Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChristineOH said:
Only if one of the kids is under 3 years old.

Darn it! My little one turns three in August and we are traveling in Oct. I was afraid of that. I'm going to call and see what they say. Thanks.

andrewilley said:
Erm... are we on the same thread here?

Andre

It was here or somewhere POR was being discussed, faxed requests not being fulfilled lately.... Also a mention that the regular room assigner was on a 3 week leave.... Not a big deal, I was just trying to make a decision about whether or not to fax tomorrow.

tinkerbell1984 said:
I faxed. I asked for either magnolia terrace (any floor) or building 16 or 17 bayou ground floors. I didnt put in any request during online check in or when booking. Asked for close to main pool and bus stop. Got building 17 ground floor. :) It also seems from the portorleans.org site that we have been upgraded from standard to garden!

Thank you!

PORS experts, I really need your advice here.
We have stayed at FQ last year and loved it. Theming was ok, to be honext we preferred the RS especially the manors and our kids liked the pool better at RS.
The thing is we REALLY like FQ because of its compact size and for my mom and kids it was easier, faster to get from A to B.

Well now we are considering the Royal rooms and we do like the Manor areas from theme and gardens..

I took a look at the map and the one bldg (Panterre??) seems so far out..
Also the buses... I recall at FQ we would be first and then took all the stops with RS. I think only MK bus was exclusivly FQ.. We go first week of Sept so crowds were low. Also we head to the parks around 2pm. or so. We prefer sleeping in and heading to parks later in day.. It's too much back and forth for my mom to do a split day.

So basically the only thing holding us back is the size, buses and getting from A to B... We would get breakfast onsite. I have no desire walking 10 minutes to grab a coke or coffee. are the distances this fare..

How can I book a royal room to guarentee a close location?

thanks

We checked in last night around 8pm. ME was waiting for us when we landed, although it did make 4 stops. No big deal. Requested in my original booking AB. Purchased a river view room. I also did online check in with no requests. Sent a fax two days out using getfreefax.com. I received fax confirmation from getfreefax, nothing from hotel though. Requested in fax close to main pool, ground floor. Worried due to later check in. We have the perfect room!!! Love everything so far.

Had pasta and pizza at Riverside Mill last night and it was fabulous. Then hit the pool for a few hours.

Am currently waiting for my sleepyheads to get up so we can explore. (I've been up since 5 am!) thinking about pretending to be housekeeping and start knocking on the door. Wake up already.

We are here for the rest of the week and so far LOVE it!!!

amybaud said:
We checked in last night around 8pm. ME was waiting for us when we landed, although it did make 4 stops. No big deal. Requested in my original booking AB. Purchased a river view room. I also did online check in with no requests. Sent a fax two days out using getfreefax.com. I received fax confirmation from getfreefax, nothing from hotel though. Requested in fax close to main pool, ground floor. Worried due to later check in. We have the perfect room!!! Love everything so far.

Had pasta and pizza at Riverside Mill last night and it was fabulous. Then hit the pool for a few hours.

Am currently waiting for my sleepyheads to get up so we can explore. (I've been up since 5 am!) thinking about pretending to be housekeeping and start knocking on the door. Wake up already.

We are here for the rest of the week and so far LOVE it!!!

Thanks for your live report! How is the WiFi? Enjoy your week.

PORS experts, I really need your advice here.
We have stayed at FQ last year and loved it. Theming was ok, to be honext we preferred the RS especially the manors and our kids liked the pool better at RS.
The thing is we REALLY like FQ because of its compact size and for my mom and kids it was easier, faster to get from A to B.

Well now we are considering the Royal rooms and we do like the Manor areas from theme and gardens..

I took a look at the map and the one bldg (Panterre??) seems so far out..
Also the buses... I recall at FQ we would be first and then took all the stops with RS. I think only MK bus was exclusivly FQ.. We go first week of Sept so crowds were low. Also we head to the parks around 2pm. or so. We prefer sleeping in and heading to parks later in day.. It's too much back and forth for my mom to do a split day.

So basically the only thing holding us back is the size, buses and getting from A to B... We would get breakfast onsite. I have no desire walking 10 minutes to grab a coke or coffee. are the distances this fare..

thanks

With regards to Parterre...I always thought, wow it's so far away, too, but it is right near the 2nd footbridge that goes to the lobby. We were in Oak and Parterre would be the furthest from the Main pool and, to me, that would be it. We just walked across the bridge through the lobby and out to the main bus stop. Didn't seem any further because of the 2nd bridge. Everyone has their opinion on this, I know. We stayed in Acadian, previously, and had to walk across the bridge around the pool. 6 of one...1/2 dozen...We didn't walk 10 minutes to anywhere. We've also never had the bus issues that others have had, either.

Not exactly POR specific, but I'm curious about how you all lock your valuables? Do you utilize the safe or do you lock them in your suit cases?

A very important general question.

We arrive at the resort at about 7am after an overnight flight. We know our rooms likely won't be ready but with lay overs our travel time will be at 12 hours at this point. My daughter has type 1 diabetes and insulin must be kept cold. Our cold packs will keep it cold until we arrive but I don't know about another 6 or 8 hours until we get our room. Does the front desk have a protocol for such things?? A fridge near the desk to put it in perhaps.

Thanks.

Not exactly POR specific, but I'm curious about how you all lock your valuables? Do you utilize the safe or do you lock them in your suit cases?

We use the safe. Even though they are small, I could get my point & shoot and Kindle Fire and extra wallet inside.

We arrive at the resort at about 7am after an overnight flight. We know our rooms likely won't be ready but with lay overs our travel time will be at 12 hours at this point. My daughter has type 1 diabetes and insulin must be kept cold. Our cold packs will keep it cold until we arrive but I don't know about another 6 or 8 hours until we get our room. Does the front desk have a protocol for such things?? A fridge near the desk to put it in perhaps.

Thanks.

They will help you out. I know this happened to others & they were able to either refrigerate it or cooler it for you. You could make a request for early check in for this reason...don't know if you'll get it, but doesn't hurt to ask.

I have never used this service. But I have read many times that bellservice also has a cool room or fridge. Alot of people also store food here I believe when It gets delivered. Seeing that alot of people are on meds that need to be kept cool, this should be no issue.

.... faxed requests not being fulfilled lately.... Also a mention that the regular room assigner was on a 3 week leave....

I have said from the start to always put your requests in your original booking first, and that faxed requests are a lovely pixie-dust extra if you do get them fulfilled - but just don't rely on it, or let it spoil your vacation if you don't. At Port Orleans, the track record is very good though, they really do try to help if they can.

And yes, David (the department manager) will be away for another couple of weeks - but that doesn't stop the rest of his team from helping you of course.

And what have you got to lose anyway? :)

Andre

Ok, so no biggie, just reading through threads and wondering.... ;)

I'm trying to get an idea of how far Parterre is from the main pool area. I know it has the second footbridge to get to the lobby, so I'm not worried about that. Yardages or meters don't do my mind much good, so I was wondering if anyone has stayed at POP and POR and could help me make a comparison? We were in the 80s section of POP and I'm trying to determine if the distance from Parterre to the main pool area is comparable to the distance the 80s section at POP is to Everything Pop.

I have a garden view room booked and am wondering how that varies between AB & the mansion section (if at all). Hoping to be somewhat close to a footbridge to Ol' Man Island and the main building but you never know. Will be faxing in a more specific request in the next few weeks as we arrive June 15.

Thanks.
You might also want to check out this site. We bought one for our son who is also type 1, and it worked great without having to worry about ice packs and freezers.

http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

The best way to guarantee a close location would be to book a Pool View Royal Room. Because of the location of the swimming pool near to the bridge to the main building, all of those rooms are pretty conveniently located. See my building plans which can be found by clicking on the maps at www.portorleans.org/royal-rooms.php.

Andre

In what order are the bus stops at the resort? Thanks!

The buses run clockwise, so the stops are South, West, North, East (some buses stop at the South Depot first and then do the outer route, while others stop at West>North>East first and then South).

Andre

Counting down the days, going to fax tomorrow to POR, already pulled out the suitcases, 3 days of work left, gotta buy stuff to take, pack, preordered photo pass, etc. I'm so excited!!!!!!!:cool1:

DH will be glad when we go, he's tired of hearing about it.:rotfl2:

Wondering if this thread will be at 250 before we leave next Sunday Morning.

I decided not to do online check in, but fax my requests (reinterating) what the TA put on our reservations, hoping for a little pixie dust, but even if we don't get any, what the heck, I'M AT DISNEY!!!!!!!:cheer2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter