Port Orleans Riverside or Disney's Carribean Beach Resort??

JRMOM

Earning My Ears
Hi,

My family just returned 2 weeks ago from our first ever trip to Disney. We had such a good time that we are already thinking of going again! We stayed at the All Star Movies Resort and although we don't have any major complaints about it, we thought that it would be nice to stay at a moderate resort next time. The two options that are standing out the most to us are Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort or the Carribean Beach Resort. Would love to hear opinions on each, the good and the bad!!

Thanks!

We have stayed at both. We like POR better actually POR is our favorite Mod. It is smaller than CBR and I like the theaming better as well. Plus I believe that you can use the pool at POFQ is you stay there. POR does not seem as "busy" as CBR does. One final thing that I feel makes POR better is the entertainment. Bob Jackson puts on a great show at POR about 4 or 5 nights at week at the River Roost Lounge. He is great.

Anyway I hope this helps. One more thing the only time that we stayed at CBR we had a bad experience with a cast member at the front desk. I know that if you talk to enough people you will find someone who has had the same bad experience at POR but it is just something that I remember from that trip.

I, too, am wondering about CBR vs POR. I have stayed at POFQ and liked it's small size.
However, I will be going to WDW the same time they have Pop Warner. I am worried that POR will have quite a few of the PW participants.
I was at CSR last time but didn't see any. I have read, though, that many do stay at POR.

We just returned from CBR yesterday. We had a great time, but this resort is
just way to big. We stayed in Martinique building #22 with a waterveiw room.The best part about this building was that it was close to the bus stop and Martinique is the first stop. We were somewhat disappointed with the resort
It did look a little worn, but the room was updated with new bedspreads and paint. We did see trash and several cups and even a empty liquor bottle in
the bushes. The pool was very crowded, I think the pool a riverside is bigger.
The last time we stayed at POR we loved it, and if I had it to do over I would
have stayed at POR. One plus at POR is the boats to Downtown Disney. We still
had a great time and can't wait to go back in Decmeber!

We stayed at POR in April, and our friends who went with us stayed at CBR.
They loved the beach (I guess you can see the fireworks from it?) and the food court, but aside from that had a terrible experience. Most of their issues were with housekeeping, and the buses, but they also really hated that they had to take a bus to get to the main pool and food court. (they were in a Pirate room. are they farther away?) Their experience was so bad that on the last day my friend complained, showed a manager the issues in their room they had dealt with (she was in tears at this point) and was given gift card and a partial refund on the room. I know that she thought about switching resorts at one point.
We on the other hand loved POR. It has beautiful grounds, we were in building 18 in Alligator Bayou and a short walk to the main pool (which my kids adored), the food court, laundry and a quiet pool. We had a corner room, and found that it was plenty of space for 3 adults and 2 small kids. Everyone was really friendly, we loved the boat to DTD, and we also loved Piano Bob (that was an unexpected favorite on our trip) We had our car (can't review the buses) and visited the Poly, the Contemporary,WL, CBR Pirate rooms, and stayed at ASmusic one night. Other than the Poly (if I had the money) I would choose POR over the others. It just had such a laid back friendly atmosphere that we found refreshing after a long day at the parks. (although we really thought that for the price ASmusic was really great, and if on a budget I would stay there again too)

We've stayed at both POR and CB more than once. POR is by far our favorite resort. It is smaller, not as crowded and the bus service is alot better in our opinion. Everytime we stay at CB, we have a problem with condensation in the room (dampness and steamy windows, etc). The gift shop at POR is much better than the one at CB. Everytime we stay at POR, the housekeeping is wonderful and the pools are well kept. We are about to leave in a week to go to POFQ for the first time!

Also, as one other poster said, the entertainment in the lounge is great at POR. We have small children, but I was able to sneak off as see him and he is great.

Have a great time! :)

We have stayed at both as well. I may be out numbered but I like CBR much better. I love the tropical feeling of the resort and as long as we pay for a prefered room our walk was never that bad.

We've never stayed at either. But we have visited both the POR and the CBR more than once and walked the grounds, eaten at the food courts and the table service at one (the one at POR). The reason we've not stayed at either one is we have our own moderate of choice, plus we aren't particularly keen on the theme of the POR or the CBR. However, if we had to pick, we would pick the POR--we think the food court is a hundred times better and we liked the boat ride to DTD.

Each resort has good and bad points, and if you read enough threads on these boards you'll soon have read plenty of both. :teeth:

I really want to stay at CBR sometime, I think it would be a great place to spend a vacation at WDW. I want to hang out at the newly redone main pool, and hear resorts background music. It looks like a nice place for a relaxing tropical-type trip.

I have stayed at POR and just love that resort. :lovestruc I love the food court, the main pools, the boat to DTD, and the whole atmosphere of the place. I'm a sucker for lush landscaping and POR has plenty of that!

IMO, if I had younger kids, I would definitely try out CBR because of the pool, the Nemo rooms and the new pirate rooms. With older kids, the access to DTD without that horrible bus ride is quite a bonus. ;)

Happy planning! :goodvibes

OOH this is a good thread. We stayed at the POR in April 08 and LOVED it. Even thought it was April and most resorts were booked, the resort was very quite. The usual spots were busy. Like the pool and the food court but never too many people. and I liked being able to use the POFQ pool and food court. I LOVE the Taco Salads at the POFQ food court ;) Where we were, it was a short walk over. and the buses were pretty good.

I was thinking of staying at the CBR for our next trip for the pirate rooms. Are the Pirate/Nemo rooms Further away?

Of the 2 we have only stayed at CBR. It is our favorite of the 3 moderates that we have tried. We love the spacious beautiful grounds. And even though it is a large resort it is laid out nicely and the furthest rooms from OPR (food court/restaurant/shopping/main pool) are only about a 7 minute walk. We have never booked a preferred room, just a standard and have always been under 5 minutes from OPR. We love the larger rooms, the themed rooms, the relaxing tropical feel, the hammocks by the lake, the white sand beaches, the 3 playgrounds, the quick & easy food court, & the friendly CM's. And the new pools can't be beat! The new children's pool is pirate themed and has a tipping bucket and 3 slides. The new main pool is huge and offers zero entry and 2 slides - one shorter & open and one longer & enclosed. There is a bus stop & quiet pool in every village so you are never far from either of those. And CBR is very centrally located making the bus rides to the parks & DTD very quick!

We also enjoy watching IllumiNations from CBR!

Here is my review of our stay in January (with lots of pictures) ~ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2074555

Like I said, we haven't stayed at POR yet, so I wouldn't offer up an opinion on a resort we haven't stayed at. I'm sure it is very nice and we would like to try it someday. But of the other 3 moderates - CBR, POFQ, & CSR, we much prefer CBR!

Good luck deciding, planning if half the fun of the trip! :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for your opinions!! This will be a hard decision!! I love to hear what everyone has to say!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter