Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
andrewilley said:
I'm aware of the POR issue that Venom had (all in all it's not been a good week for him and his family!!) but although it certainly would leave a bad taste in the mouth at the time, and it meant they had to move rooms at the very least, it is one of those unfortunate things which realistically might happen anywhere. However, hopefully now that the resort staff are aware of it they will have dealt with the problem (it was not bedbugs by the way, but was similarly distasteful) and it is no longer an issue - except by association for those involved of course.

Unfortunately, with 3,000+ rooms there are going to be occasional issues (even nasty ones) but if you let isolated cases sway your decision as to what you're going to do over the months or years to come then you'll never stay anywhere, and certainly never set foot on an aeroplane or even a bus.

Andre

The voice of reason :) Thanks Andre for trying to settle the masses!! I have a dear friend who was on a Disney cruise back in October with her family (first time for everyone), and the their experience was fantastic up until the last few days courtesy of Hurricane Sandy. Her first knee jerk reaction was to say she would never go on another Disney cruise and she is a Dis Nut!!! But, then came back and said I won't say never! She quickly stressed that I shouldn't let her bad experience hinder my decisions, as we are thinking of a Dis Cruise in 2015 to celebrate getting out of debt!!!

And, I think there have been far more magical experiences than bad to have everyone jump ship. I'm still considering switching our ressie from BC to POR (Royal River View to boot), so I'm still subscribed to this thread!! A part of me almost doesn't want to know what happened as I don't want that to influence me, but I will read what Venom has to say. I also travel enough with my son's travel hockey team and had my share of bad experiences with hotels, but I still go and stay, I'm just a little more cautious when entering a room before I set up my home away from home!!

I enjoy reading everyone's POVs and TRs as I glean some great ideas from them!!!

Venom I'm glad your little sweetie is feeling better, I always wish when my kids are sick like that, that I could just be sick for them!!

I think you have a great POV. Many people read an issue with one person, and apply it to their worst fears and jump ship. They often don't realize your choice to not return is not based on overall quality of the resort, but your actual issue, and the fact that you will likely always remember the issue when returning to the resort and thus want to avoid remembering the unmagical. That doesn't necessarily mean anyone else should be ultimately deterred. Inspecting before settling is very sage advice.

Am very interested to read your TR to see what it was though. Hopefully you're all doing better now that you've moved out and your little one is healing!

Well said! Although I feel really bad for Venom, he has been so helpful to those of us who love POR.

I'm aware of the POR issue that Venom had (all in all it's not been a good week for him and his family!!) but although it certainly would leave a bad taste in the mouth at the time, and it meant they had to move rooms at the very least, it is one of those unfortunate things which realistically might happen anywhere. However, hopefully now that the resort staff are aware of it they will have dealt with the problem (it was not bedbugs by the way, but was similarly distasteful) and it is no longer an issue - except by association for those involved of course.

Unfortunately, with 3,000+ rooms there are going to be occasional issues (even nasty ones) but if you let isolated cases sway your decision as to what you're going to do over the months or years to come then you'll never stay anywhere, and certainly never set foot on an aeroplane or even a bus.

Andre

Yes I don't know the issue but glad to hear not bedbugs. The issue of more concern was if it was just one time thing (was mentioned maybe others had same issue he had alluded to). More of concern is how the issue was addressed. Yes bad things happen but how it was addressed or for that matter if it was something that should not have been overlooked when mousekeeping cleaned is more of the concern. Negative experiences are at all hotels at some point.

IS the fax number for room requests on the first page? Found the letter but I cant the number to fax to! Maybe I am just too excited but cant find it! Sorry, I know this has been asked before

I am really worried it is a hygeine/ health issue - I am scared of germs and illness and the stories of sickness bugs/ food poisoning already have me scared and now this :( Trying not to let it worry me too much. Also can't PM as I am too new...

I hope your vacation has improved Venom and I am sorry you have not had the best time

I am really worried it is a hygeine/ health issue - I am scared of germs and illness and the stories of sickness bugs/ food poisoning already have me scared and now this :( Trying not to let it worry me too much. Also can't PM as I am too new...

I hope your vacation has improved Venom and I am sorry you have not had the best time

We moved from POR and today we are all better. But only one more vacation day! :(

IS the fax number for room requests on the first page? Found the letter but I cant the number to fax to! Maybe I am just too excited but cant find it! Sorry, I know this has been asked before

It's right at the top of the first post.

I'm sorry for your troubles, Venom. Watching your little girl being sick sucks in the worst way.

Question for the DIS brain trust: I did online check in today with the intention of leaving a note that we couldn't have any down pillows in the room as my wife is pretty allergic but there was no place there to leave a note. Should I call and have a note added to the rez or is there an e-mail address I can use?

I am not so sure one preson's isolated problem should make everyone decide to jump ship, even if that preson is Venom. I will certainly be reading his report to find ut what the issue is, but problems crop up at ALL resorts, period. Someone is gonig to be dispeased at some point and voice that, even when the resort is doing its best to resolve the issue. With a property as large as WDW it is GOING to happen. I am reserving judgement until I find out what the problem was and how the staff handled it. I will also be considering WHO was involved as far as staff and wether it is an isolated incident or a pervasive problem. I don't think everyone needs to freak just yet.

I've just been lurking here since we booked POR Royal Room for our July stay, but I think this was very well said. I'm most interested to hear how the problem was handled. Problems WILL occur.

I did online check in today with the intention of leaving a note that we couldn't have any down pillows in the room as my wife is pretty allergic but there was no place there to leave a note. Should I call and have a note added to the rez or is there an e-mail address I can use?

You should have your request noted in your original booking (call the reservations center to get them to do this) but it would also be worth getting in touch with the resort directly a few days before you arrive to re-inforce this (e.g. by fax).

Andre

I didn't realize down pillows were an option. Thanks for the comment as I am allergic as well.

I will make sure to note "a feather free room" on my fax :goodvibes

Where did u move to?

Saratoga Springs with one bedroom villa.

I'm sorry for your troubles, Venom. Watching your little girl being sick sucks in the worst way.

Question for the DIS brain trust: I did online check in today with the intention of leaving a note that we couldn't have any down pillows in the room as my wife is pretty allergic but there was no place there to leave a note. Should I call and have a note added to the rez or is there an e-mail address I can use?

Thank you it usually never happens to us.

I've just been lurking here since we booked POR Royal Room for our July stay, but I think this was very well said. I'm most interested to hear how the problem was handled. Problems WILL occur.

Well they try to relocate you internally but if they don't have availability they search surrounding resorts. Keeping your reservation details in mind.

Glad your little one is well now Venom. Enjoy your last bit of time at WDW :)

Thank you but we can come back to the parks anytime.

You should have your request noted in your original booking (call the reservations center to get them to do this) but it would also be worth getting in touch with the resort directly a few days before you arrive to re-inforce this (e.g. by fax).

Andre

Thank you!

So looking forward to staying at POR again! This will be our 4th time staying here and we love it! This is one of the nicest resorts on Disney!

Feeling a little (or alot!) nervous now about our trip in three weeks to a Royal Room at POR. Ugh. I'm so sorry for what happened to Venom. Looking forward to reading the trip report and trying not to freak out in the meantime.

hineline07 said:
We will be there in 29 days! It's our first trip and we're so excited! My question is this... We didn't get tickets in our package bc my DH is in the military so we're waiting until we get there... We arrive on the 7th but have a ADR the next morning at 8... Do we need to go get our tickets the night we get there (the 7th)... Also, since our tickets were not included in the package we got, will they still be on our key to the world card or no? Thanks

Does anyone know anything on this? Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter