Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are King Bed rooms within buildings 14, 15, 18 and 27 (which are the buildings where the Preferred Location rooms are situated). They are all still classed as King Bed category though (not 'preferred') so you can definitely request those, and it would not even be considered an upgrade.

Heck, you could even ask for a river view if you want, which would most likely give you an even better location. See my floorplan maps (links in the first post, or via www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php) and any of the purple rooms fall within your booking category.

Andre

Its been a few weeks since your last official Refrigerator update. I was looking to see if you expect to hear anything in the short term. Im coming in on 10/24 and have a sizable Garden Grocer order I usually purchase, so was hoping to get a better feel on where they will be by then. Appreciate it.

We got back this past weekend. POR was nice. We were upgraded to Preferred with was fantastic as well as we had a fridge. This was especially nice as we could keep our water cold and then take it to the parks everyday. We went to Ol Man Island in the beginning of our trip, but after that the kids preferred the quiet pool. The only issue we had was busses. It seemed to take forever sometimes for them to arrive and then they filled up quick!

Ok new to this thread as I just changed our reservations from CBR to POR yesterday. Staying 12-14 to 12-21 with my DH, myself, and DD8 with FD and all I could get at the time I booked was CBR (initially had CSR for FD in Nov but had to reschedule a few weeks back bc of DH's work schedule). Anyway, I had been calling daily to see if we could get into POR (only mod we've not been to) and we got a king bed room with the Murphy bed!! The CM was very surprised to even find POR with FD room for me and to get a king room that would sleep 3 (bc of the Murphy bed).

I am assuming that these are only in AB section? She put in a request for bldg 14 or 15 as she saw our previous requests to be close to transport and main bldg.

I have been researching these type rooms. Do they really have this type? Are they all over AB section? I'm just afraid to get there and they say that the room is only for 2...

Also, for those that have stayed there in 14 how close is it in relation to the bus stop and main building? And since we are paying a little more than the standard view are these considered preferred?

Thanks so much for any help!!

I've stayed in Building 14 and it is at most a 1 minute walk to the Sassagoula Steamboat Company (Main building) assuming that you pause to look at the river on the way. The rooms in AB were just redone about 18 months ago and they were beautiful when we stayed there. Just an FYI, the Murphy bed pulls out of a crate - it isn't quite a fullsize bed, more like 80% the size and it is a little higher off the floor. However, my niece fit it in it just fine at 5' even. She wasn't a big fan of the the Alligator staring at her but she got used to it.

Enjoy the trip, AB is every bit as well appointed and scenic as the Mansions.

Tom

I have never had an issue walking up to any of the TS restaurants at any of the moderates. Now walking up to Kona, 'Ohana, Citricos, etc is not recommended. I have not found many people not staying at POR traveling there to eat at Boatwrights, even though the food is very good. It's just not a destination dining spot.

I don't think you will have a problem getting a table. Don't get me wrong as I like the food at Boatwright's, however, it isn't a high up on the list signature restaurant that people from other resorts come to as well. If you were trying for the California Grill, or Ohana without a reservation you would be disappointed. But, unless you arrive exactly at 6pm and expect to be seated at 6:01, I don't think you will have a problem. I've eaten there several times and I don't think I have ever seen it completely filled -- although we tended to wait until later, say 745 so it would be quieter -- it is right off the main walkway in the Sassagoula Steamboat Building (aka the main building) so there is a lot of ambient noise with people coming and going to Riverside Mill (food court) and Fulton's (gift shop).

Tom

Thank you both, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Its all coming together perfectly. Yesterday our Mickey Mail arrived and I was jumping for joy. Today our Magicbands are awaiting us when we get home and I cannot wait:cool1: Only 28 more sleeps. I am so happy I found this thread and am in uber planning mode.

Its all coming together perfectly. Yesterday our Mickey Mail arrived and I was jumping for joy. Today our Magicbands are awaiting us when we get home and I cannot wait:cool1: Only 28 more sleeps. I am so happy I found this thread and am in uber planning mode.

This! 16 more sleeps for us! MBs arrived but still awaiting Mickey Mail! Can't wait!

Stayed at Coronado last week, while there booked bounce back for next year and are going to give POR its first try.....have stayed at POFQ several times in years past, looking forward to seeing another resort.

I am assuming that these are only in AB section? She put in a request for bldg 14 or 15 as she saw our previous requests to be close to transport and main bldg.

I have been researching these type rooms. Do they really have this type? Are they all over AB section? I'm just afraid to get there and they say that the room is only for 2...

Don't worry, those room types do exist, but the ability to actually book for three people is fairly new to the system. For a King Bed room to sleep three, it must have the extra murphy-bed - and those are all in the Alligator Bayou section only:

POR-Room-ABrefurb-King-2012-5693_forum.jpg

You can request buildings 14 or 15 if you wish, or even ask for a river or pool view if one happens to be available, still staying within your booking category. However do remember that requests cannot be guaranteed, so while they do try, your room could still be located anywhere in the Alligator Bayou section.

Andre

So you are saying that I wouldn't pay extra for river or pool view for this type of room? Am I paying extra for the king bed/Murphy bed combo?

Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to clarify here...those type king bed rooms could be anywhere in AB? Just not sure

Oh and btw, thank you for the pic. This is the first time I have seen this type with the king bed and Murphy. This thread and your website is AMAZING!

So you are saying that I wouldn't pay extra for river or pool view for this type of room? Am I paying extra for the king bed/Murphy bed combo?

Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to clarify here...those type king bed rooms could be anywhere in AB? Just not sure

You are paying extra to get a room with a King Bed - any room with a king bed - including those with standard views, garden views, pool views, river views and even in the preferred buildings. But yes, you could normally be located anywhere within the resort - however in your particular case the options would be limited to the Alligator Bayou section only, because of the number of guests in the room.

See my building floorplan maps linked from the resort map in www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php, and (requests notwithstanding) you could be in any of the purple-coloured rooms found in buildings 14-39.

Andre

Does anyone know if POR carries lactose free milk? My DD11 well, is lactose intolerant and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to get around this.... 1st time to POR and we are so excited!

Does anyone know if POR carries lactose free milk? My DD11 well, is lactose intolerant and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to get around this.... 1st time to POR and we are so excited!

Yes they do, you have to ask for it specially though.

Andre

Yes they do, you have to ask for it specially though.

Andre

Thanks sooo much for the heads up! Would you advise that I contact them before we get there or can I just let them know when we check in? I apologize for the lame question however this is our first time travelling to WDW with this bit of a challenge... ;)

You are paying extra to get a room with a King Bed - any room with a king bed - including those with standard views, garden views, pool views, river views and even in the preferred buildings. But yes, you could normally be located anywhere within the resort - however in your particular case the options would be limited to the Alligator Bayou section only, because of the number of guests in the room. See my building floorplan maps linked from the resort map in www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php, and (requests notwithstanding) you could be in any of the purple-coloured rooms found in buildings 14-39. Andre

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

Hi sunfun, as a fellow Disney traveller with dairy issues, I'm chiming in. It doesn't hurt to let them know ahead of time. You will find Disney to be very accommodating. Every quick service stand in the parks is equipped with an ingredient notebook that a manager will willingly assist you with. If you have table service reservations just note the issue on your reservation and a chef will come to your table and go over the options. I have had so many great dining experiences on Disney property. Animal Kingdom now has it's own kiosk with allergen/intolerance free treats and information. Downtown Disney has Babycakes bakery, which is a nice option too.

Hi all I've been stalking the threads for some time. We will be staying at POR the second week of Aug. My husband and step daughter have been there a couple of times but it will be mine and our two other daughters first. We have a king and a garden view booked with the hope of being close together. Connecting would be great but I can live without. So looking forward to POR, don't get me wrong Coronado was great but I love the southern feel.

Can you do online check in for multiple linked rooms, or must you make an online profile for a guest staying in each room?

Not sure exactly what your situation is, we had 2 rooms under 1 reservation number and did online check in just once. If you are talking online profile for FP+, given that our res # was the same I was able to easily select our whole party into "friends and family" even before online checkin was open (or FP+ for that matter). Hope that helps.

How excited was I today when I got the mail and in it was an envelope from Disney!!?? Until I saw that is was my letter to inform me of the refrigerator situation :( Oh well! I will be content with no fridge if need be because in 33 sleeps I will be at the WORLD!!!!!! Really 32 1/2...since we leave at 3 am for the airport! LOL But who's counting?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter