• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the Mill food court area - do they have much you could buy the night before and put in your fridge for breakfast? Trying to figure out if I should do a grocery order or not. I'm kind of worried about doing that since we may have to switch rooms. Dh and I both need protein with breakfast and I'm gluten intolerant. Looking for hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Unfortunately 7am may be too late for us to go get a hot breakfast there some mornings if we want to get to the parks by rope drop, and we hate to spend time eating breakfast at the parks!

I would do a grocery order or plan on a grocery stop if possible. We just got back, and I also need a protein heavy breakfast, and I didn't find much available in the food court (or gift shop) in the evenings that would fit the bill. No hard boiled eggs or cottage cheese, and the only yogurt was the heavily flavored varieties (I'm a plain, nonfat Greek yogurt eater).

I stopped off at Whole Foods on my way (I also have food intolerances) and was able to pick up HB eggs, yogurt, cheese, deli meat, salads, etc. I ate that for breakfast most days so we could make rope drop! I hit an issue with my fridge though, and in the future I would bring a collapsible cooler (LL Bean has a nice one) to store my food, and only rely on the room fridge for beverages. It's extra work, but totally worth it to know I'd have the foods I need, when I need them, and no worries about cross contamination or hidden ingredients.

We did eat breakfast at the Mill one morning - DD9 wanted a Mickey waffle - and I was not a fan of their protein heavy breakfast. I would definitely plan for breakfast in my room on future trips.

We're back from our first stay at POR and we loved it!!! We had booked a Royal Room riverview, and had asked for a corner room, second floor. Pixie dust was sprinkled on us as we received both those requests. I had originally wanted Oak Manor, but we ended up in Parterre Place with a river view that was outstanding.

The best waterview we've ever had (and we've done waterview at all our BC and CBR stays). We were very close to the bridge (100 steps....I counted!). It was great looking out our window and seeing the river, the boat to DTD or the horse and carriage ride by.

The room was lovely, clean, had a fridge (although it was next to the cabinet it belonged in) and housekeeping was fantastic. We received at least four towel animals, the cutest being a mouse.:rotfl: Room was always made up when we came back from the parks.

The main building is gorgeous, as are the mansions. Didn't get to see the AB section. Main pool area is nice although I wish there were more lounge chairs in the sunny areas. Had a few meals in the food court, and they were all good.

Saw YeeHa Bob.....wow, what a big crowd he attracts! It was a fun few hours watching his show.

Took a horse and carriage ride down to POFQ and that was really fun. We also took the boat to DTD and over to POFQ for beignets.

I think this resort is a step above a mod.....more like a deluxe mod, lol. All the Cm's were wonderful. We would stay here again without a doubt.

My only complaint would be the buses. Ugh! Had to stand a number of times on the way to and from the parks. Sometimes we had to wait for a second or third bus to come to head back to the resort in the late afternoon. But,the parks seemed to be way busier this past week than our other stays at this time of year, so it was to be expected I guess.

All in all, we had an amazing time and we'll be back! Thank you Venom and Andre for all your help!:goodvibes

Our view: (actually the columns were not in our view out the window,this is looking a bit to the left

This is going to sound a bit odd... But if anyone going in the near future could ask POR for their tuna salad recipe I will pay you with my next born child.

My only complaint would be the buses. Ugh! Had to stand a number of times on the way to and from the parks. Sometimes we had to wait for a second or third bus to come to head back to the resort in the late afternoon. But,the parks seemed to be way busier this past week than our other stays at this time of year, so it was to be expected I guess.

We just got back yesterday, and I'd have to say this was our biggest complaint as well. The wait for the buses was insane! We chose the week after Thanksgiving specifically because we understood it to be a less crowded. We spoke to several CM's and other guests who also noted that last week unusually busy. We came to the conclusion - after seeing several groups of dance troupes at POR - that the Christmas parade taping brought in tons more people. So while we loved the resort, we'll stick with going in February like we have in the past.

This is going to sound a bit odd... But if anyone going in the near future could ask POR for their tuna salad recipe I will pay you with my next born child.

The last thing I want is another kid, ha ha, but I will be there in two weeks and can ask for the recipe if you don't have it by then. Maybe check out the Disney Food Blog too, as there are some recipes there.

We were there in Sept. Stayed in a Royal Garden view. Requested a top floor corner room in a quiet part of the hotel and got it. We enjoyed the hotel. It was our first time staying on property and we had no complaints. We drove mostly, only took the bus one because the boats weren't running due to lightning. Only waited 5-10 minutes and took the boat back from DTD. Staying at WL in Jan, I'll let you now how the "mod-deluxe" compares to the "deluxe-mod".

The last thing I want is another kid, ha ha, but I will be there in two weeks and can ask for the recipe if you don't have it by then. Maybe check out the Disney Food Blog too, as there are some recipes there.

That would be amazing. I've looked everywhere and sadly can't find it. Thank you so much!

We just got back yesterday, and I'd have to say this was our biggest complaint as well. The wait for the buses was insane! We chose the week after Thanksgiving specifically because we understood it to be a less crowded. We spoke to several CM's and other guests who also noted that last week unusually busy. We came to the conclusion - after seeing several groups of dance troupes at POR - that the Christmas parade taping brought in tons more people. So while we loved the resort, we'll stick with going in February like we have in the past.

I bet it was in part because Thanksgiving was so darned late this year. Thanksgiving was the 22nd last year compared to the 28th this year. With that week less time people have dove right into Holiday Panic Mode.

What is your favorite room category at this resort? I love the look and feel of the grounds, having grown up in FL. We're looking at traveling in the summer with DH and myself, in our 40s, and DD11 and DS8. The pool and boat to downtown Disney are both a big deal. DD likes Alligator Bayou rooms, DS likes the Royal rooms, and I think I like convenience! ;)

Is there a good location for Ole Man Island, the DTD boat, and dining?

Edited to add: What does River view entail? Is it possible to get River View and make a request to end up somewhere convenient to the pool as well?

Thank you to everyone who helped us have a wonderful week at POR! We will be back for another stay in two years....

What is your favorite room category at this resort? I love the look and feel of the grounds, having grown up in FL. We're looking at traveling in the summer with DH and myself, in our 40s, and DD11 and DS8. The pool and boat to downtown Disney are both a big deal. DD likes Alligator Bayou rooms, DS likes the Royal rooms, and I think I like convenience! ;) Is there a good location for Ole Man Island, the DTD boat, and dining? Edited to add: What does River view entail? Is it possible to get River View and make a request to end up somewhere convenient to the pool as well?

When we were there in October we booked a Preferred (which is always AB). Wound up in Building 27 which at first I wasn't thrilled about as it seemed to be the furthest out of the Preferred, but wound up loving it. Short walk to pools, laundry, main buildings, busses, etc. Plus, it was really quiet where we were (corner room) without a ton of foot traffic. We really enjoyed that area. We have 2 and 5 year old and even with them walking we were no more than 3-5 minute walk from everything we needed.

I would do a grocery order or plan on a grocery stop if possible. We just got back, and I also need a protein heavy breakfast, and I didn't find much available in the food court (or gift shop) in the evenings that would fit the bill. No hard boiled eggs or cottage cheese, and the only yogurt was the heavily flavored varieties (I'm a plain, nonfat Greek yogurt eater).

I stopped off at Whole Foods on my way (I also have food intolerances) and was able to pick up HB eggs, yogurt, cheese, deli meat, salads, etc. I ate that for breakfast most days so we could make rope drop! I hit an issue with my fridge though, and in the future I would bring a collapsible cooler (LL Bean has a nice one) to store my food, and only rely on the room fridge for beverages. It's extra work, but totally worth it to know I'd have the foods I need, when I need them, and no worries about cross contamination or hidden ingredients.

We did eat breakfast at the Mill one morning - DD9 wanted a Mickey waffle - and I was not a fan of their protein heavy breakfast. I would definitely plan for breakfast in my room on future trips.

Thank you. I can't stand sugar yogurt either - might as well drink a coke! I'll probably do an order, we are trying to get to WDW ASAP the first day, plus our room (and fridge) will most likely not be ready.

Can I ask what the issue was you had with your fridge? We're cruising the week prior, and am trying to pack light for the whole trip partly for convenience and partly because 5 people in a cabin on the Fantasy plus extra stuff is just going to be a headache. I'll bring a collapsible cooler if necessary, but if I can avoid it I will too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter