1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelleigh1

kelleigh1 <font color=purple>Disney Baby<br><font color=gree

Here's a picture of my "planning door" from our Oct. trip. We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan so we had lots of TS. I used colored notecards for our ADR's. The yellow are breakfast, purple is lunch and pink was dinner.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. LovingDisny

LovingDisny I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

I'm sure Andre will answer your questions about ensuring a MB area room. I thought I would give you my two cents regarding CBR vs POR. I have stayed at both.

CBR: we loved the main pool. Our room was very spacious. enjoyed the island theme, music & feel.
    CBR: we did not love the food court (it could have changed since were there however) This resort is big, but still felt crowded at times. Is very bright & loud, kind of like being in the parks (just my opinion)

POR: We loved the main pool here even better. Also love the quiet pools. The resort is big also, but never seems crowded. There is lots of shade, we loved the lanscaping and southern theme. The food court is much better in my opinion. More activites offered (carriage ride, boat to DTD - option of swimming at the POFQ pool)

The resort is quiet and relaxing in a way that CBR wasn't for us. After a long day in the parks, we like the change of pace that POR provides. We never had bus issues at either resort, but as has been said many times, realistic expectations and a good attitude go a long way concerning busses. Hope this helps with your decision.

4. kelleigh1

kelleigh1 <font color=purple>Disney Baby<br><font color=gree

Gorgeous!!!!

5. LovingDisny

LovingDisny I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

Thanks for the picture. I love it!

6. stephyarcouette

stephyarcouette Earning My Ears

Does every room at POR have a balcony or some sort of outdoor space?

7. Koh1977

Koh1977 DIS Veteran

Shared balcony/walkway since they're all exterior hallways.

8. Chuckers

Chuckers Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

I'm confused, why did you book a separate one night reservation instead of just extending the 6 day by one day?

If you're not going to the parks on the extra day, you don't have to add that to your ticket (even though at that level the extra day is only about $10). The only thing that would be extended is a dining plan, if you're on one.

9. Srbright

Srbright Mouseketeer

We are doing the same thing. Extending the dining plan is an extra $300 for us for extending one night for meals we don't want/wont use.

Stacy

10. Koh1977

Koh1977 DIS Veteran

You just gave me a great idea! We're doing the deluxe dining, but we wouldn't get in until later that evening most likely, so it would save us $300 or so too...food for thought! Just how much of a hassle will it be? Do you do online checkin for both then?

11. Sherrkel

Sherrkel Disney World Dreamer . . . My Home Away From Home

We returned last month from POR with extended family and had 10 different Royal rooms, river view, in the northern wing of Parterre - right next to the pool between Parterre and Oak.
    I loved Parerre place. Before we went, I though Oak would be better for us, but the location we were assigned (after speaking with the room assignment mgr at POR) were great. We were directly across the foot bridge leading to the South depot bus stop, which was convenient. The main building and food court were also very close. It was also less than a 10 minute walk to the FQ side. An ideal location overall.
    If you were in the south wing of Partrerre, the walk would be a little longer, but it's very open to the River in that section, so the view is great. (Many of the rooms in the north wing -next to the pool) have some trees in front that partially block the river view).
    You can look on google maps and zoom in on the building, then refer to Andre's floor layout with room numbers on the portorleans.org website, very helpful! Good luck!

12. Gorechick

Gorechick DIS Veteran

I LOVE Parterre! We had an awesome room right in the center of the building on the top floor. Excellent location with a beautiful view and convenient to elevator, stairs, parking lot, and walkways. Quiet too!

13. Chuckers

Chuckers Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Okay.. that I can understand :)

14. 916chipndale

916chipndale You've got a friend in me It all started by a mous

So, I was reading on the portorleans.org website and noticed this under transportation
    "Note: generally the early morning buses departing from the South Depot do not then continue on to service the East, North and West Depots, instead heading straight onward to their destination. Other buses will serve the outer three Depots."

Does this mean that in the morning we should just use the South Depot? Or do the other bus stops still get picked up, it's just that the South Depot has it's own bus?

15. Venomhatch

Venomhatch Cast Member, DisDads #708,

Yes this is why I prefer the South Depo.

16. 916chipndale

916chipndale You've got a friend in me It all started by a mous

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just thinking that when we go in the summer we will always get on at the South Depot, but get off at whichever is closest.

17. Venomhatch

Venomhatch Cast Member, DisDads #708,

Just when you get there and kinda have to make sure your keeping an eye out for the bus you want because if everyone waiting is going to the same place they kinda jump up and swarm the bus area.

18. andrewilley

andrewilley GNU Terry Pratchett

We walked up that pathway several times a day during Presidents Week to get from our Royal River View room to the parking lot or the East Depot bus stop.

Andre

19. andrewilley

Yes you can, I can't say how long it takes though. The resort will hold your items for you until you arrive, but please make sure the package is marked accordingly if it needs to be kept refrigerated. See www.portorleans.org/services.php#Mail for shipping details.

Sadly no, apart from booking a Royal Room there's no way to guarantee you'll get the mansion buildings section. No particular room category gives you a much better chance than any other, it's all down to requests and keeping your fingers crossed I'm afraid. See www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php for suggestions on how to do this.

Just make sure that your reservations are listed as continuing, and let the resort know you'd like to stay in the same room if possible. They usually can arrange this. Technically you'll need to check out and back in, but usually it's just a formality.

That's a perfect location, those River View rooms are about the closest to the main buildings that you can get. If you had ten of them, you must have had just about the whole end of the wing!

Andre

20. lillykat

lillykat DIS Veteran

So since you were in the RGR's did you find the east depot was better, or is it worth going to the south depot. It sounds like the south can get crazy if you try to get on with kids, but it seems like people don't mention the east stop making me wonder if it is worth going to south to get on and east to get off. If you go to the east stop, do they run as frequently as south? Is it one bus for south, the another for west, north, and east? What order do they go in for pick up?

21. andrewilley

From where we were, the East Depot was closest and we found things worked quite well from there. The order that the buses take varies by park (and other random variables that I still can't fathom!) but for the MK we found that the buses were mostly fairly empty, and they then went on to the South Depot and then to their destination.

Andre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.