Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting to get payed next Friday to book my standard room for our first night at POR. I just want a standard room since we already have the RR for the rest of the week. Hopefully the standard category will still be available for our trip in August.

I'm waiting to get payed next Friday to book my standard room for our first night at POR. I just want a standard room since we already have the RR for the rest of the week. Hopefully the standard category will still be available for our trip in August.

Call and see if you can get a complimentary seven day hold on a room reservation. I've done this.:thumbsup2

Hi all!
We just returned yesterday from a 6 night stay at POR and had a wonderful time! Thank you to all the amazing tips and advice we got from this board!

Check-in was great; it definitely helped that we had done online check-in, although we arrived at 1am, there were many flight delays due to weather, and there was a pretty decent crowd checking in. Those who didn't do online check-in seemed to have a pretty considerate wait, despite the late hour.
We got an amazing room in building 14 -- second floor, corner, and couldn't have been happier-- the extra light was superb! We paid for River View, and did enjoy it, but my in-laws were garden view around the back and they had an awesome view as well! We couldn't have asked for more convenience to the main pool, food court, or bus stop than from our building! The only downside was that we didn't need to wander the beautiful grounds at all (not much of a downside!).

The food court was great! Always plenty of tables and CMs were always friendly and helpful. Something I learned with the refillable mugs -- they keep a selection of tea bags at the cashiers and will happily let you take what you need. People must have been filling pockets with them is all I can think for the controlled distribution, but they were always pleasant. (You don't have to wait in line, just politely ask from the back of the cashiers.) The make your own pasta and salad stations were great, as was the bakery!

The gift shop was by far the best we've experienced in the 6 or more Disney hotels we've stayed at! It's a mini World of Disney with a great assortment of all things. FYI: I was pleasantly surprised to see that the grocery area of the gift shop had a super variety of Entennmans goods (great for breakfasts!) and chips and dips at retail sale prices; no need to bring or have them shipped! We did use Garden Grocer, and were quite pleased, but it was nice to add to our snack stash at affordable prices and also to store the info away for future use.

The Ol' Man Island main pool was fabulous and there were always plenty of chairs in both the shade and sun. Pictures do not do the pool area justice at all. For example, the pond themed tiling was adorable, and the water sprays were great. Although the hot tub got quite crowded at night, during the day it was fine, and I noticed that people were very considerate about letting others have a turn. CMs were meticulous about picking up towels people left behind, and the pool activities were fun and engaging for my 7yo.

Mousekeeping was good in building 14 also. We were greeted with a Mickey head towel, and although were a bit disappointed to not receive more, there were countless other ways they were thoughtful....i.e. always restocking soaps, shampoos, glasses, coffee, etc. They also always neatly arranged my 7yo's growing mountain of stuffies and treasures on the trundle, and even lined up all our shoes each day. lol. We tipped each day.

We had absolutely no issues with space in the room -- in fact it was plentiful. We stored all our food and snacks in the cubbies next to the fridge. There was additional room on the top of these shelves next to the coffee pot. There was also a lot of space for "things" on the shelves across the top of the trundle and on top of the rod in the sink area. We also used the table and the area on top of the air conditioner. I did bring 2 collapsible hanging clothes thingees which my 11yo and I each used -- it was great to have them behind the curtain. My 7yo happily used the drawers under her trundle (which was comfy and big enough for me to lay on!), and my husband lived out of his suitcase which he kept on top of our other suitcases in the corner next to our bed and behind the door. We do NOT travel lightly, but there was more than enough space for all.

The boat to DTD was fun...although warning...the line got very long and crowded from 6-8 and after 9 on the return. The bus seemed more convenient, but it was a long ride with many stops. The boat ride is wonderful, but I'd scope out the line trends when you're there so a long wait doesn't hurt the magic.

Thanks to all the recos here we saw Yeeha Bob our last night! We almost skipped it because we were tired, but were so glad we didn't! He was awesome and truly lived up to all the praise here! He did a super job of engaging all the kids and adults into his show and a great time was had by all!

I really want to end by thanking everyone on this board again, especially Andre and Venom, I really appreciate all the help we had to make our trip extra awesome!

About half of the rooms are connecting, you could always request a room without a connecting door if you are really worried (but I wouldn't be too bothered, there are two fairly solid doors between you and the next room).

Andre

I can completely understand the person who asked this question having concerns. While completely safe and secure, we had a not so fun experience with a connecting room at Pop Century a few years ago. There were a few little kiddos in the room next to us who thought it was FUN and HILARIOUS to open their side of the door and bang on ours. No adult correction that we could hear, and it kept happening all....week.....long. Pretty annoying!

Is paying for a view worthwhile? I always pay for a view when staying deluxe since I utilize the balconies a lot. I did pay for a GV for POR RGR. Is the riverview worth the extra money?

Also I see the two buildings where the RGR's are... is that the last bus stop? Is it better to go across the river and catch the bus at the food court? What is the order of the buses?

I can completely understand the person who asked this question having concerns. While completely safe and secure, we had a not so fun experience with a connecting room at Pop Century a few years ago. There were a few little kiddos in the room next to us who thought it was FUN and HILARIOUS to open their side of the door and bang on ours. No adult correction that we could hear, and it kept happening all....week.....long. Pretty annoying!

That is unreal....

I've never requested a building before and I know it's not guaranteed. My question is which is the best non-preferred building to request? Last time we were in building 37. It was great but quite a long (but beautiful walk) to the main pool and dining. Also, how long before your trip is the best time to fax your request?

I did exactly what this site said and requested bldg 16.....I paid extra for gardenview and asked for a first floor room.....ended up with 1613 and couldn't be happier. Short walk for the morning coffee and Old man isle. Opening the door to the garden made us feel more part of the resort. The standards are on the outside facing the lots. Well worth the few dollars to upgrade. Have fun!! I sent my fax five days out during the spring break and still got everything we requested.

That would happen three times if it were my room. The third time would NOT be pleasant for anyone in the adjoining room.

I don't like using plastic water bottles, we have our reusable water bottles that follow us everywhere!! Is the water out of the taps good?

I wouldn't go so far as to say good, but it is quite drinkable, if a little chlorinated for my taste. It tastes much better cold with plenty of ice in it though. And it is far better than dehydrating in the Florida heat!

My first POR vacation starts on Wednesday! I was wondering where there is a mailbox or somewhere to send out postcards? I've got 5 nephews I hope to send some WDW love!

Yes, there's a mailbox in the main lobby. You can get stamps and postcards from the hotel shop.

Can you make microwave popcorn brought from home in the food court microwave?? Packing and was just wondering

I can't see any reason why not, the microwaves are there for guest use for whatever they need to heat up.

There were a few little kiddos in the room next to us who thought it was FUN and HILARIOUS to open their side of the door and bang on ours. No adult correction that we could hear

There would have some been adult correction fairly sharpish from me I can tell you! Followed by a sudden and alarming opening of our side of the door if it did not stop. And if all else failed, I'd get the hotel management to step in.

Is paying for a view worthwhile? I always pay for a view when staying deluxe since I utilize the balconies a lot. I did pay for a GV for POR RGR. Is the riverview worth the extra money?

Also I see the two buildings where the RGR's are... is that the last bus stop? Is it better to go across the river and catch the bus at the food court? What is the order of the buses?

I do like the River View rooms, yes - but some people who just sit inside with the blinds closed in case someone walks past the window, and if that's likely to be you then there's not much point in paying the extra. See www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Views for more thoughts on the subject.

The bus order varies, mostly by which park you are going to. The East Depot, behind the RGRs, is sometimes the third stop, sometimes the fourth. For example the MK buses usually do the outer stops first and then go on to the main building (South Depot), meaning that the East stop is definitely a good place to catch that bus. It also depends where in the building your room happens to be located as to which bus stop is closer for you.

Andre

That is unreal....

That would happen three times if it were my room. The third time would NOT be pleasant for anyone in the adjoining room.

There would have some been adult correction fairly sharpish from me I can tell you! Followed by a sudden and alarming opening of our side of the door if it did not stop. And if all else failed, I'd get the hotel management to step in.

Andre

I know!! We did call the "front desk" (which I know really isn't the front desk) and asked to switch rooms, but there was nothing else available. I don't know if they ever spoke to the family beside us, but it never really subsided :rolleyes:

Has anyone sent their kids on the pirate adventure cruise from POR? My 7 year old is very interested in doing this. I am a little wary of sending my child off on a boat without any family with him. My oldest is 15 so he is too old to go with him. So if you have done this; 1) Did your child enjoy the adventure? 2) did you feel comfortable letting them go? 3) Would you do it again?

thanks in advance.

Has anyone sent their kids on the pirate adventure cruise from POR? My 7 year old is very interested in doing this. I am a little wary of sending my child off on a boat without any family with him. My oldest is 15 so he is too old to go with him. So if you have done this; 1) Did your child enjoy the adventure? 2) did you feel comfortable letting them go? 3) Would you do it again?

thanks in advance.

I'm interested in hearing others experiences as well. My dd wants to go, she's 9, and I'm also the type of parent that doesn't let her be alone with strangers but she's excited about going.

I'm interested in hearing others experiences as well. My dd wants to go, she's 9, and I'm also the type of parent that doesn't let her be alone with strangers but she's excited about going.

My DS had an amazing time on his 1st pirate cruise at POR when he was 7. He came back with amazing stories of his adventure and lots of pirate booty...I found that I was worried for nothing...and as such, I wasted 2 precious hours to myself that would not come again soon ... Sigh :)

We just got home from a great week at Disney! I still have Dramamine brain from the flight, and will try to do a trip report in the next week, but just wanted to post a few things tonight.

We booked a River view room, and 7 days out sent a fax to request AB 2nd floor. We got that plus a corner to boot in building 38 :thumbsup2. The room was great. Nice and clean. Our mousekeeper left us towel animals three separate times. The kids LOVED them and even left her a note telling her the animals names. They hung out with their stuffed animals the whole week. Room was quiet. Only heard neighbors when they flushed the toilet, and once in a great while heard people walking by the room. Very quiet at night. Beds/pillows were reasonably comfortable.

No real problems to speak of with the buses. We were at the bus stop (sometimes North, sometimes South) pretty early every day. Usually by 7 or 7:30, last day 8:30. Never waited more than 5 minutes in the morning. The evenings heading toward/coming home from MK were a bit more crowded and iffy. We took the boat from DTD once, and a taxi once (after our Kouzinna ADR - didn't want to fight two different bus stops at 8:30pm). Magic Express was great both ways.

Food court was good, pool fun, ride lines short. We had our share of whininess because of the heat, but we did go from 40 degrees to 90 in a day:rolleyes2 Everyone who is on your way soon, hope you enjoy the resort as much as we did!

thanks in advance.

Mine haven't done the POR river cruise, but in 08 did the Albatross cruise from the BC/YC, and my then 6 year old DD LOVED it! Still talks about it when we mention WDW. Besides the CM driving the boat, there were 2 CMs for the ten or so children who were there. I would definitely send them again, if time permitted.
The reason we chose the Beach Club was because part of that adventure is getting to "sneak" into world Showcase before it opened for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter