Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1561.jpg

Can't wait to eat there and sit by the big water wheel! Although I've heard horror stories about how crowded it gets at Riverside Mill, specifically during breakfast. Are these like the bus horror stories I hear about - exaggerated for the most part?

Another great pic! I can't believe I never noticed this- given how big it is :laughing: Now when I go I'm going to make a point of looking at it :goodvibes

We leave tomorrow for Seattle to catch our flights to Florida :yay: Staying in other parts of Florida visiting family & friends, then on 8/20 checking into POR for 7 nights, and then 5 nights at BC :banana::banana: I can't believe it's hear. Luggage packed - or overpacked I should say :laughing: I'm hopeless!
If no body posts anything about renos, I'll be sure to when we arrive. Hope we get a new room. :woohoo:

Another great pic! I can't believe I never noticed this- given how big it is :laughing: Now when I go I'm going to make a point of looking at it :goodvibes

We leave tomorrow for Seattle to catch our flights to Florida :yay: Staying in other parts of Florida visiting family & friends, then on 8/20 checking into POR for 7 nights, and then 5 nights at BC :banana::banana: I can't believe it's hear. Luggage packed - or overpacked I should say :laughing: I'm hopeless!
If no body posts anything about renos, I'll be sure to when we arrive. Hope we get a new room. :woohoo:

Thanks Sue. Have the BEST vacation ever! Safe travels to you.

We'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside for the first time this November (this is my 15th trip and I'm generally a repeat guest of Caribbean Beach & the value resorts) and I'm already in love!! Do any of the Port Orleans veterans have any advice for us newbies?

We are going at the end of September (9/29 - 10/8), and it's the three of us (myself, DW, and DD whose 3 1/2).

Wow, they are the exact same dates as us!! :banana: We moved our holiday two days forward to get free dining :rotfl2: It's our first time to POR and to WDW. On September 29 we will be arriving early evening after a marathon of flying: Wellington/Auckland/Los Angeles/Orlando! We will be so relieved to get there :cheer2:

I've heard horror stories about how crowded it gets at Riverside Mill, specifically during breakfast. Are these like the bus horror stories I hear about - exaggerated for the most part?

The bus stories do vary a lot by personal experience, but for the most part they are not a major issue outside of peak park-exiting time (e.g. after fireworks shows, at which time all bets are off!).

The food court stories, however, are fairly consistently true: if you want breakfast between around 8.30am and 10am, you can pretty much expect a mass of people at the counters, and snaking lines waiting to pay. Splitting up and one person the getting food while the other joins the payment line helps. Lunchtime is generally quiet, and evening meal times are more spread out so it doesn't usually get as busy as breakfast time.

Andre

The bus stories do vary a lot by personal experience, but for the most part they are not a major issue outside of peak park-exiting time (e.g. after fireworks shows, at which time all bets are off!).

The food court stories, however, are fairly consistently true: if you want breakfast between around 8.30am and 10am, you can pretty much expect a mass of people at the counters, and snaking lines waiting to pay. Splitting up and one person the getting food while the other joins the payment line helps. Lunchtime is generally quiet, and evening meal times are more spread out so it doesn't usually get as busy as breakfast time.

Andre

I agree with this plan. I even have another person scouting like a hawk for a table to sit at. Last year I was like sitting on a perch several times, waiting like a vulture for people to look like they were getting up. Then I'd move in for the kill lol. You laugh but there is other people doing the same, and some don't even speak English so you can't even say anything if they steal the table lol. Once your sitting down have others do the drink run and watch out when you get done. People will vulture you also. All other meals were definitly something I can work with.

Also I dont know who all you fly with, but I just learned airtran will be canceling service to my airport since southwest owns them. Ohh and no southwest won't replace them at the airport they are stopping there alltogether. So I don't know who I will use budget airline wise now. Surely won't be delta or us airways. I will miss them because they were always a way to save some money towards the Disney trips.:confused3

Can't wait to eat there and sit by the big water wheel! Although I've heard horror stories about how crowded it gets at Riverside Mill, specifically during breakfast. Are these like the bus horror stories I hear about - exaggerated for the most part?

we have stayed at POR at least 2x... both times w/large groups and had many a meal (b'fast/lunch/dinner) at the food court... we *never* had a problem getting a table outside (maybe 'cause it was august?) and rarely had a hard time finding one inside... we didn't always find a table for 10 or 15 as we would have liked, and yes, some of the lines tend to get long and look imposing but they move quickly and it's no worse than any other WDW food court i've visited and better than a few!

we have also used the buses extensively... we may have had a few "long-ish" waits some mornings going to a popular park at a popular time, and one night had a crazy long wait coming home from a park... but other than those scattered episodes, bus service was fine also!

if i had to compare it to another resort, i would say Pop's food court/bus service was better and CBR's much worse!

I've stayed in Oak Manor and loved it. I don't think you will be disappointed. Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace should be done with renovations by Columbus Day weekend though, if a renovated room might be more of interest to you. Also, did you book a King room or request it? I don't know if you'd get one with just a request since they are their own booking category. The good news is if it's available, you can pay the upcharge and book a King room where you will be guaranteed one.

Thanks Kereina! I booked a king room, but I'm debating whether I should have booked a river view or possibly a corner room. I'm not sure if the refurb will be done by the time I get down there. I hope it is!

Has anyone heard of any other promos for October yet? I've seen the free dining one, but I have no interest for it, especially during the F&W festival. Thanks!

Thanks Kereina! I booked a king room, but I'm debating whether I should have booked a river view or possibly a corner room. I'm not sure if the refurb will be done by the time I get down there. I hope it is!

Has anyone heard of any other promos for October yet? I've seen the free dining one, but I have no interest for it, especially during the F&W festival. Thanks!

If they are staying true to the tentative refurb schedule, Acadian House should actually be done with the refurb by now or at least in the coming days, with Magnolia Terrace starting in the coming days as well. Keep checking this thread for updates, I know there are several people on here including myself searching for confirmation of this. If that's the case still, Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace will be done by then - I'll be there 9/24-10/1 and have requested a refurbished room so I'll see how it goes!

The free dining promo is the only one I have seen also. I think any other promos may black out Columbus Day weekend since its a busier weekend that month. You can usually use snack credits at F&W but depending on how much you'll be there, might not be worth it. Keep your eyes peeled for promos though!

What's more important to you? Closer to the main building or getting a refurbed room farther away? I requested "close to main building" but now thinking IF Acadian house is done when we get there that I will request that.

We'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside for the first time this November (this is my 15th trip and I'm generally a repeat guest of Caribbean Beach & the value resorts) and I'm already in love!! Do any of the Port Orleans veterans have any advice for us newbies?

Make sure you budget some time just to take in the resort itself. Whether you are hanging by the pool (or pool bar) at Old Man Island, or walk the grounds and architecture, or have a nice meal at Boatwright's, or relaxing in the River Roost Lounge after a long day of walking around.

AND... If what I read on another thread comes to pass, and Disney start putting out resort specific merch again, make sure to check out Fultan's General Store.

I am soooooo envious! I don't leave for FL till August 17th. A couple of nights on the beach and then checking in at POR on August 19th for 10 nights.....hopefully a room by the river in Oak Manor. See you there!

Boatwrights. I've seen so many mixed reviews, figured I'd come to the lovers of POR like myself. We have never eaten there. But, we have an early park night one night & was thinking about making a late dinner ADR here.
Opinions? Or would I be better off taking the boat over to DTD for dinner instead? I looked at the menu at AllEars & was very....unsure. :confused3

Make sure you budget some time just to take in the resort itself. Whether you are hanging by the pool (or pool bar) at Old Man Island, or walk the grounds and architecture, or have a nice meal at Boatwright's, or relaxing in the River Roost Lounge after a long day of walking around.

AND... If what I read on another thread comes to pass, and Disney start putting out resort specific merch again, make sure to check out Fultan's General Store.

Please link me to this thread now that you have raised my hopes so expertly!!

Looks like there will be a bunch of us at POR around August 20. Really wondering what is going on in terms of the rehab. I really thought someone would have been there before us to check it out? Anyone :confused3

Oh well, I guess it will be up to the rest of us to snoop around once we arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter