Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally specific question, but does anyone know if they sell bottles of cold coffee creamer (Coffeemate, International Delight, etc...) in the store at POR? I know I've seen pictures of the food section, but I can't recall what I saw in the refrigerated cases. I think I'm going to buy some of the coffee pods suggested earlier, but I want to have cold/liquid creamer. That powder stuff they give you makes me :scared: Ha! It would be nice not to have to stop somewhere else to get it if I can get it at POR. Thanks!! :flower3:

DanInMN said:
I strongly agree with this portion of your review. The "Down by the Riverside" thing has got to go! It is most annoying, and was the only thing we really disliked about our POR stay.

See maybe it depends on the age of your kids. We always sat in the back by the waterwheel. It wasn't as loud back there. My girls enjoyed it and they gave them mickey straws afterwards. Friends who havr stayed there with kids under 10 have enjoyed it to. Maybe they could just parade the kids minus the tamborine.

The thing we could have done without was the DJ and games. That was loud and annoying. We could hear it from oak manor (outside not in the room). My older DD doesn't like loud noises and while she loved the main pool and as slide said the noise was too loud. Would be nice to have either some fun park music or themed to POR. Also wenever saw more than 3-5 people if any participating.

Totally specific question, but does anyone know if they sell bottles of cold coffee creamer (Coffeemate, International Delight, etc...) in the store at POR? I know I've seen pictures of the food section, but I can't recall what I saw in the refrigerated cases. I think I'm going to buy some of the coffee pods suggested earlier, but I want to have cold/liquid creamer. That powder stuff they give you makes me :scared: Ha! It would be nice not to have to stop somewhere else to get it if I can get it at POR. Thanks!! :flower3:

I don't remember seeing either one sold anywhere on property--I absolutely HAVE to have my International Delight French Vanilla. If I don't have a rental car I get it delivered to the resort with my Garden Grocer order.

See maybe it depends on the age of your kids. We always sat in the back by the waterwheel. It wasn't as loud back there. My girls enjoyed it and they gave them mickey straws afterwards. Friends who havr stayed there with kids under 10 have enjoyed it to. Maybe they could just parade the kids minus the tamborine.

The thing we could have done without was the DJ and games. That was loud and annoying. We could hear it from oak manor (outside not in the room). My older DD doesn't like loud noises and while she loved the main pool and as slide said the noise was too loud. Would be nice to have either some fun park music or themed to POR. Also wenever saw more than 3-5 people if any participating.

We also sat by the water wheel and it wasn't loud at all. MY DS (age 7) also really enjoyed the Down by the Riverside song as did Mom and Dad. It added to the festive atmosphere of being in Disney! We ate in the food court A LOT and only heard the song maybe 2 or 3 times and only once did they parade.

Must depend on time of day and year because when we were at the pool there were a good 20 kids participating in games and activities. We were always on the slide or by the dumping water which drowned out some of the noise.

I guess it is all about timing. We were at POR 2 weeks ago and only heard the Riverside song once. About the pool, we always sat on the outer edge, along the bushes, in the shade as much as possible, and thought the music and games were fine. In fact our kids, ages 18 and 20, would play along from there! ::yes::

I don't remember seeing either one sold anywhere on property--I absolutely HAVE to have my International Delight French Vanilla. If I don't have a rental car I get it delivered to the resort with my Garden Grocer order.

Thanks so much for the response. We'll have a car, so I guess I better stop and get some. I have my favorite creamer too, but I will be happy with anything that's not powder! Haha!

Regarding Pool and Food Court Noise:

We are very quiet people, so obviously, your mileage may vary. With the Food Court announcement, you really couldn't get away from it even in the corners (we quiet people, always sit in corners and away from the bustle ;) ). But as an old Disney buff and former cast-member, I think the Down By the Riverside bit was poorly executed. It was obviously a recording, but they played it like it was live, including a "Are you having fun - Oh you can do better than that" bit. Please. I'm sure 7 to 10 year-olds enjoy it; at least some of them. I'm a psychologist, love kids, and love watching them. But honestly, I don't think this much stimulation is desirable or wise. Believe me, they're excited enough already to be going to a theme park. Predictably, every day at the parks I saw children melting down, always about 3:00, from the stimulation and low blood sugar, and usually their parents were melting down along with them. Not Good. At Lunch there were not enough people to make the Riverside thing work, and at Breakfast, it was already too chaotic. As a cast member back in the day, I used to see the same thing with adults around 4 or 5 PM. They'd get surly and mean in the heat of the day, then bounce back after a meal and improved blood sugar levels around 6. You could set your watch by it.

As for pool noise, well I think it kind of defeats the purpose of many parents to have some down-time in the middle of the day. Kids love pools and don't need a cruise director to help them enjoy it. The extroverted kids will certainly enjoy the organized games, but really they could do this without the PA system or the un-themed music. If you haven't noticed, and at the risk of coming off too cynical, Disney designs things to keep you moving, to increase the likelihood of you spending money. For example, the rooms are nice and comfortable but not designed for hanging out in, because you can't spend more money while in a room. I suspect that some of the organized Resort activities are to get parents closer to places where you spend money. If the noise drives you away, you're more likely to ping-pong into a shop, bar or to a restaurant and tap your room key for a purchase. I know for a fact, that the seats in the cafe I used to work in at Disneyland were intentionally hard, to encourage tables to turn over faster. And of course every major attraction exit dumps into a themed shop. (I was appalled at the Norway Pavilion where they actually closed off a double exit door with an emergency only sign on it, forcing you to walk the length of the retail space. What's the emergency? No one is buying their expensive stuff. Ski sweaters in Florida? really?).

Coffee Pods:

The are indeed the Senseo type pods. Little round pucks of coffee in a filter. I had one of these coffee makers in my office a few years back but it broke. Still had the pods so I brought some along. They are much cheaper than the K-cup type. The coffee from them is only slightly better than the Nescafe in the food court. Oddly, the Nescafe didn't bother me as much this time as it has in the past. But the in-room maker was simply more convenient than walking to the dining room. One cup won't do it though, they're small, and they only leave enough for two small cups of coffee.

Two more observations I left out:

Gift Shop: I think POR has perhaps the best gift shop of any of the resorts I've either visited or stayed at. Really. It was very pleasant to poke around in there, and more convenient for gifts than DTD or even park shops. The aisles were roomy and the merchandise varied enough to make it interesting for every body. Much of the merchandise here is the same as in the parks but because it's at your resort, you can think about your purchases before you actually buy. I DO wish they had more resort specific merchandise. I would've like a POR mug for example. It's all still over-priced of course, but we've all reconciled ourselves to that at Disney already. We've stayed at WL, and AKL, and while AKL has some very unique items, I think the POR shop has the slight edge! It's definitely better than the WL shop. (BTW, they do indeed sell a flat of bottled water, but it is outrageously over-priced at 24 bottles for $16.00. Compare to 40 bottles at Sam's club for 4.00).

Video Game Room:

I got my coupon with my Micky Mail and wanted to try the video games out. I know they are archaic and sooo 20th century. But I wanted to anyway darn it. But alas, it was a waste of time. The games did not work well, they were too expensive, and you couldn't really tell how much you were spending on them because they use a point system. It was a disappointment and I can't help but think the Imagineers could come up with a better use for the space. How about a book store and reading room for us introverts :goodvibes

- The Skyway Guy

No, so glad to hear you had a great time! We booked a river ire for our trip, and I was wondering how noisy building 14 is? Is there a lot of foot traffic? Since riverview books as a separate category we might request 14, but I heard the busy area can be a downside? Thanks!

we never heard any noise at all during my stay.i know we had neighbors saw the lights on but never heard them.

Regarding Pool and Food Court Noise:

Two more observations I left out:

Gift Shop: I think POR has perhaps the best gift shop of any of the resorts I've either visited or stayed at. Really. It was very pleasant to poke around in there, and more convenient for gifts than DTD or even park shops. The aisles were roomy and the merchandise varied enough to make it interesting for every body. Much of the merchandise here is the same as in the parks but because it's at your resort, you can think about your purchases before you actually buy. I DO wish they had more resort specific merchandise. I would've like a POR mug for example. It's all still over-priced of course, but we've all reconciled ourselves to that at Disney already. We've stayed at WL, and AKL, and while AKL has some very unique items, I think the POR shop has the slight edge! It's definitely better than the WL shop.

We agree Fulton is a very good gift shop but they NEED more POR specific items. AMEN. Back in the day they had shirts, hats, mugs..., with Dixie Landings and then Riverside on it. Now it seems only the DVC have specific items.

And what is with the lame generic refillable mugs? Bringing back something that showed and reminded you of where you stayed was nice. How huge of a bulk order does Disney need to save another penny or two? The POR has to go through thousands a week/month of those. I want the Riverside mugs back.

Sorry to opine.

Bicfam said:
We agree Fulton is a very good gift shop but they NEED more POR specific items. AMEN. Back in the day they had shirts, hats, mugs..., with Dixie Landings and then Riverside on it. Now it seems only the DVC have specific items.

And what is with the lame generic refillable mugs? Bringing back something that showed and reminded you of where you stayed was nice. How huge of a bulk order does Disney need to save another penny or two? The POR has to go through thousands a week/month of those. I want the Riverside mugs back.

Sorry to opine.

You have to think outside the box. The cost of gas and energy costs have tripled.

Think about the cost of trucking thousands of different resort specific items, the energy cost to house them, the staff to keep inventory and figure out what needs to be refilled,etc. Sooner or later, they have to pass it along to the consumer.

I am in construction management and we pay double what we paid for the same steel beam we bought five years ago because of increased fuel costs for both production and delivery.

If you want to complain to someone, complain to OPEC or the government regarding the cost, not Disney.

I still have my Dixie Landings Mug! It's faded but its a really nice big thermal mug, and I still love using it! I'm not a DVC guy, so take that into consideration, but some of their merchandising seems a bit, well, privileged - probably just me. We did a bit of resort hopping and noticed unique items at AKL and WL.

No, so glad to hear you had a great time! We booked a river ire for our trip, and I was wondering how noisy building 14 is? Is there a lot of foot traffic? Since riverview books as a separate category we might request 14, but I heard the busy area can be a downside? Thanks!

We were in building 14 for a few days in April & it was quiet & nice being close to everything including one if the quiet pools. We had a room on the 2nd floor facing the parking lot which was nice too.

We just stayed in a river view room in building 14 at AB. It was perfect. Very short walk to the food court. There is some foot traffic because we were on the path to the south bus stop, but I never really minded it much and it didn't bother us - wake us up or anything. In fact, only heard noise in our room once the entire week and it was light footsteps above us. Rarely saw anyone walk immediately past our window - on the porch around our building. In fact, I'm not sure if I ever did. We would very readily stay in building 14 again!!

I'm booked preferred for Oct and had planned on faxing a request. Mainly for a non-parking lot view. But the more I think about it, who cares! Ill be in Disney at POR, can't get any better!!! Besides we will get to the resort before noon and I want my best chances at getting a room when we get there! (Yes,I know it's not a guarantee.) I'm suddenly sooooo pumped, like I was when I first booked! Way too many days to go! :thumbsup2

OOOOOOH I was so excited when a woman I worked with had a big Port Orleans mug. When I asked about it and told her we would be staying there soon she offered it to me. I love it! I browsed ebay one night and found the same big one as well as smaller versions. I really like the looks of them and wish they were still available at the resort. I'll be taking mine (we won't be getting the refillable ones this year. Just wanted to pass the info along about the ones on ebay if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know which POR Alligator Bayou buildings do not have brick on them? I think all the preferred buildings do not, but any others?

lmhall2000 said:
Does anyone know which POR Alligator Bayou buildings do not have brick on them? I think all the preferred buildings do not, but any others?

From Andre's website:
"Thats why the closest group of buildings to the mansions (Lodges 34-39) have brick-built columns and neatly tiled roofs, while another group (Lodges 14-18) have much plainer wooden columns, and the final section (Lodges 24-28) features plain wood columns and simple sheet-metal roofing."

Anyone have a small child who used this? Would love a review of this since DD 6 will use it. We are excited for our first stay in POR in a month! :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter