to the POFQ dock until we arrived at OKW it took 2 hours! Leaving POFQ there was no room til the third boat. Then at DTD we had to get from the Marketplace dock to the Westside dock. The line to go by boat was very long so we walked. I think we got there just as a boat to OKW was leaving. It was at least 45 minutes before the next boat arrived. By the time we got to Olivia's it was 15 minutes past our ADR time. Luckily, after a short wait, they were able to seat us. Oddly, on the way back it took us just one hour. We were able to immediately board at each of the 3 docks.

I love taking the boat from POR and POFQ. Just be forewarned that they are not the fastest mode of transportation. (That would be a cab.)

We just got back yesterday from our trip. I sent a fax Monday before our Sunday check in. Got all my requests... bottom floor, connecting rooms with one party, also wanted next to the other party. Was amazing. LOVED the AB rooms. The maid decorated my daughter's bed every day with her Disney plushes. Was great. Cannot wait to go again! Will definitely be staying at POR again!!

In Nov. DS and I ate at Olivia's. It's at OKW not SSR but the process is the same if you're taking the boat. From the time we got to the POFQ dock until we arrived at OKW it took 2 hours!

The irony is that if they put in a guest footpath, the actual distance between the two resorts would be about 250 yards, you could walk it in a few minutes.

Andre

We are looking at trying Boma for dinner our next trip. Wondering how much you liked it?

We are looking at trying Boma for dinner our next trip. Wondering how much you liked it?

We actually ate at Boma for breakfast. This was our 2nd Boma breakfast and it was just as great this time as last. I think their breakfast buffet is the best on Disney property. Gotta get the French toast bread pudding with the caramel praline sauce on it! OMG it is soooo addicting, and I hate bread pudding!

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to get to.other resorts to dine, check out grounds, or maybe do campfire: )

Also, do I take the boat to the parks? Or bus only?
Can I boat to dtd then on to parks?

On our last trip to WDW we stayed at AKL and one night we ate at Boma and it was fantastic. My favorite meal during the whole vacation. I tried 16 or 17 different menu items:rolleyes1.
We have another trip for this August, staying at POR but I have already made an ADR for Boma. The entire family loves that restaurant!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to get to.other resorts to dine, check out grounds, or maybe do campfire: )

Also, do I take the boat to the parks? Or bus only?
Can I boat to dtd then on to parks?

I've recently updated www.portorleans.org/buses.php which should help answer your transportation questions. There are no boats to the parks, just buses - there is no navigable waterway linking the Sassagoula River and Downtown Disney to any of the theme parks.

Andre

Got my Mickey Mail today. So excited!!:cheer2:

Oh that is such a great moment! I have to wait 10 months for that moment, but it is well worth the wait :thumbsup2 enjoy! We just spent 10 days at POR! Hope you have a safe and wonderful Disney vacation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter