• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bounceback dates:

4/14-5/21/13, 5/28-6/8/13, 8/4-10/5/13, 10/20-11/2/13, 11/17-11/23/13, 11/30-12/4/13, and 12/15-12/19/13.

Hope that helps!

Packing up before our last breakfast at Kona Cafe before we head to the airport :(

Bounceback dates:

4/14-5/21/13, 5/28-6/8/13, 8/4-10/5/13, 10/20-11/2/13, 11/17-11/23/13, 11/30-12/4/13, and 12/15-12/19/13.

Hope that helps!

Packing up before our last breakfast at Kona Cafe before we head to the airport :(

That seems to be pretty consistent to last year; I go the week after Thanksgiving (normally, this is an exception this year), and the first full week of December is always blacked out due to Pop Warner Competition.

hello we have booked a king room in Nov 15-22.

can anyone make a suggestion for a good room please.

thanks in advance

I would also suggest looking at the link provided. You didn't give me information regarding what you are looking for.

It depends on whether you like the more rustic look or the mansions.

Do you want to be close to transportation or a pool. Do you prefer being in the first floor so you can walk right out the door or the top floor, so there is no one above you.

The only buildings you will not be in would be Oak Manor or Partarre Place, which have no king bed rooms.

We are here now (4/20-4/27) :) This is our first time staying on property and we are absolutely loving POR. We have a room in AB building 26 second floor garden view. We had booked a standard view. It was a nice surprise being upgraded at check-in.

For the poster who asked about the coffee: I made sure to pay attention this morning while filling up my mug. The coffee dispenser said "Nescafe"

I will try to answer any questions people might have while I'm here. Will definitely give a longer review once we get home.

We just got back from our family trip to POR and WDW yesterday.

We had reserved a river view room. Because my SIL had a party of 5 we knew we'd be in one of three buildings, 14, 27, or 38 at AB. I had requested first floor rooms because of the kids.

My family and my SIL's did the online check-in things went great for us. Unfortunately for my MIL (Didn't do on-line), they had a glitch in her reservation, and had to remove it and give her a brand new one. This took over a half hour. The CM was nice and pleasant, but needed assistance to do this. I stayed with her while the others headed to their rooms. Not too big of an issue.

The new "keyhole" to the door was different. It worked fine, but the little Mickey cover over the electronics kept falling off everyone's doors. They are having some issues with the bands apparently and the CM told me they have pushed that out for resorts other than the test ones. All in all I liked the way the KTTW work now, with the touch and PIN method for charging.

We were thrilled with the rooms we got! First floor in building 27, MIL in 2729, my family in 2731, and SIL in 2732 (connected). The location was perfect for the main pool and the main building! The walk to the bus was a little longer, but not too bad for us. We had a bunny and an otter that my nephew kept close track of in front by the river.

Ate breakfast at the food court most mornings with DS and MIL. The hot breakfast offerings were decent at best, but OK for the price. The pastry items, however, were above average to excellent. I really enjoyed the danish, and the cinnamon rolls were nice and warm and delicious.

I'm an early riser (we were there around 7 to 7:30) and we had very good luck getting our breakfast and a clean place to sit at the food court, but after 8:15 or so, the place became a madhouse!

Other than breakfast, we only ate a couple of times at the food court. We found the food to be pretty decent. One surprise was the pizza! I've gone on for a long time that I've never had a decent pizza at a WDW resort. That has changed. They made a very good pizza at POR. I ordered a few for our group to have in the room one night and it was delicious.

Cont....

...Cont. (Hope this isn't too long winded for you folks).

When I'm on vacation at WDW I always leave alot of time to get places and don't sweat the bus service, which has been fine most of the time...

...However, the service was really spotty this year. We waited an average of 25 minutes most mornings to get our park buses.

On the other hand, the boats to DTD were prompt and as always, a big plus for staying at POR!

The kids loved the main pool and the arcade. My nephew (4) thought the playground was excellent. It has been updated since we came here last.

We ate at Boatwrights once and the food was very good. DW and I had the prime rib and it was very good. DMIL had the salmon salad and thought it was the best meal she had all week.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at POR, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

As far as the parks, the lines were manageable with a few exceptions. Some things never change apparently, and Soarin' seems to kick out more fast passes then it should which creates long stand by lines, test track goes down 2 or 3 times a day, and splash mountain also seems to have issues that keep you bumping into other logs and waiting...

Hope this is helpful!

...Cont. (Hope this isn't too long winded for you folks).

When I'm on vacation at WDW I always leave alot of time to get places and don't sweat the bus service, which has been fine most of the time...

...However, the service was really spotty this year. We waited an average of 25 minutes most mornings to get our park buses.

On the other hand, the boats to DTD were prompt and as always, a big plus for staying at POR!

The kids loved the main pool and the arcade. My nephew (4) thought the playground was excellent. It has been updated since we came here last.

We ate at Boatwrights once and the food was very good. DW and I had the prime rib and it was very good. DMIL had the salmon salad and thought it was the best meal she had all week.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at POR, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

As far as the parks, the lines were manageable with a few exceptions. Some things never change apparently, and Soarin' seems to kick out more fast passes then it should which creates long stand by lines, test track goes down 2 or 3 times a day, and splash mountain also seems to have issues that keep you bumping into other logs and waiting...

Hope this is helpful!

Timing is certainly everything! We never waited longer than 15 minutes for a bus , although sometimes they were more crowded than I like!

Test track is my 5 year olds favorite ride and thankfully ever broke down while we were there waiting!

We were in room 1721 and had an amazing trip. We did online check in and was greeted by a Castmember with an IPad and everything went smooth. We arrived at 1030 and our room was ready!

Beautiful weather until Sunday, but still not horrible!

spent the last 2 days reading this epic thread... much learned.

Ive got 2 days until im able to to do online check in and i think im as excited as the kids are to go. its their and my wifes 1st time going. We are going june 24-27th.

But have 2 questions, one easy one more complicated.
The in room coffee makers? they just use the regular Kcup pods correct? Me and my wife are big coffee drinkers and it would be nice to able to bring more.

Second...what are the chances we would be getting the magic bands? I showed my kids the pics of them online and they really want them.

Im sure there are more questions but ive got time to think of them.

Second...what are the chances we would be getting the magic bands? I showed my kids the pics of them online and they really want them.

By the end of June, you might stand a chance if things don't get pushed back again - which they already have been several times. I wouldn't put much of my own money on such a bet though, but we shall see.

Andre

By the end of June, you might stand a chance if things don't get pushed back again - which they already have been several times. I wouldn't put much of my own money on such a bet though, but we shall see.

Andre

Kinda what I was thinking. Just wait and see.

Ive got 2 days until im able to to do online check in and i think im as excited as the kids are to go. its their and my wifes 1st time going. We are going june 24-27th.

The in room coffee makers? they just use the regular Kcup pods correct? Me and my wife are big coffee drinkers and it would be nice to able to bring more.

You are welcome to bring as many pods as you wish; you are not bound by using just what they leave you or the brand either.

We are hoping for them the third week in June as well, but until they are officially rolled out by Disney for everyone, there is no speculation what will occur.

Right now, it is by invite only, because it is tied into the new Fastpass system, so they are "testing it" or "working out the kinks."

I don't think the coffee makers take Kcups, but I could be wrong since we have not stayed at POR yet.

I don't think the coffee makers take Kcups, but I could be wrong since we have not stayed at POR yet.

When we were there in December they were normal coffee makers. We actually brought our keurig because we are huge coffee drinkers!

Ok so here it is: From 8/1-8/8 at POR in the standard RR

ADR's
8/1-check-in
8/2- Tusker House 11:15 am-AK
8/3- Ohana 5:15 pm-resort day pirate cruise DD 8/4- Garden Grill 5:50 pm- Epcot
8/5- Boatwright's 6:40 pm- resort day-DTD
8/6- Mamma Melrose w/Fantasmic 4:30pm- DHS 8/7- BBB/ 3:25 pm- Cinderella's Royal Table
8:15 pm-MK
8/8- checkout

OMG so exciting! I went ahead and said the heck with it and added the RR with dining for our first night. I was trying to save some $ by just getting a standard room but once I did the math I was like forget it just do it. By adding the extra night of dinner I got the ADR for the Royal Table at MK our last night :D Can you tell I'm giddy!! Oh and 100 days to go!!

June 24th check-in for us too!! Can't wait to do online check-in and feel like we're getting closer! :cool1: My first time back since I was 10 (30 years ago!) and first time for DH and kids! Hoping for the bands too. I guess we'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter