Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ thread - Refurbished for 2011 - Now CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note for anyone wanting to do a little decorating, I was at the dollar store and they had Mardi Gras stuff out. We picked up a few things to make the room festive!

I've only stayed at POFQ once and will be back in February. Does anyone have a map that they can show exactly where this is and what will be blocked off? I'm traveling with an "OMG that's just great!" and would love to show it is not a big deal, but I don't know the resort well enough.
If anyone is there, do you have to go around to the front to get into the food court / gift shop area?

I don't have a map, but it is literally the area between the u-shape that the gift shop and food court create. Normally, when you come in through the glass doors, you see the fountain (inside the building) and then another set of glass doors leading to the courtyard. The construction is from that second set of glass doors to the "road" that runs behind the gift shop and food court. You can access both the food court and the gift shop from the backside and there is a hallway on either side of the construction area as well. As far as construction goes, this is about as "no big deal" as you can get. Just not as pretty as usual. HTH!

We are just back from a trip, stayed POFQ from Jan 8th-15th. Wireless was awesome and worked flawlessly. Had to sign in daily, but it wasn't any trouble and worked on the iPad as well as DH's laptop.

The courtyard refurbishment went up a few days in and wasn't really a big deal. It was only the courtyard area between the gift shop and the quick service restaurant with a walkway on both sides (or you can go through the restaurant or gift shop). At the time, it went only to the "road" that runs behind those buildings, but you may want to choose your side before the construction. We were staying on the restaurant side (building 4) and left through the back of the gift shop, and we had to walk right before we could get out to the road to turn left towards bldg. 4. Just a tad more walking, but no biggie...

The queen beds were heavenly... was so glad we brought our own soap pump (Mickey of course!) as there are still no soap dishes out by the two sinks...:confused:

Seems like such a minor thing, but thanks for mentioning the soap pump as I wouldn't have thought of that ;)

My DH and I will be heading to POR in early 2012 not sure of exact dates yet. We are super excited its our first trip since we were kids. My question is this we really want a river view but would also prefer a king bed. Can I request a king bed with either the River view or preferred rooms? Thanks!!!

My DH and I will be heading to POR in early 2012 not sure of exact dates yet. We are super excited its our first trip since we were kids. My question is this we really want a river view but would also prefer a king bed. Can I request a king bed with either the River view or preferred rooms? Thanks!!!

This is actually the French Quarter thread, but yes there are some King Bed rooms at both POR and POFQ which have views over the river, so you could book a King Bed and request a river view. At POR, river views automatically give you a fairly good location, so I'd suggest leaving your request as River View only, to give them the best opportunity to find you somewhere nice.

Andre

Anyone just back from FQ and can give me an update on status of quick refurb on the LAGOON POOL AND SLIDE? I understand it was to be quick and the maintenanc crew should have moved onto Riverside by now? Anyone?

Thank you in advance. Any info helpful.

One more question, I recv'd my documents today and first voucher says
PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER- GARDEN

Can someone explain? Garden view is??? And where would that be exactly?

We have only stayed at Riverside of this resort before:confused3

Thanks! looking forward to our quick trip, leaving tomorrow night!

We are here now- the courtyard refurb is nothing. No biggie. As someone said, just think about where you are going. We are in building 2 & so we typically enter on the side by the arcade but if we just want a drink, we walk along the construction and enter over by building 4.

They did completely tear out the ramp exiting our building by the elevators (we are on the third floor) & barricade it yesterday. We either have to go the long way around the building or hope there are no mousekeeping carts blocking the walkway in front of the rooms as we have a side by side stroller.

Pool is open and has been sinc we arrived on Thursday. hoping to enjoy it tomorrow!

Checking in on Sunday -- have a few questions
- what kind of coffee/ coffee maker is in the room?
- is the in-room wifi free?
- should be landing at MCO about 9 am- any thoughts on the possibility of a room being ready by the time ME drops us off?

Thanks in advance!!!

- should be landing at MCO about 9 am- any thoughts on the possibility of a room being ready by the time ME drops us off?

Thanks in advance!!!

Darn, you are going to beat us there and take the good room! :) We arrive at MCO at 11am!

I know that the WiFi is free, not sure about the coffee or coffee maker. As for the room being ready it all depends on availability at the moment for your room requests. If you are flexible they will give you whatever is available at the time of check in, otherwise you have to wait until later in the day.

Thanks in advance!!!

The wifi worked perfectly when we were there in December.

The coffee pot is one of the small ones - 4 cups or something like that. And personally I don't think the coffee is very good. I brought my own coffee, cut open the little pouches they provided and dumped out the coffee (because my filters were too big for the pot), and poured my own coffee into their little pouches. That worked :-)

One time we went to POFQ we tried to check in around 2pm and our room wasn't ready. This past time we tried to check in a little early and there was no problem. So I think it just depends on what's available.

Have fun!

For the coffee question,

There are legions of threads about the Nescacrap they have in the rooms. It's the same Nescafe brand that is served at 98% of locations in WDW. If you've had coffee in WDW then you know what the room stuff will taste like. (I think Kona has 'real' coffee and someplace in AKL maybe)

My mom is a hard core gotta have my coffee in the morning and she said it was drinkable, but not the worst she's ever had. I have a cup of iced coffee/milk in the mornings and wouldn't touch it since I can make do with any cold caffene in the am I didn't even like the smell of it.

Most people who are picky just bring thier own coffee from home along with a few filters (if you don't have the half sized filters don't worry. Bring your regular size filters and a pair of scissors and cut down the edges to make it fit).

Sorry to appear dumb... if you are using an ipod touch with the free wifi... how do you sign on for the internet? Does the hotel give you a password?

Im so pleased to hear its working, we booked the 2nd and 3rd week of our holiday off site, to get free wifi.... so now its at disney too, thats fab!

Sorry to appear dumb... if you are using an ipod touch with the free wifi... how do you sign on for the internet? Does the hotel give you a password?

It's open, no need for a password. Just connect to the disneyguest wi-fi network and confirm in your browser that you accept the T&Cs.

Andre

Hi all

We may be staying at POFQ this summer for the first time. It looks like a beautiful resort and I know my mom will love to sit and enjoy the scenery and read / relax.

I've browsed the picture thread and didn't see many outdoor sitting areas / benches, etc around the various building or along the river banks.

Are there outdoor sitting areas around the buildings?

Thanks so much!!

Thanks!!!

We leave for the airport in @ 6 hours - - - can't believe it - - - am so excited - - - still packing - - - why am i on the computer???

Hi all

We may be staying at POFQ this summer for the first time. It looks like a beautiful resort and I know my mom will love to sit and enjoy the scenery and read / relax.

I've browsed the picture thread and didn't see many outdoor sitting areas / benches, etc around the various building or along the river banks.

Are there outdoor sitting areas around the buildings?

Thanks so much!!

There are benches along the river path as well as a nice little gazebo type thing opposite the pool area on the river with seating, I think that may be a smoking area though. There are also benches around the fountains and near the main building walkway going past the food court and gift shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter