• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a picture of my "planning door" from our Oct. trip. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan so we had lots of TS. I used colored notecards for our ADR's. The yellow are breakfast, purple is lunch and pink was dinner.

ry%3D400

Hi all!

I'm currently booked at CBR for early May and while I LOVE the look/idea of the resort, the not so great things I keep hearing about it make me nervous...

I'm curious about POR...I really like the look & rooms in Magnolia Bend but really do NOT like the theme of Alligator Bayou. Aside from booking a Royal Room (I have 2 young boys who would not be fans of that lol) is there a way to ensure I end up in MB?? By booking certain views??

I looked on Port Oleans.org and maybe I missed it :confused3

Any advice given would be much appreciated :)

I'm sure Andre will answer your questions about ensuring a MB area room. I thought I would give you my two cents regarding CBR vs POR. I have stayed at both.

CBR: we loved the main pool. Our room was very spacious. enjoyed the island theme, music & feel.
CBR: we did not love the food court (it could have changed since were there however) This resort is big, but still felt crowded at times. Is very bright & loud, kind of like being in the parks (just my opinion)

POR: We loved the main pool here even better. Also love the quiet pools. The resort is big also, but never seems crowded. There is lots of shade, we loved the lanscaping and southern theme. The food court is much better in my opinion. More activites offered (carriage ride, boat to DTD - option of swimming at the POFQ pool)

The resort is quiet and relaxing in a way that CBR wasn't for us. After a long day in the parks, we like the change of pace that POR provides. We never had bus issues at either resort, but as has been said many times, realistic expectations and a good attitude go a long way concerning busses. Hope this helps with your decision.

Me again.....I was able to book a preferred room for Sat 4/27...our package starts on Sun in a preferred room which means we have 2 reservations (a room only for Sat and then package starting Sunday). So what does this mean? I assume I'd get the same room since I was able to book and pay for the same category for both the one night room only and 6 night package reservations. Do I check out on Sunday morning, check back in and get my tickets? Would it be easier to just cancel BOTH and rebook as a 7night package? Or just leave as is and have them link the reservations?

I'm confused, why did you book a separate one night reservation instead of just extending the 6 day by one day?

If you're not going to the parks on the extra day, you don't have to add that to your ticket (even though at that level the extra day is only about $10). The only thing that would be extended is a dining plan, if you're on one.

Chuckers said:
I'm confused, why did you book a separate one night reservation instead of just extending the 6 day by one day?

If you're not going to the parks on the extra day, you don't have to add that to your ticket (even though at that level the extra day is only about $10). The only thing that would be extended is a dining plan, if you're on one.

We are doing the same thing. Extending the dining plan is an extra $300 for us for extending one night for meals we don't want/wont use.

Stacy

Srbright said:
We are doing the same thing. Extending the dining plan is an extra $300 for us for extending one night for meals we don't want/wont use.

Stacy

You just gave me a great idea! We're doing the deluxe dining, but we wouldn't get in until later that evening most likely, so it would save us $300 or so too...food for thought! Just how much of a hassle will it be? Do you do online checkin for both then?

This is such a helpful thread. Andre, thanks so much for all the useful information. Also, thanks to Venom for your help.

In regards to the Royal Guest Rooms, it seems that most prefer Oak Manor for convenience. I don't mind a walk, I just want to be reasonably convenient to a bus depot. Do any of you actually prefer the Parterre Building? If so, my I ask why. Thanks in advance for input!

We returned last month from POR with extended family and had 10 different Royal rooms, river view, in the northern wing of Parterre - right next to the pool between Parterre and Oak.
I loved Parerre place. Before we went, I though Oak would be better for us, but the location we were assigned (after speaking with the room assignment mgr at POR) were great. We were directly across the foot bridge leading to the South depot bus stop, which was convenient. The main building and food court were also very close. It was also less than a 10 minute walk to the FQ side. An ideal location overall.
If you were in the south wing of Partrerre, the walk would be a little longer, but it's very open to the River in that section, so the view is great. (Many of the rooms in the north wing -next to the pool) have some trees in front that partially block the river view).
You can look on google maps and zoom in on the building, then refer to Andre's floor layout with room numbers on the portorleans.org website, very helpful! Good luck!

cocofifi said:
This is such a helpful thread. Andre, thanks so much for all the useful information. Also, thanks to Venom for your help.

In regards to the Royal Guest Rooms, it seems that most prefer Oak Manor for convenience. I don't mind a walk, I just want to be reasonably convenient to a bus depot. Do any of you actually prefer the Parterre Building? If so, my I ask why. Thanks in advance for input!

I LOVE Parterre! We had an awesome room right in the center of the building on the top floor. Excellent location with a beautiful view and convenient to elevator, stairs, parking lot, and walkways. Quiet too!

So, I was reading on the portorleans.org website and noticed this under transportation
"Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots."

Does this mean that in the morning we should just use the South Depot? Or do the other bus stops still get picked up, it's just that the South Depot has it's own bus?

So, I was reading on the portorleans.org website and noticed this under transportation
"Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots."

Does this mean that in the morning we should just use the South Depot? Or do the other bus stops still get picked up, it's just that the South Depot has it's own bus?

Yes this is why I prefer the South Depo.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just thinking that when we go in the summer we will always get on at the South Depot, but get off at whichever is closest.

Just when you get there and kinda have to make sure your keeping an eye out for the bus you want because if everyone waiting is going to the same place they kinda jump up and swarm the bus area.

Just for reference and for anyone interested, this was our view from our room. We had room #8781 in Magnolia
P1000514.jpg

We walked up that pathway several times a day during Presidents Week to get from our Royal River View room to the parking lot or the East Depot bus stop.

Andre

Can I ship a case of water to the resort from Walmart, Costco, or staples? How long does it take?

Yes you can, I can't say how long it takes though. The resort will hold your items for you until you arrive, but please make sure the package is marked accordingly if it needs to be kept refrigerated. See www.portorleans.org/services.php#Mail for shipping details.

I'm curious about POR...I really like the look & rooms in Magnolia Bend but really do NOT like the theme of Alligator Bayou. Aside from booking a Royal Room (I have 2 young boys who would not be fans of that lol) is there a way to ensure I end up in MB?? By booking certain views??

Sadly no, apart from booking a Royal Room there's no way to guarantee you'll get the mansion buildings section. No particular room category gives you a much better chance than any other, it's all down to requests and keeping your fingers crossed I'm afraid. See www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php for suggestions on how to do this.

Me again.....I was able to book a preferred room for Sat 4/27...our package starts on Sun in a preferred room which means we have 2 reservations (a room only for Sat and then package starting Sunday). So what does this mean? I assume I'd get the same room since I was able to book and pay for the same category for both the one night room only and 6 night package reservations. Do I check out on Sunday morning, check back in and get my tickets?

Just make sure that your reservations are listed as continuing, and let the resort know you'd like to stay in the same room if possible. They usually can arrange this. Technically you'll need to check out and back in, but usually it's just a formality.

We returned last month from POR with extended family and had 10 different Royal rooms, river view, in the northern wing of Parterre - right next to the pool between Parterre and Oak.

That's a perfect location, those River View rooms are about the closest to the main buildings that you can get. If you had ten of them, you must have had just about the whole end of the wing!

Andre

We walked up that pathway several times a day during Presidents Week to get from our Royal River View room to the parking lot or the East Depot bus stop.

Andre

So since you were in the RGR's did you find the east depot was better, or is it worth going to the south depot. It sounds like the south can get crazy if you try to get on with kids, but it seems like people don't mention the east stop making me wonder if it is worth going to south to get on and east to get off. If you go to the east stop, do they run as frequently as south? Is it one bus for south, the another for west, north, and east? What order do they go in for pick up?

So since you were in the RGR's did you find the east depot was better, or is it worth going to the south depot.

From where we were, the East Depot was closest and we found things worked quite well from there. The order that the buses take varies by park (and other random variables that I still can't fathom!) but for the MK we found that the buses were mostly fairly empty, and they then went on to the South Depot and then to their destination.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter