• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've stayed at both. While I think POR is prettier, we liked POFQ too. It does have shady walkways, and plenty of benches. And the river path is very pleasant. The walk over to POR isn't shady. But she can take the boat. What about garden view rooms? Would they be on the discount? They are only $10 more a night then standard view room.

Most all room levels are on the military discount but we also had a problem booking for next summer as it seams there are many rooms available. Thank god my best friends and I aren't above sharing a bed because all we could get was a king room.

I'm sorry for the long post but I am looking for some advice in planning my trip.

We are going on a Disney cruise in July 2014. Since they are still offering discounted rooms & tickets to the military we decided to add on a few days at WDW. We stayed at POR on our last tip Thanksgiving 2012 and wanted to stay there again on this trip but they don't have any standard rooms available at the military rate when we will be there. I was able to get 2 standard rooms at POFQ.

We are not morning people and are planning to visit the parks later in the day and stay until closing and let the kids sleep in. I really wanted POR since my mom would enjoy walking around the resort in the mornings while the kids sleep. I know POR is not a far walk from POFQ but due to a previous illness my mom is a slower walker and may not want to walk to POR and back to avoid getting too tired at the parks.

Would walking around POFQ be as enjoyable as POR? Are there shady walkways and places to sit at POFQ? Is the walk to POR shady or will it be in the direct sun? Since POFQ is smaller I didn't expect rooms to be available there as opposed to POR. Should I continue calling and hope that there will be 2 standard rooms available at POR or just hope POFQ will work out? Thanks for the advice and help.

We're looking at possibly taking a Disney cruise (in Europe) for our 20th anniversary in 2015. Have you done one before? If so, I'd love to hear any advice/comments you have. We have never done a cruise of any kind before. We were at POR in October, and I am already having Disney withdrawal! So..it's time to start planning (and saving!) again.

Most all room levels are on the military discount but we also had a problem booking for next summer as it seams there are many rooms available. Thank god my best friends and I aren't above sharing a bed because all we could get was a king room.

This was suppose to say they seems to not be many rooms available... I seriously hate autocorrect! And well there are only 2 of us sharing a bed.... Ha!

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a room that is close to the lobby and transportation?

We booked a Royal Guest room w Garden view.

Very unfortunately, I am dealing with a progressive muscle disease. We are going in January and while I can still walk at this time, I may have issues in 2 months. My 6 year old daughter also has hypotonia (low tone) and can't walk a lot. We don't have wheelchairs, but distance is a big issue.

Thank you :)

A question from one of my kids...I see that Magical Express for my stay at POR stops at Yacht Club, Beach Club, POR, and Boardwalk. Does the bus go to the resorts in this order (assuming there are guests that will need to stop at each of these resorts)?

A question from one of my kids...I see that Magical Express for my stay at POR stops at Yacht Club, Beach Club, POR, and Boardwalk. Does the bus go to the resorts in this order (assuming there are guests that will need to stop at each of these resorts)?

It fluctuates based on amounts of guests to which resorts. I have seen it service Old KeyWest and Saratoga Springs before without the addition of Beach Club and Boardwalk.

Well, POR is a mile or so away and across a highway from BC, YC and BW which are right next to each other so I doubt they'd follow that particular order. If any thing with those 4 I would think that POR would either be first or last. (I've only driven between the four never did ME so I could be totally wrong)

I really don't know if this is the second best week this year or the second worse week this year! I'm so excited to leave but it's almost painful because it's so close...yet so far! Ahhh!!! :hyper:

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a room that is close to the lobby and transportation?

We booked a Royal Guest room w Garden view.

Sorry to hear of your condition, and I hope it keeps at bay so you can at least make the most of your vacation.

I would suggest faxing the resort to explain your situation (see info in FAQ in first post) and ask for a room which is as close as possible to the footbridge which connects over to the main buildings. There are lots of garden view rooms in the northern part of Parterre Place which would work very well for you, and would also give you easy access to the quiet swimming pool too.

It might be worth asking for a ground floor room, as if you find you need an elevator they are located in the central section of the buildings, a bit further away from access to the main buildings.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out well for you.

Andre

Just had to drop in to say - so excited only 3 more sleeps until we are there. I can hardly concentrate at work. I have to work tomorrow but have Thursday off for DD's orthodontist apt. and last minute packing. We leave the house at 6:30am and hope to be at POR after fight and ME around 1:30pm. The excitement is really building now and it is hard to stay focused. I know you all understand.

We are arriving Saturday and I didn't get a chance to send my fax this morning with our requests. There's only 2-we'd prefer to be close to the food court (we booked a pool view and there's 5 of us) and a fridge because my son is taking an antibiotic that needs to be kept cold if possible. Should I send the fax tonight or would it be better to wait and do it in the morning?

Side note-Seriously, strep throat and high fever viruses running through our household a few days before we are supposed to leave? I feel so bad-my 9 year old had to miss 2 days of school already this week and we're pulling them out all next week for our vacation! Luckily, they are very smart kids and I'm a teacher so they won't get behind but still.....

I'm trying to recall. We stayed at YC in August and I believe we were first pick up at YC, then went to BC, BWI, And then CBR. Not POR. I don't know if route changes or what.

Should I send the fax tonight or would it be better to wait and do it in the morning?

If you send it in a morning it will most likely get viewed as a 'fresh' incoming item, whereas at night if there are a few they might sit awaiting someone to look into them all in the morning? Other than that, it probably makes no real difference, they all go to the same place.

Andre

Sorry to hear of your condition, and I hope it keeps at bay so you can at least make the most of your vacation.

I would suggest faxing the resort to explain your situation (see info in FAQ in first post) and ask for a room which is as close as possible to the footbridge which connects over to the main buildings. There are lots of garden view rooms in the northern part of Parterre Place which would work very well for you, and would also give you easy access to the quiet swimming pool too.

Andre

We sent a fax requesting close as possible to footbridge to main buildings (due to my husband's knee surgery) and were given a garden view room in the northern wing of Parterre Place. It was a great location!

Good luck with your request! Our experience was very positive with the POR room assignors and with POR in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter