• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach

Which resort would you recommend?

• Port Orleans

• Caribbean Beach

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoonToBeMrs

Mouseketeer
Hi I'm looking for opinions. I am planning my DFTW and Disneymoon and trying to decide which resort we should stay at. Right now we have a reservation at the new Art of Animation Resort, but thinking about upgrading to a moderate resort. So, which do you think is a better resort to go to as a couple? Port Orleans - Riverside or the Caribbean Beach Resort? Any opinions would be great. Thanks :wave2:

I'd vote for CBR- I think the theming of the whole resort is so much more romantic than POR. But since they only have double beds in the standard rooms, pay the upcharge for a king bed room.

I think they can both be romantic but it depends upon what would feel more romantic to you. A tropical theme with lots of great colors and atmosphere or a laid back, southern kind of feel. We have stayed at POr twice and absolutely love it. Very grown up feeling resort, quite peaceful. Well, except for the food court at breakfast! But every resort is like that. POR has beautiful landscaping and walking around the resort is very enjoyable. There are places to just sit, such as gazebos, rocking chairs outside the main building and a few hammocks.

I'd go with POR. We fin the resort to be much more romantic a outlined by previous poster. In addition to everything said about decor etc you also have the option of seeing good entertainers in both the POR lounge as well as POFQ. My wife and I did the horse carriage ride around both resorts and it was very romantic.

I second minniemum's statements. CBR is our favorite moderate because of it's relaxed tropical feel. We have been there when it's at capacity and it never felt like it. Some complain it's "too big" but to us that is one of it's benefits as you don't feel like you're on top of others. The grounds are beautiful and we love walking the beaches and the path around the lake. Grabbing a drink and watching the higher fireworks of Illuminations from the beach of Martinique or OPR.

Hi I'm looking for opinions. I am planning my DFTW and Disneymoon and trying to decide which resort we should stay at. Right now we have a reservation at the new Art of Animation Resort, but thinking about upgrading to a moderate resort. So, which do you think is a better resort to go to as a couple? Port Orleans - Riverside or the Caribbean Beach Resort? Any opinions would be great. Thanks :wave2:

POR is where we spent our anniversary. Gorgeous grounds and very pretty mansion area. We stayed as a family at CBR, so I have been to both. Handsdown POR for a couple.

SoonToBeMrs said:

For your honey moon, I'd go with POR. I've stayed at all mods and I like each for different reasons. My kid love Carribean beach and the pirate pool and rooms but I love POR for its quaint and more relaxed beauty! IMHO

I vote for POR. Stayed there with my boyfriend in early February and the setting was so beautiful. I would definitely say it's more romantic and has a more adult feel. Plus they have the carriage rides! It's quiet (in my experience), they have plenty of quiet pools, and overall the theming feels more relaxed and adult. I personally don't get why people like CBR, I know everyone has different tastes but it doesn't appeal to me much. Maybe I have been to too many actual caribbean beach resorts!! I think POR is the best mod for an adults-only trip (or POFQ).

My daughter and her husband honeymooned at CBR and loved it. They loved the tropical landscaping and beautiful colors. She said their favorite part was lying in the hammocks on the white, sandy beaches overlooking the CBR lake.

as you can see already, you will get opinions that CBR or PO is better and for the exact same reasons the difference is based on personal experience and preference.
our experience was:
CBR is our favorite moderate: clean, bright and tropical. often had quiet pool to selves, more romantic (btw, we have stayed at multiple "real" carribean resorts:))

POR is our least favorite mod - too dark, busier, pool and common areas often LOUD:scared: just felt more like a hotel, rather than a resort

btw, AoA, as well as any value, tends to be busier, louder and less "romantic".
have you considered pricing out WL? very quiet and romantic, and often has great deals.

again, just our experience :)

Just upgraded from AOA to POR myself. Theming at AOA is cool but the tradeoffs from a Moderate were not really that great in my opinion. (Only cost me $450 difference, too) Never stayed at CBR, but I can speak to POR. Beautiful lush landscaping in the Bayou and manicured perfection at the Mansions. There's a relaxed feel to the resort that I really liked. The food court is busy during peak times but had a great selection.

As a side note: While I'm not one for Southwest theming, CSR has these great hammocks. and laying on them under the stars is about one of the most romantic things to do at WDW. (We were NOT newlyweds when we did it and had two small children sharing our hammock but still it was magical.)

I know it was not one of your options but since honeymoon you might want to try CSR new business class. On CSR page there are pictures posted. You can book a king bed , get free breakfast and 5-10pm complimentary beer, wine and snacks. The building location is awesome too. The hot tub is very large at this resort as well :) Really all of the mods are awesome. Look at lots of pics and see what appeals to you. One big q would be lake or river?

Trish

I think both cbr and POR are lovely. Each one has it's own sets of fans so I would look at videos on you tube and choose whichever resort appeals to you all the most. There is no wrong choice. But I will agree with a PP, iwould choose CSR over both for an adults trip. To us, it was the most "adult" resort. We prefer cbr and POR for trips now with a preference to cbr but it is because we have small children. We stayed recently in CSR and felt it was not as young child oriented (although we really liked it). There were less children and it was less chaotic. Just another option for you. Happy planning.

You might want to take in to account how big Carribean Beach is too, and it was very loud & busy when we stayed there. I found our stay at POR to be much more relaxed and found the theming to be southern plantation, Gone with the Wind kinda romantic. However being I was traveling with my Mom & 6 year old daughter we were not really looking for romance:lmao:
This year I am staying at AoA, and while that looks to be loud & in your face Disney it is perfect for traveling with my now 10 year old daughter, my hubby, and what will be our 1 year old son. :cool1:
I can see how it would not be what you are looking for on a honeymoon. I agree with the poster that mentioned Wilderness Lodge....I love that place and I think it would be super romantic.
Of course anywhere you stay can be romantic....:hug:

My vote is with POR! We did POR as a family of 5, then last year, DH and I decided to go as a couple for our 20th anniversary. We took advantage of the opportunity to try a different resort and booked at CBR. While it was nice, we missed POR so much!! The boat to DTD was something that we took for granted and REALLY missed...also Bob alone is worth a stay at POR :thumbsup2 For our anniversary, the horse drawn carriage would have been really nice! We'll just have to do it again ;)

We prefer CBR. We personally like the theming better. My husband loves fishing and the whole country vibe but hated POR. The walkways are so windey (is that a word:confused3 ) between buildings we got lost for the first half of our trip everytime we went to the food court! Also we found the pool areas to be too shady at POR, but CBR has sunny pools and beach areas.

While I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, I did vote for POR. It's only because I like the theming better but it doesn't mean CBR is bad. We have stayed at both resorts. If you do go to POR do the horse drawn carriage ride if you can swing it. My wife and I had a fun time. We stayed in the mansions so the carriage driver took us through Alligator Bayou and we really want to stay in that section of the resort. Plus we really like the boat ride to Down Town Disney and take a walk to the French Quarters, it's a really nice resort in itself.

DH and myself stayed at CBR for our honeymoon in 2006 & have been back to this resort 3x since! We love the tropical feel, Caribbean music, landscaping. The pool is awesome, nice gift shop & food court, bus system has always been good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter