Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the preferred rooms ever booked solid? We are checking in on 09/01 and could not get a preferred room with our free dining PIN. Would it be possible to request one at check in and pay the difference? Is this something i should fax in about? We don't mind waiting for the room if its not available when we check in. Just wondering if its worth it to try to get one.

They sometimes can be. I would send the fax in about that, but also state that you don't mind paying and waiting on one if it is available. Its definitely worth it as in location if your traveling with 5 guests. If your only 4 or less it isn't too far to be in the other mansion buildings also. I can be anywhere on the property in 5 minutes from any one spot.

It's actually very close. I picked it as there is a bridge to the pool that is quick and a path to the lobby. It's about 3 min either way, depending on speed. I asked for it as my son loves the pools, bridges, fishing creatures of any kind and thought a Slight longer walk would give him. More of that. It does but is still really quick. I love it.

Thank you!!

Are the preferred rooms ever booked solid? We are checking in on 09/01 and could not get a preferred room with our free dining PIN. .

We couldn't get preferred rooms with free dining when we booked the BB last September. We arrive 9/15. But we will make it work. Hopefully we won't be in the furthest possible building, as my DS5 (he has autism) can't stand the food court, so I always get my food to take back to the room with him.
I'll just be excited to be there though! It's almost here! :goodvibes Good luck with your requests!

This is a random question the bridge between Oak Manor and Parterre Place does it have a name. We would like to request a room closest to that bridge and we are booked in a princess room garden view. Any information/tips are greatly appreciated!

This is a random question the bridge between Oak Manor and Parterre Place does it have a name. We would like to request a room closest to that bridge and we are booked in a princess room garden view. Any information/tips are greatly appreciated!

I don't think it has a name, but you could request to be "close to bridge to Food Court".

I don't think it has a name, but you could request to be "close to bridge to Food Court".

We once requested "close to bridge to Food Court" and they put us closer to the bridge to Ol’ Man Island. We found it was quicker to use the other bridge. That’s the only reason I was wondering if the bridges have specific names. Thank you for the info/suggestion!

We once requested "close to bridge to Food Court" and they put us closer to the bridge to Ol’ Man Island. We found it was quicker to use the other bridge. That’s the only reason I was wondering if the bridges have specific names. Thank you for the info/suggestion!

Since you have a royal room booked, if you put bridge closest to food court, the bridge will be the one by Oak Manor or Parterre and not the one by 'Ol Man Island. Or better yet, you can say, bridge closest to the lobby.

I wonder if you could put "near Oak Manor/Parterre bridge" and have them know what you mean?

This is a random question the bridge between Oak Manor and Parterre Place does it have a name.

Well back in the good old days, the resort backstory (see www.portorleans.org/sassagoulatimes-bridge.php) referred to the four bridges as the Dixie Landings Bridge (built 1883), the Alligator Bayou Bridge (1885), the Acadian Bridge (also 1885) and finally the Oak Manor Bridge (1889).

I rather doubt anyone uses those terms nowadays though, so I'd just call it "the footbridge near to Oak Manor".

Incidentally, did you know that those backstory dates are still featured on metal plaques on the side of each of the bridges? Well the 1889 and 1885 bridges are correct anyway, although the bridge between Ol Man Island and the Marina features an "Est 1885" plaque, whereas it should really should say 1883 (and it's no longer Dixie Landings of course - maybe it should be called the Riverside Bridge now?).

Andre

Hello Everyone!

I apologize if these questions have been answered. I tried to look far back but couldn't find anything. Our trip is booked for Oct 13 - Oct 19th at POR. We are surprising my daughter for her 7th Birthday AND first time at Disney!

1. I was only able to book Fastpass+ for one day. We are military so we cannot purchase our tickets ahead of time. When we do buy our tickets we can then make fastpass+ purchases. I am hoping it is not hard to do since we will be doing it for the next 5 days we are down there. What is the BOG reservation for lunch I keep hearing about? I am hoping to get it for the Thursday we are there but not sure how/when it will be available.

2. I was able to customize my bands and then it says I have 17 days left to customize. Once the 17 days is up, does that mean it will get shipped to my address? Or does that mean I have to pick them up at the hotel? I did do on-line check in.

3. I keep hearing about things to mention for a birthday....tell me all great ideas...I know I will be getting a birthday pin, birthday mickey ears, and get a phone call from a character saying happy birthday. When making reservations for dining I didn't see anywhere to put birthday. We have character meals planned every day! Plus she is going to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and getting the castle package.

4. Is the Disney florist really worth it? I want to get her the birthday Mickey ears...would that be something I could get in Downtown Disney when we arrive?

5. I have tickets to MNSSHP, will that be able to be linked to my MB or will I have to hold on to those tickets?

6. How much do you usually spend on souvenirs? I know this can range from 100-1000000 LOL...but generally, what limit do you give yourself?

7. I pre-ordered photopass + with my travel agent...will that be in my welcome booklet I should get 2 weeks before we leave?

8. What do you do with your backpacks/purses when you go on rides? Do you keep them in your stroller? or do you ride the rides with them? Do you suggest a backpack for items like snacks/drinks, random items and a small bag for credit cards, reservations, personal info? This is one question I really can't find an answer to.

I am sorry this post is so long...just VERY excited about my upcoming trip...I was 5 and 12 the last time I went and really don't remember much...plus the planning was done for me.

Last week I called Disney to switch hotels from CBR to POR I just kept thinking about the beds. No way would my husband, my 3 yrs old son and myself be comfortable in a full size bed... Come to think of it even a queen size bed is pushing it. I had to be honest with myself that my son would end up in bed with me. He doesn't like being away from his mother especially in a new environment. When I called Disney to switch they didn't have any sept 8 - 13 standard rooms available. So I upgraded to garden view for $70 more. Well when the CM was making all the final adjustments she asked who was my sons favorite characters. I said buzz and Cinderella and she responded that Disney wanted to make this trip truly special and what could they do to help make it an extra magical trip. Honestly I had no idea what to say. I just responded that going to Disney and seeing how overly excited my son will be is the most magical thing. When I got off of the phone I thought this was the strangest thing because I was never asked that before. Maybe it was a extra cheerful CM I spoke to? I have no idea.

Are the preferred rooms ever booked solid? We are checking in on 09/01 and could not get a preferred room with our free dining PIN. Would it be possible to request one at check in and pay the difference? Is this something i should fax in about? We don't mind waiting for the room if its not available when we check in. Just wondering if its worth it to try to get one.

I would say anything is "possible"... especially since we are in the OPPOSITE position of you! LOL! We have a Preferred/Royal room booked with FD checking in on 9/2.. and we would really prefer a KING at that price, but would be quite happy with a Standard room... we are not "room" people.. and it's just hubby and I... so the whole "princess" theme doesn't matter a bit to us. But that was all that was available when I booked.

I'm not sure if I can/should try to ask for a King or "downgrade" to a Standard (if available) ahead of time? I thought I'd just ask when we checked in maybe?

So... my point is.. it never hurts to ask... everything may be "booked'... but things change daily!

I would just request to be close to the bridge between Oak and Parterre Mansions. Can not go wrong with that.

Hello Everyone!

I apologize if these questions have been answered. I tried to look far back but couldn't find anything. Our trip is booked for Oct 13 - Oct 19th at POR. We are surprising my daughter for her 7th Birthday AND first time at Disney!

1. I was only able to book Fastpass+ for one day. We are military so we cannot purchase our tickets ahead of time. When we do buy our tickets we can then make fastpass+ purchases. I am hoping it is not hard to do since we will be doing it for the next 5 days we are down there. What is the BOG reservation for lunch I keep hearing about? I am hoping to get it for the Thursday we are there but not sure how/when it will be available.

2. I was able to customize my bands and then it says I have 17 days left to customize. Once the 17 days is up, does that mean it will get shipped to my address? Or does that mean I have to pick them up at the hotel? I did do on-line check in.

3. I keep hearing about things to mention for a birthday....tell me all great ideas...I know I will be getting a birthday pin, birthday mickey ears, and get a phone call from a character saying happy birthday. When making reservations for dining I didn't see anywhere to put birthday. We have character meals planned every day! Plus she is going to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and getting the castle package.

4. Is the Disney florist really worth it? I want to get her the birthday Mickey ears...would that be something I could get in Downtown Disney when we arrive?

5. I have tickets to MNSSHP, will that be able to be linked to my MB or will I have to hold on to those tickets?

6. How much do you usually spend on souvenirs? I know this can range from 100-1000000 LOL...but generally, what limit do you give yourself?

7. I pre-ordered photopass + with my travel agent...will that be in my welcome booklet I should get 2 weeks before we leave?

8. What do you do with your backpacks/purses when you go on rides? Do you keep them in your stroller? or do you ride the rides with them? Do you suggest a backpack for items like snacks/drinks, random items and a small bag for credit cards, reservations, personal info? This is one question I really can't find an answer to.

I am sorry this post is so long...just VERY excited about my upcoming trip...I was 5 and 12 the last time I went and really don't remember much...plus the planning was done for me.

I can only give my thoughts on a couple things.

4. Florist for me is very expensive. IDK what you are looking for. but I saw a post with pics of the double balloons(mickey balloon inside a clear balloon) It was picked up from a vender on main street MK for about $14. I plan on getting one-only prob is that it can't be sent to room-you would have to take it with you.--but just a thought.

8. Definately take it with you on the rides!!! Personally I hate people with big back packs. They tend to hit people around them. I opt for a cross the body bag or a small back pack--but what ever is comfortable to you

Hello Everyone!

I don't have answers for all of these but maybe I can help a little!

3. Call Disney or get your travel agent to call Disney and make sure that her Birthday is listed on your dining reservations. :)

4. Personally I would say no.

6. When we went we let our daughter get a toy everyday which was about $15-20 a day and then the last day me and my husband picked out something I don't remember the exact amount it just depends on how much you want to splurge I want to say we spent around $500.

7. I would ask your travel agent when I ordered ours it usually comes in a few days after I order it.

8. When we went we had a back we kept in the stroller with drinks and ponchos nothing that REALLY mattered if it did get stolen. And I carried a lanyard around my neck with a wallet that I had our KTW cards some money that sort of thing. I think this is what most people do because strollers were full of backpacks when we were there! :) I hope that helps you some.
I can't wait to go back!

Well back in the good old days, the resort backstory (see www.portorleans.org/sassagoulatimes-bridge.php) referred to the four bridges as the Dixie Landings Bridge (built 1883), the Alligator Bayou Bridge (1885), the Acadian Bridge (also 1885) and finally the Oak Manor Bridge (1889).

I rather doubt anyone uses those terms nowadays though, so I'd just call it "the footbridge near to Oak Manor".

Incidentally, did you know that those backstory dates are still featured on metal plaques on the side of each of the bridges? Well the 1889 and 1885 bridges are correct anyway, although the bridge between Ol Man Island and the Marina features an "Est 1885" plaque, whereas it should really should say 1883 (and it's no longer Dixie Landings of course - maybe it should be called the Riverside Bridge now?).

Andre

Pretty cool, thanks for the "history lesson"!!

Andre

It's too bad nobody uses the names anymore. I like that! Thanks for sharing the info.

Hello Everyone!

3. As others have said, just call Disney Dining and have them add the birthday to the reservation. Have her wear the pin and you'll be shocked at how many 'happy birthday' greetings she gets, and how many cupcakes from restaurants. Call the BBB and have them note the birthday on that reservation as well. She'll get a "birthday princess" sash as well as the standard BBB one.

4. I would buy the ears on property. You may find that you'd rather have classic ones than the birthday ones for the first trip. It's just as magical to pick them out together and have her name embroidered on them as it would be to have them pre ordered.

6. No one can know how much for souvenirs is in your budget. We like to pick a 'per day' amount that we're comfortable with and use that as a guideline. That keeps us from overindulging DD, and we have NEVER actually spent the whole amount budgeted. It's a nice bonus to have extra money left over when you get home! If your kids are into stuffed animals or pins or whatever, maybe agree to buy them one per day. It's also nice to get them some Disney gift cards with a small amount on them and let them have some of their own money to spend. DD6 always saves up in advance of the trip to have spending money, but since your trip is a surprise, maybe ask the grandparents to give you some gift cards to surprise them with on the trip?

7. If your TA booked PP+ through Disney rather than the Photopass website (and I'm assuming she did) then the PP+ voucher will be in the Magical Extras booklet-commonly called Mickey Mail on the DIS-along with the coupons for the arcade, Planet Hollywood, mini golf, etc. DO NOT FORGET THAT VOUCHER! Take that voucher to any PP location (there's one at some of the deluxe resorts-we used the one at the GF since we had a breakfast ADR there on our first day-and one at every park). At the PP location they will give you a CD case and the red PP+ card on lanyard. The CD is very important as the code you'll need to order the photo CD once you've edited your vacation pics is on the inside cover. When using the PP+ card for ride photos, note the pic # and then go to the desk where you purchase them, tell them the photo # and have them swipe your card. The ride photo will be added to your PP card (no hard copies). For restaurant photos (and BBB) you'll get both hard and digital copies of the pictures.

8. My husband carries the backpack full of ponchos/extra clothes/camera gear and I carry a really small cross body purse holding the cards, wallet, etc. We take both on rides with us. My DH is a big guy (6'2" 250 lbs) and he's never had a problem getting himself and the bag into the seats comfortably.

Have a great time, and thanks to your family for your service.:thumbsup2

Sorta OT:

For those that have done fastpass plus. Does anyone have a complete list (or know of where to get one) of all the rides/shows/character meets that are available to choose from for each of the parks. I have a year to plan but would like an idea of what we need to choose from.

Also the BOG fast pass how exactly does it work, as I am a bit confused. You either choose a return time or a return time plus ore choose your meal? The return time what type of time frame do you get to pick from?

Thanks for the help. I can't wait until we are at POR celebrating my daughters birthday next year. Already I keep putting 2014 when I date things. Wishful thinking!!!

Sooo….. We received our “official” notice by mail about the refrigerator situation. :crazy2::scared:

I called the guest service number and requested a fridge, but there are no guarantees. We have two Alligator Bayou rooms (connecting) at POR and probably only NEED one fridge. However I’m sure if we had two fridges, we would make use of both. We order items (dairy and other) from Garden Grocer each year, and need it to stay cold.

1) Are the odds pretty good that we’ll get a fridge in at least one room?

2) If we do not get a fridge in one of the rooms, what the process for receiving a credit? (I do feel that compensation is in order, since part of the reason we booked at moderate was for the bigger fridge that we make use of). Do I just go to the lobby and ask? Is the going rate about $15/night refund?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter