• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Two --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got here on Saturday. We drove overnight from WV and arrived at about 7 am. We ate breakfast at a Perkins and then attempted to check-in just after 8 AM into a Royal Room. Guess what? They had a room available!!! It's beautiful here. I am watching the movie "Up" with my little one right now as I type. They have a projector in a courtyard in oak manor. It's lovely. The pool is nice, even though the kids only got to swim for about 15 minutes before a thunderstorm.

Andre, all the info you've shared has been so helpful in us figuring out what we are doing. Thank you!!!

That sounds wonderful and very relaxing. Have a great trip!

I haven't stayed at POR yet, but from what I have read, and from my own experiences at resorts around the world, ground floor if situated in a more accessible area may have much more traffic - people getting to and from where they need to go - I have requested the next floor up, there are elevators so no stairs to contend with (my mum is in a mobility chair) and psychologically you may feel more comfortable regards critters of the legless kind ;)

After reading about the lizard in the makeup case, I think you may be right :eek: thanks :goodvibes

I believe that snakes in the rooms are very rare but with my fear of them I prefer the top floor. Ive only stayed on the second floor and did not have any issues with noise coming from above me but I would think that the top floor would have even less of a chance of noise from the floor above you ie the bouncing of a basketball. I also think the view from the top floor would be a nicer view.

Thanks for the great ideas :thumbsup2

All of the rooms are exactly the same size (apart from a few of the wheelchair accessible rooms which have been slightly extended near the entrance door). Not sure how the map implies otherwise, it's of whole buildings not rooms.

By the way, one other advantage of top floor rooms is the lack of any possible noise through the ceiling from people in the room above.

Andre

I think it's just the scale of the maps on the website showing the various mansions with room numbers, I got to thinking about it and realized the rooms must be the same :laughing: I think your comments about the top floors has me convensed to request - thanks so much!

We are staying at Riverside in September for the first time and we are interested in taking a carriage ride. I am wondering if it is possible that there will be same day availability. Do we really need reservations? We have two little ones and prefer to keep our schedule flexible as it is difficult to know in June what the moods of our kids will be at a specific time and day in September. :confused: (I was already unhappy to have to make ADR's so far ahead of time as we don't always eat at the same time.)

Also, at the risk of sounding silly and sentimental, does anyone know about the care and treatment of the horses there? I have always refused to take carriage rides in NYC because the sight of those horses weaving in and out of traffic makes me really depressed.

Thanks.

:welcome: Saw this is your first post!

As far as the ADR's so far ahead of time, I think it helps to plan them as near to when the children normally eat at home, that is, if you decide to make dining reservations. With free dining in Sept. you don't want to try to "wing it" in finding a place to eat if you really want to experience some of the table service restarants. Plus there's nothing worse than everyone being hungry and tired and having to "hunt" for a place to eat &/or sit if doing CS's - JMHO.

I don't think it's silly at all to be concerned for the horse, I applaud your concern :hug: All I know about the carriage rides is what Andre posted on his website & hopefully I typed it in correctly: http://www.portorleans.org but look under the section about recreation and you can see a lovely picture of the horse & carriage. The rides are 25 minutes with a 5 minute break inbetween but there are NO rides from 7-7:30 to give the horse a longer rest. Clearly there will be no traffic as you noted in NYC, the path will be along the walking paths of POR. I could be wrong but I can't imagine disney being anything but humane to its animals, especially when you consider the extra care and vet facilities at the AK.

I called 407-WDW-PLAY and booked us a reservation for our last night of our trip to enjoy after dining at Boatwrights - kinda a way to force us to slow down and relax our last night :laughing: & a nice way to be sure to see all the POR grounds incase we're too pooped to do anymore walking by the end of our trip :rolleyes1

My reservation was about 60+ days away but I was able to get my first choice of time. They told me on the phone not too many people seem to be aware of booking the carriage rides in advance so you may have luck getting one on a whim. However, you can always cancel up to 24 hours in advance and not be charged if you really want to do this, and if so, I'd suggest you book a reservation.

Good luck deciding.

ANd thank you Andre for having this info available to know about - although the last night is always sad, it will still be a very special way to complete our last night at WDW and POR :goodvibes

That was the case up to the start of this year, but after the recent re-categorisation (when they added the Garden View option) if you now book a Water View room you should get a swimming pool view, no longer facing a fountain or the odd puddle. Water View rooms can be located anywhere in Alligator Bayou (including in building 18) or in the Acadian House/Magnolia Terrace mansion buildings. See www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php for more details.

Andre

When we checked in early March of this year I was warned by the CM at the front desk that the water view could be a pool or fountain, but didnt mention puddle lol. Most likely then she may have just been telling me what it was in prior years and not with the new categories then. I ended up down grading once we got there so didnt get to see what our water view would have been. We checked in at 7:00am and all they had ready at that point was a garden view so I took that instead of having to wait until later in the day for a water view.

I've been to-ing and fro-ing over the last few days whether I've made the right decision to choose POR for our potential trip next year and everytime I read this thread I feel reassured! :goodvibes

Anyway, as there are only 2 of us I'm considering booking a King Bed. Any advantages/disadvantages of this? And is there more King Beds in AB or the Mansions, or is it equally split? I've read from Andre's site that they can be found all over the resort but we really prefer the look of the Mansions and don't want to lower our chances of that if there's more King Beds located in AB.

Me and my fiance will be spending our honeymoon here in October! I am so excited! Upon calling and making reservations they asked us if we would like a royal guest room. Then they also asked us if we wanted a king bed. From all the research I've done I've never seen a Royal Guest Room with a king bed. Do they have them or when we arrive will we be put in one or the other?

I've been to-ing and fro-ing over the last few days whether I've made the right decision to choose POR for our potential trip next year and everytime I read this thread I feel reassured! :goodvibes

Anyway, as there are only 2 of us I'm considering booking a King Bed. Any advantages/disadvantages of this? And is there more King Beds in AB or the Mansions, or is it equally split? I've read from Andre's site that they can be found all over the resort but we really prefer the look of the Mansions and don't want to lower our chances of that if there's more King Beds located in AB.

The reason I would be more willing to book the mansions over AB is if they have more storage space. AB rooms have very little space for clothes. If your not one to "unpack" it may not matter.

Anyone know how often the boat leaves to and returns from DTD?

From 11 am to 4 pm, they run every twenty minutes.

From 4 pm to 11 pm, they run every ten minutes.

They run POR, POFQ, DTD, POFQ, and POR. The last water taxi at 11 pm LEAVES DTD and stops for the night at the marina at POR.

Thought I'd post a link from another part of the DIS boards to this wonderful story about the POR staff :goodvibes http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2941710

I would love to add my story about the POR staff at the lounge. Todd, John, and Holly rock!

I go solo and I head to the lounge each evening. A few years ago, Todd just relocated to POR from another resort. We quickly hit it off. He remember my order every night; Iced tea and chardonnay. Odd combination, I know.

At the end of my stay, he gave me a hair clip-on of the lighted Tinkerbell. I cried like a little girl.

A year later, I arrive and ask for Iced Tea and Chardonnay and he remembered me right away; the lady that cried on my last day. When I was leaving, the last night, he gave me another clip-on, of Buzz Lightyear, and said it was so I could always find my way home to POR. Gosh, more tears.

I can only imagine what he has in store for me this year.

From 11 am to 4 pm, they run every twenty minutes.

From 4 pm to 11 pm, they run every ten minutes.

They run POR, POFQ, DTD, POFQ, and POR. The last water taxi at 11 pm LEAVES DTD and stops for the night at the marina at POR.

Awesome... thanks.

I mostly travel solo and have gotten king beds three times. All three I have been in were corner rooms, so the feel is a bit bigger (two windows).

I would request just "mansions", don't specify a building, although now with the RR's, there are only two buildings left.

I just switched my reservation from garden view to preferred. We are a family of 5 so we would be in the AB anyway. I did this to prevent being way out from the main building. But now, I just realized I might have given up my "garden view" and get stuck with a parking lot view! From looking on the map, it appears that 15 is the only preferred building that would have a parking lot view? Could I request "not building 15" if that is the case? Also, is it possible to get a river view if you have booked preferred?
I am also wondering about the corner rooms. Are they the king rooms or do some of the corner rooms have the queens?

Does anyone have any great room locations they have had in the preferred section?

Thanks! I can't wait to get back to POR in November:):)

I just switched my reservation from garden view to preferred. We are a family of 5 so we would be in the AB anyway. I did this to prevent being way out from the main building. But now, I just realized I might have given up my "garden view" and get stuck with a parking lot view! From looking on the map, it appears that 15 is the only preferred building that would have a parking lot view? Could I request "not building 15" if that is the case? Also, is it possible to get a river view if you have booked preferred?
I am also wondering about the corner rooms. Are they the king rooms or do some of the corner rooms have the queens?

Does anyone have any great room locations they have had in the preferred section?

Thanks! I can't wait to get back to POR in November:):)

I would love some recommendations as well as we have a preferred room booked for October. I was thinking of requesting Building 18 near the quiet pool. Not sure if that is a good location/good request. Any input would be helfpul. Thanks!

Anyway, as there are only 2 of us I'm considering booking a King Bed. Any advantages/disadvantages of this? And is there more King Beds in AB or the Mansions, or is it equally split?

Don't worry, there are plenty of King Bed rooms in the mansion buildings. As for the benefits... well, you get a bigger bed... what you decide to do with that benefit is kinda up to you I guess... :rolleyes1

Upon calling and making reservations they asked us if we would like a royal guest room. Then they also asked us if we wanted a king bed. From all the research I've done I've never seen a Royal Guest Room with a king bed.

No, sorry, there are no King Beds in the Royal Guest Rooms at all, so no booking categories which can give you that option (whatever the reservations folks say). It's either/or I'm afraid.

Andre

I saw the great post that mentioned bed rails would fit on the murphy bed, but I wondered, does Disney provide bed rails or do you bring your own? Does anyone think a chair or two against it would work? I apologize if this was asked before. TIA:thumbsup2

I would love to add my story about the POR staff at the lounge. Todd, John, and Holly rock!

I go solo and I head to the lounge each evening. A few years ago, Todd just relocated to POR from another resort. We quickly hit it off. He remember my order every night; Iced tea and chardonnay. Odd combination, I know.

At the end of my stay, he gave me a hair clip-on of the lighted Tinkerbell. I cried like a little girl.

A year later, I arrive and ask for Iced Tea and Chardonnay and he remembered me right away; the lady that cried on my last day. When I was leaving, the last night, he gave me another clip-on, of Buzz Lightyear, and said it was so I could always find my way home to POR. Gosh, more tears.

I can only imagine what he has in store for me this year.

Thanks for sharing that Missytara :goodvibes

We went to Boatwrights for dinner last night. It was very good. We had an excellent server named Chris. The kids didn't like their child's pasta with meat sauce, I was afraid they wouldn't so I started sharing my dinner with the girls and when he came back to the table he asked if they didn't like their dinner. I told him they didn't and I was sharing mine with them. He came back with mac n cheese. That was so thoughtful and I got to eat my entire dinner. What a way to start off the week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter