• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a special reason why you want upstairs? Is it the view? Just wondering becuase NOBODY I go with ever wants to climb stairs!
:confused3

I requested second floor so that no one would be above us, and fewer people would be walking by the windows. My daughter is a very light sleeper and goes to be really early, so quiet was a major consideration for us.

Did we ever get a final decision on when the best time to fax is? I am 11 days away and am not sure if waiting or faxing sooner is better.

Did we ever get a final decision on when the best time to fax is? I am 11 days away and am not sure if waiting or faxing sooner is better.

From Andre's awesome website and post #1 of this thread.

A few tips to remember when considering making room requests:
•First, ALWAYS make sure that any requests are noted in your original reservation as this is the official method to log room requests for WDW hotels. This can be done by calling your travel agent or the Disney Reservation Center on (407) 934-7639.
•Online checkin can be done up to 60 days in advance, but the requests section which you can fill in is very limited. It would be best to do online checkin BEFORE sending any faxed requests, so any more detailed choices are not overridden.
•Send a FAX directly to the resort about 3-5 days before your arrival date using the numbers listed above. If you don’t have access to a fax machine you can send a free fax online via www.gotfreefax.com.
•Provide your full details (name, address, phone number, email address and reservation number/arrival date). They may contact you about your requests, but don’t worry if you don’t get any confirmation back.
•Be polite but personable, and let them know how much you are looking forward to your stay at POR and how getting your requests fulfilled would make your stay extra-magical.
•Generally, try to request the features or details that you are looking for, rather than just quoting a set of building numbers (e.g. ask for "a mansion building room, fairly close to the food court and the main bus stop").
•Very specific requests (e.g. for one particular room number) can be hard to accommodate, although it might help to use room numbers to narrow down an area you are trying to describe.
•Try to explain the reasons for your requests, as that helps the room assignment team find other options in case your first choice may not be available.
•If you have multiple requests, try to prioritise them in order of your preferences.
•Do your homework first so you don’t make requests that cannot be fulfilled (e.g. don’t ask for a room with a fold-down Murphy bed when you have booked a Royal Guest Room, or book a Preferred Location and then request a mansion building room).
•You can ask if an upgraded room category might be available for your stay (e.g. a River View if you were only able to book Water View) but obviously not all such requests can be granted. It certainly can’t hurt to ask though.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php

LOL, Andre, how would you have said this in British? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

In the UK we abbreviate the word 'mathematics' (which is an already pluralised word) to maths rather than math. It always sounds really strange to me when I hear the phrase "do the math" when I'm in the States or on TV shows, as I wonder what a singular mathematic is. :)

Question I've always been curious about, Andre....you live in the UK but work at POR? Or am I incorrect about working at POR?

Wow, that would be some commute to work! :) No, you're right, I live and work in the UK, and I don't work for Walt Disney World. I just happen to like Port Orleans, and so I ended up creating an Unofficial Guide website. My day job is in technical support for retail till and computer systems.

I still suggest somewhere in the region of 3-5 days before you arrive, as that was the timescale recommended to me by the Room Assignment Manager at Port Orleans based on when they start to block out any specific room requirements. But do remember that it's not a science, it's just a hotel room preference.

Andre

Andre - on a side topic. I am a Big Bang Theory fan-atic. I found a great website where a guy posts the scripts. Sometimes at work, I take a break and read one for a couple of laughs.

I did notice he is definitely Canadian, because there are a few words that he spells slightly differently - it is too early to think of one now, but it is like he adds a "u" or something where phonetically it would be how it is pronounced in Canada. Sure enough, he is.

Andre - on a side topic. I am a Big Bang Theory fan-atic. I found a great website where a guy posts the scripts. Sometimes at work, I take a break and read one for a couple of laughs.

I did notice he is definitely Canadian, because there are a few words that he spells slightly differently - it is too early to think of one now, but it is like he adds a "u" or something where phonetically it would be how it is pronounced in Canada. Sure enough, he is.

Like color and colour for example. I am Canadian and words without the u are strange to me. My Iphone always puts a spelling error in my spelling (like now under colour) lol

First time at POR. With fd couldn't book preferred only garden view. Going Oct. 18-27. We have an almost 3 year old and a 9 and 12 year old. I'm renting a stroller so I will have one at POR with me. I don't care if we have a second floor without elevator. I do care about how far away from main building I could be. I had some cms say 15 min walk others say 5. The bus stops at 4 places if not sharing with FQ-is that a big prob waiting? Is there a pool for tots there? Or anything like a splash pad (stayed at pop 4 years ago and they had the water squirting up play area). I'm sure we will love it there but little freaked out about not knowing. I can see me lost finding my room lol

First time at POR. With fd couldn't book preferred only garden view. Going Oct. 18-27. We have an almost 3 year old and a 9 and 12 year old. I'm renting a stroller so I will have one at POR with me. I don't care if we have a second floor without elevator. I do care about how far away from main building I could be. I had some cms say 15 min walk others say 5. The bus stops at 4 places if not sharing with FQ-is that a big prob waiting? Is there a pool for tots there? Or anything like a splash pad (stayed at pop 4 years ago and they had the water squirting up play area). I'm sure we will love it there but little freaked out about not knowing. I can see me lost finding my room lol

We have only stayed in the Mansion Buildings but I have never found the walk to be to long (will have to time it). We always just cut across OL Man Island. There is a kiddie pool on OL man island but it doesn't have any water features (unless its been changed since our last trip). I have a 3 & 6 year old (they were 5 ands year and a half on our last trip) and they loved it.

Like color and colour for example. I am Canadian and words without the u are strange to me. My Iphone always puts a spelling error in my spelling (like now under colour) lol

I'm an American living in Canada and I find it very strange when I see color, neighbor or humor with a U in it!

Hello Everyone ~ this is directed specifically to Venom and Andre. In 10 days until we arrive at POR. I plan on sending a fax with a request prior to our trip. The problem is that my last day in the office (where I have a fax machine) is Tuesday ~ 6 days out.

Do you think sending the fax then is okay, or should I wait and use gotfreefax.com. Having said that, if that's the case, I am wondering what other people who have used this service think? I've never used anything like this before. Do you get a confirmation from gotfreefax so that you know your fax went through?

So excited about our first visit to POR and want to thank everyone, especially Venom and Andre for all of the wonderful information that I've taken from this thread. :cool1:

Hello Everyone ~ this is directed specifically to Venom and Andre. In 10 days until we arrive at POR. I plan on sending a fax with a request prior to our trip. The problem is that my last day in the office (where I have a fax machine) is Tuesday ~ 6 days out.

Do you think sending the fax then is okay, or should I wait and use gotfreefax.com. Having said that, if that's the case, I am wondering what other people who have used this service think? I've never used anything like this before. Do you get a confirmation from gotfreefax so that you know your fax went through?

So excited about our first visit to POR and want to thank everyone, especially Venom and Andre for all of the wonderful information that I've taken from this thread. :cool1:

Don't use that website! I did got confirmation it went through by the hotel told me they never received anything!

I feel so stupid......I can't figure out where to do the online check-in.....I've been all over the Disney website!! :badpc:

We leave in 8 days! Help! Thank you!

melissafox18 said:
Hi oh wise POR people! I am researching a trip for DH and I to go for my 30th birthday in April. This will be our first moderate resort and I finally landed on POR after weeks of research on pretty much all the resorts.

We are planning on renting a car, but I still have a question on location...I really like the Mansions section based on appearance, but I'm concerned on distance to the main building (to refill mugs and get breakfast, etc). Any guestimate of how long of a walk it is? What is the best of the mansions building?

Outside of that, I don't mind location since we'll be driving to parks.

Thanks for the help!!!

Stayed in Oak Manor in the center on the riverview side of the building. It was an easy 5-10 minute walk for us to the main building and South Depot. I should add we always "walk with purpose." LOL!

CareHeartsDisney said:
You're welcome! My kids have stayed at POR, Poly, AoA (in a Cars suite) and at CSR. Their favorite resort was Poly followed by POR, AoA and CSR. We all loved POR and it was a ton less expensive than the Poly!
My hubby wants to try Poly after our visit for dinner at Ohana.

If this is your first time eating at 'Ohana, you are going to love it. We've eaten there our last 3 visits. My DS13 loves to eat and you wouldn't know it by looking at him. He is very skinny. He is in heaven when we eat there.

I plan on sending a fax with a request prior to our trip. The problem is that my last day in the office (where I have a fax machine) is Tuesday ~ 6 days out.

Honestly folks, please stop stressing so much about fax timings! It really won't make a massive difference, just send the fax before you finish work; it might get actioned, it might not - but a day or two either way won't make them burn it in anger. The official place for requests is in your original booking anyway, and I guess 95% of guests don't send any faxes at all, they simply book and then turn up at the hotel on the day.

So 6 days, 5 days, 4 days? Not a big difference in the grand scheme of things - and at the end of the day it is only a hotel room preference, not an application for a mortgage or a new job. Don't worry too much about it.

So chill, relax - fax if you want - but basically just look forward to enjoying your vacation...

Andre

Honestly folks, please stop stressing so much about fax timings! It really won't make a massive difference, just send the fax before you finish work; it might get actioned, it might not - but a day or two either way won't make them burn it in anger. The official place for requests is in your original booking anyway, and I guess 95% of guests don't send any faxes at all, they simply book and then turn up at the hotel on the day.

So 6 days, 5 days, 4 days? Not a big difference in the grand scheme of things - and at the end of the day it is only a hotel room preference, not an application for a mortgage or a new job. Don't worry too much about it.

So chill, relax - fax if you want - but basically just look forward to enjoying your vacation...

Andre

:rotfl:

Sage advice as always :thumbsup2

Towmater Blue said:

We enjoyed Ohana. It is on our repeat list. My hubby wants to try Poly, but I love POR. We may have to schedule a split vacation on our next trip to the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter