Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter?!

So is the bus at POFQ a longer wait? since there is only one?
No, POFQ was good too- POR has internal stops so depending on where your room is and the stop you get on, you might have to ride around in the resort before it leaves for a park. At POFQ, there is one stop so when you get picked up you leave right away & go to the park
Because there are more stops at POR does not increase your ability to get to the parks (it's just so big that they can't make everyone walk to one stop because it's too far)

Last edited:
No, POFQ was good too- POR has internal stops so depending on where your room is and the stop you get on, you might have to ride around in the resort before it leaves for a park. At POFQ, there is one stop so when you get picked up you leave right away & go to the park

So they've changed the bus route? Because when we stayed at POFQ a while back, it and POR shared the same bus. When we boarded at FQ, we had to wait while it went through all the Riverside stops before leaving for the park.

So they've changed the bus route? Because when we stayed at POFQ a while back, it and POR shared the same bus. When we boarded at FQ, we had to wait while it went through all the Riverside stops before leaving for the park.
It depends on the destination park and time of day. We always had dedicated buses to MK all day and the other parks first thing in the morning from POFQ. A bus to EP at, let's say, 2PM in the afternoon would likely share with POR.

We just stayed at POFQ for 8 nights, and only during the less busy times (late afternoon) did we share a bus with POR. The vast majority of the time we had our own bus. It was GREAT!

We just stayed at POFQ for 8 nights, and only during the less busy times (late afternoon) did we share a bus with POR. The vast majority of the time we had our own bus. It was GREAT!
We have stayed at POFQ starting in 1998. The sharing of buses with POR has gotten less with each trip.Last 2 years we only shared mid day with Epcot, with MK only very early in the morning (6:45-7:15am) and one bus that came to pick up extra people at POFQ & made 1 stop at POR before going to MK. . The bus to or from DHS was seperate.
We haven't done AK the last 3 trips. The greatest transportation change is that after 4:30 or so the boat to DS is no longer shared with POR.

Our last visit (during a busier season) POFQ had its own bus for all parks, no sharing with POR. It was necessary because the busses were full every trip. A less busy time of year may have shared bussing.

I am struggling with the decision between POR and POFQ!! We are me, DH, DD12 and DD10. We have always stayed Deluxe, in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa (sometimes traveling also with my parents). On those visits, we were there for 5-8 days, got groceries and made some meals etc. We tend to be all day park goers, with sometimes an afternoon break. However, this trip is very different because we are only going for 3 nights (and 2 days in the parks) in December because we have 2 days left on our Military Salute Tickets from a trip we took in March. We have water park days left on the tickets too, but I am having a hard time imagining this would be a good time of year for that??

We are aiming to do this on a lower budget than typical, and both POR and POFQ have pretty good rates. We would not need a suite this time, and would not plan on cooking, so a room is fine. My girls love to swim, and I understand the pools at POR are better for my ages of kids, but this is a short trip, so not sure how much swimming they will do, and if they really want to pool hop from POFQ to POR, I guess that can be done if we are at POFQ. We won't need TS dining at the resort, and may not even need QS as we plan to bring granola bars etc for breakfast and have lunch and dinner at the parks.

Most frustrating about our last stay at AKL was the time it took to get via bus to and from the parks. It was crazy busy in Spring Break, but it was pretty awful. So to my reading, maybe POFQ has a little better bus situation than POR? A small resort seems appealing but we are fit and can walk if needed in a big resort. We don't spend a lot of time at the resort, most in the parks.

One plus I do see for POR is that we could get a Preferred Room which has 2 queens and a pull down bed. That would mean one kid would have their own space, which I see as an advantage over 2 queens, which is at the other POR room types (as an option) and all of POFQ rooms.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

I am struggling with the decision between POR and POFQ!! We are me, DH, DD12 and DD10. We have always stayed Deluxe, in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa (sometimes traveling also with my parents). On those visits, we were there for 5-8 days, got groceries and made some meals etc. We tend to be all day park goers, with sometimes an afternoon break. However, this trip is very different because we are only going for 3 nights (and 2 days in the parks) in December because we have 2 days left on our Military Salute Tickets from a trip we took in March. We have water park days left on the tickets too, but I am having a hard time imagining this would be a good time of year for that??

We are aiming to do this on a lower budget than typical, and both POR and POFQ have pretty good rates. We would not need a suite this time, and would not plan on cooking, so a room is fine. My girls love to swim, and I understand the pools at POR are better for my ages of kids, but this is a short trip, so not sure how much swimming they will do, and if they really want to pool hop from POFQ to POR, I guess that can be done if we are at POFQ. We won't need TS dining at the resort, and may not even need QS as we plan to bring granola bars etc for breakfast and have lunch and dinner at the parks.

Most frustrating about our last stay at AKL was the time it took to get via bus to and from the parks. It was crazy busy in Spring Break, but it was pretty awful. So to my reading, maybe POFQ has a little better bus situation than POR? A small resort seems appealing but we are fit and can walk if needed in a big resort. We don't spend a lot of time at the resort, most in the parks.

One plus I do see for POR is that we could get a Preferred Room which has 2 queens and a pull down bed. That would mean one kid would have their own space, which I see as an advantage over 2 queens, which is at the other POR room types (as an option) and all of POFQ rooms.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

I personally like French Quarter better. I have never been to either with kids, but my husband and I loved the movies they showed on the grassy area. We also just like the small layout and the theming better at FQ. The bus situation, to me, is better at FQ because there is only one stop. It's a pretty quick walk from anywhere in the resort to the bus stop.

I prefer POFQ because of the smaller size and the bus stop. Plus I just like the theme of the resort. POR is nice also but I just prefer the atmosphere. Of course if you have children that can help you decide because of the pools as people have told you.

Thank you for the great feedback! Anyone with kids prefer POFQ? I see a lot of couples prefer it, which I understand, but is it not good for kids or kid friendly (it is disney but there can be different vibes even within disney properties)?

Is it really swimming weather in mid December? We are from dallas and even here would not swim that time of year unless very heated pool and then still probably not! So I’m not sure how much weight to give the pool situation.

Thank you for the great feedback! Anyone with kids prefer POFQ? I see a lot of couples prefer it, which I understand, but is it not good for kids or kid friendly (it is disney but there can be different vibes even within disney properties)?

Is it really swimming weather in mid December? We are from dallas and even here would not swim that time of year unless very heated pool and then still probably not! So I’m not sure how much weight to give the pool situation.

My kids prefer POFQ to POR. We have been to both resorts several times and our favourite is POFQ. I love that there is just one bus stop. Makes getting to the parks and back to the resort so much faster. You don't have to wait till the bus does the loop around to 4 stops to pick up other guests before it heads to the park. POR is a really big resort and it makes for a lot of walking and after a park day, I just want to get back to the room as quick as possible, especially when the kids are half asleep. I also like POFQ because everything is so close to your room: bus stop, pool, hot tub, food court, boat dock etc. This makes getting a coffee in the morning so much more simple as I like to bring it back to the room while the kids get ready. The walk over to POR takes 10 to 15 min. and is really lovely. I figure if you want to try their food court or just take a leisurely stroll you can easily walk over there.

As for room space, the Alligator Bayou rooms at POR do offer a pull down bed that is not available in POFQ but my son thought this bed was too small for him and he ended up sleeping in the queen bed with his brother.

You can check out my pictures of POFQ in my last trip report here if you would like: http://disneymommytips.blogspot.ca . Check out Day four where my son and I woke up early and took pics around the resort.

Hope that helps

Having stayed at both resorts over the last 11 years I would choose FQ for the compact area and the single bus stop/ I would be staying there again in June except my girls talked me into the Animal Kingdom Lodge.:sunny:

I definitely suggest POR. It's my favorite resort during the non-Christmas season. Make sure you make the trek to POFW during your stay, though. The Cajun food at the food court is great, and I'll echo previous posters- the beignets are to die for, and we used to live in New Orleans! If you have gluten sensitive travelers, they can make them gluten free!

Rest assured, whichever you choose, you'll be thrilled. They're both amazing.

Thank you all so much! Your comments are very helpful! STILL can't decide, but I've got to!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter