Port Orleans Riverside - opinions or advice?

3girlygirls

Ready to go back to the happiest place on earth!
Since we planned such a last minute trip with 5 people it was the really our only option. The next option that would hold all of us was over $2000 more for our 5 night trip! Anyways, I don't know much about this resort other than the rooms are pretty small so I'm going to do my best to stay organized. We will be in the Alligator Bayou section - just wondering will we be walking forever to get to the buses, etc.?

TIA!

We didn't have to walk too far to get to the busses or our car, but it was pretty far to get to the lobby / food court. We packed our own food and drinks so that wasn't a big problem.

We loved POR and will definately stay there again. The resort is beautiful. The boat to Downtown was fun. Have a great trip!

We've stayed there once. I don't wish to ever go back, but as a family of 5 it may happen. It was fine, it just will never be my first choice.

We didn't use the bus system so I have no idea what kind of walk that would have been. Our car was parked right outside our room and was very convenient. The food and pool however was a very far walk. We would walk to the pool, but we drove to the food court.

we are also a family of five and love the fact that we can all stay in one room. The room in no smaller than an average hotel room, it has a seperate bathroom and sink area so multiple people can get ready at the same time. Our first stay at POR we we close to the main lobby, our last stay we were near the back but very close to a bus stop. The resort is spread out but the are are pools through out so you will be close to a pool. The atmosphere at the AB section is fantastic. Have a great trip

I love it.. it is my favorite resort. I have no complaints at all with it.

We stayed there in September and loved it. We were in building 16 and thought it was a pretty good location. Quiet pool just steps from our room and a beautiful 5 minute walk to the food court/bus stop. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

We have stayed at POR our last three trips. We love it and don't find the walk bad at all. The property is gorgeous and charming. We even take the extra "long way" sometimes just to see what hidden gems can be found.

I stayed there as a high schooler in a family of 5 and loved it and it was the resort we chose when we took our 1st child to WDW with my parents (2 rooms for that party of 5, though) and I loved it again. It is definitely a lot of walking, but I think all the Mods are, and don't have a problem with it.

Enjoy!!

The first time we took our 3 oldest kids in 2007 we stayed at POR and loved it! It is my husbands favorite resort by far.

POR is our favorite of the moderate resorts and we've tried them all. It is the next best choice to a deluxe resort. There are enough covered bus stops that it only takes a couple of minutes to walk to them from just about anywhere. It is possible to be a little far from the food court but since it is a small resort, it is still not an issue. You will find POR quiet and quaint.

We always stay 10 days and will be back this June. For the price of the top grade POR we can stay in the low end deluxe but we prefer POR.

Since you are a family of 5, the CM's will be hesitant to allow you to stay anywhere other than the AB. The only exception is if one of your party members is under 3 and uses a pack 'n' play. Still, it's not all bad news.

You have the option of calling to request a building/area/room prior to your trip. You will want to call the resort directly 7-10 days before your arrival. Confirm your reservation and make your requests then. When checking in at the main desk, be sure to remind the CM of your request. Though they cannot guarantee that your request will be granted, I understand that Disney does it's best to accomodate guest requests.

Your best bet is to request AB building #14. It is very close to the main building with the food court/lobby/etc. It is also close to the bus stop at the front of the resort. This stop is the first to pick up at POR (though it stops to pick up at FQ beforehand), so you are more likely to get seating on the bus at this stop (versus the 3 other stops around the perimeter of the resort). Building #14 is also close to the bridge to Ol' Man Island (the main pool). Since it is an AB room, it will be more quiet than the mansion rooms.

Some drawbacks of the AB rooms is that the decor tends to me more "rustic" than the mansion rooms. Still, the rooms are comparably sized when compared to mansion rooms. Additionally, there are no elevators in the AB buildings, so you may want to request a 1st floor room if you plan on lugging around a tired baby/toddler/preschooler and stroller. Again, however, Disney will only guarantee 1st floor rooms to guests with medical conditions that render them necessary (eg- guests in wheelchairs).

One last thing: if your family is celebrating something specific (someone's birthday/graduation/recovery from illness/etc)aq, be sure to mention that when making your room requests. CM's may put a little extra effort into accomodating you for a special occasion.

Hope this helps! :hippie:

POR now offers preferred rooms for a little more each night. Rooms in buildings 14,15,18 & 27 are all preferred now. You can request one to be closer to the food court & main pool, as well as the bus stop. We stayed in building 16 last time and it was great too, even though it's not a preferred room.

I absolutely LOVE the resort. We are booked there for our trip in a few weeks and I can't wait to get back. The boat ride to Down Town Disney is fun. It's like a bonus in my eyes.:lovestruc I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

We stayed at POR a few years ago as a family of 5 (the kids' godmother came with us). I was pleasantly surprised by this resort. It was very peaceful and restful after a day at the parks. Yes, you walk a ways to everything, but isn't walking a lot just part of a trip to WDW? :lmao:

A couple of tips: the trundle bed will be difficult to sleep in for anyone taller than 5'2" or so. It's comfortable -- just short. When the trundle bed is pulled out, it definitely limits the floor space. Be sure to bring a pop-up hamper or laundry bag to corral dirty clothes. If you keep the room organized, it's plenty livable for 5. Or at least it was for us, because about all we did there was shower and sleep.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter