Port Orleans: Riverside/French Quarter?

DaMalfishentQuen

Earning My Ears
My twin sister and I of 20 (21 by date of travel) will be visiting Disney for the last 2 weeks of August in 2015 and are looking to stay at one of the Port Orleans resort hotels, but which one is better?
Which one holds the most magical Disney feel and atmosphere? This is our first time to Disney World and we have dreamed our entire lives of going so we want it to be really special.
We first wanted to go to Wilderness Lodge but can't afford it.
Which one is just the overall best resort? Please be honest with your opinions and share your experiences need be :D
Thank you.

For is it is pofq purely for its small size. Everything is walkable and there is just 1 bus stop. The lack of onsite restaurant does not bother us since we always ate out (we were on ddp). The pool was nice and we loved the theme.
We did walk across to riverside and thought it looked nice but was just too big for us.
For 2 adults it may not matter if things are a longer walk.

Counting down to 14th May!

We've not stayed at Riverside but have done POFQ twice. It's a beautiful resort, the pool is really nice and we'll themed, the grounds are great for jogging, cycling or just walking around. We love the boat ride over to DTD as specially in the evening, it's a very relaxing way to end a busy day in the parks. I don't think you will be disappointed which ever resort you pick.

Another vote for POFQ - it's small size means it's a nice place to relax.

It doesn't really matter actually, you can use the ammenities of both Riverside and FQ, it's really like it's just one big resort.

Choosing between the 2 resorts could merely be summed up to choosing your theming between the new orleans style of FQ, the antebellum style of Riverside Magnolia Bend, or the Bayou atmosphere or Aligator Bayou

French quarter is a more compact resort, some like it more for that reason, but if you consider Port Orleans section by section, like Aligator Bayou vs. Magnolia Bend on the other side of the river vs. FQ, then PO is more like 3 small resort areas put together.

in the end, choose your atmosphere and theming, IMO that's what matters most when choosing between Riverside and FQ.

I prefer the theming of POR - it's the only hotel in WDW I've stayed at twice :) the POFQ theming freaked me out a bit when I was a kid so that's probably what puts me off lol.

Beautiful resort though so you won't be disappointed with either :)

Hi
Great choice of resort. We have stayed at both 3 times each , we alternate each year. In a few weeks we're off back the Riversude this year.

I travel with my 2 brother , no kids. I now prefer the French Quarter as it's smaller , easy to get round but just a few minutes stroll along a path to the Riverside.
My brothers both prefer the Riverside for it's look , larger store and larger dining hall.

As they are so close to each other you can easily go to and fro and eat and shop in which ever you prefer but personally i do like the FQ that little bit better.

The boat in the evening to Downtown Disney i believe is a bit easier if you join at Riverside. We found last year waiting in FQ we had a few boats that were already full by the time it got to our stop with so many joining it at Riverside. Just a tip , if staying at FQ and you want the boat a wander up to Riversude might be a good idea :)

Which ever one you decide on you are sure to have a Magical stay there :thumbsup2

We were there in May and every boat for DTD left Riverside with at least 14 spaces for GUESTS at POFQ. They would count them on at Riverside and include those lazy people like us only taking it to FQ to leave room for the FQ guests.

Just noticed I had used capitals for guests did mean to, stupid phone when I tried to correct a spelling error, sorry.

Another error in my apology 'I didn't mean to' is what I was trying to say and now I'm going to quit while the going is good!

POFQ for us :)

POFQ is very compact and for that reason I think it's fab for a first visit! It's a really pretty resort with great theming, plus the pool is nice and big. I haven't stayed at POR so I can't comment, however I don't think you can go wrong with either. Have a great trip!

I have stayed at both multiple times. When my children were under 10 I preferred POFQ simply because it is small. However, overall I much prefer POR and that includes out of the deluxe hotels we have stayed at too. It is the most beautiful resort on property IMHO. The food court is bigger than POFQ, the pool is bigger and there are also three quiet pools (none at FQ), the shop is bigger and better and you can't beat a night in the bar with Ye Haw Bob!!!! It is a huge resort though so I always book a preferred location room to be near the main facilities and the main bus stop. Oh, POR also has a decent on site restaurant. It has two sides, rustic and mansions but the buildings are just shells. The rooms are the same sizes and have the same facilities if differently themed. There are also Princess themed rooms on the mansions side but I think they are a rip off personally. My one gripe is they took away the option to hire boats on the lake at POR which my kids loved. You can still hire Surrey bikes there though and go fishing. The boat to DTD is a great perk to both resorts.

I really like the amenities at Riverside, there are nice little extras.
There's a really good atmosphere at the bar at Riverside and they have performers in the evening which is a good way to unwind after a long park day.

You can easily get between the two resorts, walking or by the riverboats.

I really enjoyed staying at Riverside last year, it had the Disney magic for me! :)

I prefer riverside - but when I was 21 I would have probably liked how easy getting back to my room from DTD would have been at the french quater. Just a quick point we have been trying to book our kids 21,21,18 & 17 into universal but as none of them have credit cards we have been unable to book. So it may be worth checking that out for disney. Have a great time.

Me and my partner will be going to Disney for the first time this September! The deluxe resorts where a bit out of our price range and to me port orleans looks like a deluxe resort anyway! The theming looks beautiful!
I did originally plan to book riverside but a few months afterwards when casually looking through my invoice I realised I accidentally booked French Quater instead!! :confused3
By then riverside was booked up for our dates so was impossible to switch.

I've not worried about it to much though as I have know read good things for FQ so maybe it was fate that I booked FQ! We shall see lol

We absolutely LOVE POFQ!!!!

One of the big differences, if you're relying on Disney transport, is the one bus stop instead of four. You get on the bus and go to the park, no stopping at three other stops before you can get going. Yes, occasionally the resorts will share buses. But we were there for a full week the end of August and only had to stop at POR one time. That was going to DHS in the middle of the day. After making that whole loop, I swore I'd never do that every single time I left the resort. I've since read that even a lot of the Deluxe hotels share buses. And the other moderates all have multiple stops as well. I guess I was really spoiled with POFQ!

And you can walk over and use all the pools and other amenities at POR if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter