Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre - tons of info from my source; no time to post. We are leaving tomorrow.

I will post Monday when I get back to work.

<Anxiously looks at watch> C'mon, stop slacking and having a lie-in, relaxing with a nice cup of coffee, catching up with colleagues - get yourself in to work early and onto that PC! :) :) :)

... in short, we can't wait to hear your news! :)

(By the way, if you've got any nice photos that you wouldn't mind me hosting on portorleans.org, please let me know and I'll give you an FTP link to upload them to)

Andre

Andre, for so long, I have wished I could see a pic of each mansion building and know the name of it. I am familiar with AB but when I see a pic of a mansion building, I have no idea which building it is. :confused3 If you had the time or inclination, I would love to see one pic with a name label for each mansion.

Your wish, as they say, is my command...

http://www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php

Andre

Another holiday photo. This from the lobby looking up.

XmasLookingUp.jpg

We are so excited....we just booked our vacation last night for August 5-10,2012!!:cool1:
We usually go in May,but our DS started kindergarten this year,so we had to go a bit later. We cannot wait to be back at our absolute favorite resort!!:cloud9:

For those of you that got a refurbed room, did you check in online? Or did you wait til you got to the resort and check in early? We can do either one and just want the best strategy for it. Thank you in advance.

Personally I don't think it matters. I had requested a refurbished room in the mansions for September. We checked in on a Saturday morning around 11am and I had done online check-in because I was concerned it would be a busy check-in time. Our room assigned to us a was a room in AB, not refurbished. After a conversation with the CM, I drew the conclusion it was their priority to get online check-in people into rooms that would be ready rather than rooms that met their requests. The AB room assigned to me was in fact ready when I got there. I politely asked to be switched to a refurbished room in the mansions if available, and it was no problem. Got a lovely refurbished room in Acadian House. However, I did have to wait another two hours before my room was ready. I probably wouldn't do online check-in again if I had room requests, so it will be easier for the CM to switch me around to grant my request if needed.

For those of you that got a refurbed room, did you check in online? Or did you wait til you got to the resort and check in early? We can do either one and just want the best strategy for it. Thank you in advance.

The question has been asked a hundred times and most likely will be asked a hundred more. The answer is always the same.

Online check-in has absolutely nothing to do with requests. Requests are on your reservation and are sorted by the computer when they are rolled over to the resort.

Requests being met have to do with availability at the resort, maintenance issues, refurbishments, overbookings at other resorts, etc.

Online check-in is just a convenience for those who want to bypass talking to the cast member and just pick up their package and go.

<Anxiously looks at watch> C'mon, stop slacking and having a lie-in, relaxing with a nice cup of coffee, catching up with colleagues - get yourself in to work early and onto that PC! :) :) :)

... in short, we can't wait to hear your news! :)

(By the way, if you've got any nice photos that you wouldn't mind me hosting on portorleans.org, please let me know and I'll give you an FTP link to upload them to)

Andre

Soooo.... I slept all day yesterday and work has been a nightmare from the minute I arrived.

So, the buildings have been wired for wifi and it will be activated sometime in late January.

They are adding a 100 channel tv line-up package, including a lot of sports events. First in the lounges and then in the rooms.

And, this is totally conjecture as to the outcome but the rumblings are there. POR may be anxious to get out of its contract with Pop Warner. They were extremely relieved that it was moved over to CBR this year. He emphasized the word "extremely". No one called out for the week and things were so normal on Saturday when we left, it was awesome. With AoA opening next year, someone may be looking at hard at offering that for Pop Warner, because of family sizes, but it begs the question, would they offer a value and a value with moderate prices???? My source was not totally convinced they can get out of the last few years; but he is convinced they want out of it as soon as possible.

There was also POR resort Christmas pins this year, so there is some minimal resort specific stuff. However, most of it was generic.

Sorry, I was doing a lot of babysitting and didn't have time to take pics this year. Didn't even get a chance to take ones of the room.

I was in 8085 (Acadian House) and the companions were in a connecting room as requested in 8086. I got the corner room. I had a few mishaps; mid-week the handle on the toilet snapped off and the fastener fell into the tank. Also, my side on the shower had hot water until you nearly turned it completely around, while my companions had no hot water until you completely turned it around. Also, the exhaust fan clicked (almost sounded like dripping water) every time someone either next to me or above me turned on their fan. Too funny.

We were facing the parking lot, but it turned out great, because we had two smokers. Also the south depot was used by them to come back directly to the pool after the parks. Of course, I did my stop at the lounge to see Yee-hah Bob each night - his Christmas show this year is the best ever. The interaction was great; he has not lost his touch with the crowd. He had people doing things I never thought they would do - the 12 days of Christmas comes to mind - 10 lords a leaping. Need I say more.

That's about it for the moment, time to go home. I am still tired and my feet are still somewhat numb. Eight days is enough.

Only 356 days to go till next time!

So, the buildings have been wired for wifi and it will be activated sometime in late January.

They are adding a 100 channel tv line-up package, including a lot of sports events. First in the lounges and then in the rooms.

Thanks for the updates. Great to hear they are moving ahead so quickly with the wi-fi, I've known it was in the planning stages for some time, but really thought it might take a bit longer to be honest.

So how did the trip go otherwise, did the 'suprise' go down well? Shame about no more photos, but enjoying your time with your friends comes first of course.

Andre

Soooo.... I slept all day yesterday and work has been a nightmare from the minute I arrived.

And, this is totally conjecture as to the outcome but the rumblings are there. POR may be anxious to get out of its contract with Pop Warner. They were extremely relieved that it was moved over to CBR this year. He emphasized the word "extremely". No one called out for the week and things were so normal on Saturday when we left, it was awesome. With AoA opening next year, someone may be looking at hard at offering that for Pop Warner, because of family sizes, but it begs the question, would they offer a value and a value with moderate prices???? My source was not totally convinced they can get out of the last few years; but he is convinced they want out of it as soon as possible.

There was also POR resort Christmas pins this year, so there is some minimal resort specific stuff. However, most of it was generic.

Sorry, I was doing a lot of babysitting and didn't have time to take pics this year. Didn't even get a chance to take ones of the room.

I was in 8085 (Acadian House) and the companions were in a connecting room as requested in 8086. I got the corner room. I had a few mishaps; mid-week the handle on the toilet snapped off and the fastener fell into the tank. Also, my side on the shower had hot water until you nearly turned it completely around, while my companions had no hot water until you completely turned it around. Also, the exhaust fan clicked (almost sounded like dripping water) every time someone either next to me or above me turned on their fan. Too funny.

We were facing the parking lot, but it turned out great, because we had two smokers. Also the south depot was used by them to come back directly to the pool after the parks. Of course, I did my stop at the lounge to see Yee-hah Bob each night - his Christmas show this year is the best ever. The interaction was great; he has not lost his touch with the crowd. He had people doing things I never thought they would do - the 12 days of Christmas comes to mind - 10 lords a leaping. Need I say more.

That's about it for the moment, time to go home. I am still tired and my feet are still somewhat numb. Eight days is enough.

GREAT info. Thanks so much for the new information. On the wi-fi, will there be a charge for it? I'm very excited by this!

Did you request a corner room or did it just happen that way?

Glad you had a great trip. Was it a wonderful surprise for your friends?

Mansions of Glory
IMG_1346-1.jpg

I have seen this, very nice though.

Hey Andre, best guess, what's the completition looking like for oak building princess refurb? I realize it's best guess, but was wondering what you thought based on the ahead schedule progress.

I'm so glad you came home with all this great info but you're not getting off that easy! What about the surprise??!! popcorn::

I have seen this, very nice though.

Hey Andre, best guess, what's the completition looking like for oak building princess refurb? I realize it's best guess, but was wondering what you thought based on the ahead schedule progress.

I have about five different shots that vary very little as I was trying to catch the light on the water. I thought I might have posted one before. I decided to error on the side of too much is not enough. :lmao:

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter