Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ thread - Refurbished for 2011 - Now CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned last night. Very nice hotel and would stay again. They do not supply cots in case anyone was wondering. I would have had to switch to Riverside. It would have been nice if they told me that ahead of time. I even called to say I'd be coming in late and requested the cot. They said no problem. When I got there they said NO cots here. Oh well, my son slept on the floor. He was leaving in the morning anyway. The food court was not crowded, in fact the whole park was dead. This is a great time to go.

Just returned last night. Very nice hotel and would stay again. They do not supply cots in case anyone was wondering. I would have had to switch to Riverside. It would have been nice if they told me that ahead of time. I even called to say I'd be coming in late and requested the cot. They said no problem. When I got there they said NO cots here. Oh well, my son slept on the floor. He was leaving in the morning anyway. The food court was not crowded, in fact the whole park was dead. This is a great time to go.

Did you notice any construction going on at the French Quarter?

yes there was some going on around the entrance to the registration area from the back. I think the pool is being rehabbed now as well. It was still open as of the 17th but I think it is going to be closed and guests can use Riverside pools.

Jett456

Please tell me the main pool (doubloon pool with slide) at FQ is open after a quick refurbishment?

The dates I have are for closure 1/17 thru 1/18 and then they move over to Riverside.

We will be in town next week 1/26 for a few nights.

The lobby construction does not bother me but my kids will be heart broken if the pool and slide is not up and running:eek: They really don't care for ol man island pool over at Riverside.

Help a girl out! anyone with info please chime in, thanks.

I would call them. We used the pool on the 17th but the slides were closed. It was also late in the day. By the time you go it should be open. Disney has to close some things for rehab purposes but it stinks when your favorite is closed at time you are there. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is closed and I was heartbroken. I love that ride. I also didn't get to see the parade because of a few raindrops. Not happy with MK at all.:snooty:

I knew about Big Thunder Mountain and you are correct, so disappointing. However this is not to be a park intensive trip so maybe we will choose DHS or Epcot instead for our day of WDWpark fun as we are using FQ as our home base and traveling outside the "World" this time for a few things. Sacrilegious I know!

Perhaps someone will post in the next coupe of days but since they(Disney maintenance/rehab team) sound "on schedule" so far as closing down goes I am gonna try not to panic just yet. Just that info about slides being closed on eve of 1/17 was helpful, THANK YOU SO MUCH for responding.

I haven't heard about the pool at POFQ, just the ones at Riverside. I hope it is open as I will be there soon and my daughter wants to go down the slide!

How far in advance do you place you order for Garden Grocer?

I was at POR-FQ 1/8-1/12. The construction on the courtyard is set to last 8 weeks I was told. They are tearing up all of the broken brick (?) and replacing it. It was weird to see the barriers go up overnight. They weren't there when one day and suddenly they were.

This was a short anniversary trip without DD. DH and I loved the resort. It is small enough that you can get around quickly. We had a king room on the river, close to the parking lot. (we had a rental car) Only downside was the size of the food court. We felt it was too small for the resort and was limited in food selections compared to Riverside.

Hi! This will be our first time staying at POFQ and we have a couple questions. If anyone can help us out, we'd appreciate any info you can provide. :)

1. Do they provide Pack & Play Sheets?
2. Can you buy a gallon of milk at the resort store? If so, how expensive is it?

Thanks!

Going to be at POFQ in a couple of days, wanted to know how the in-room wifi worked. I read reports from the pool, etc, and it sounded like it was working fine. Wondering how in room is working. Thanks

We'll be at POFQ for our 1st trip at the end of February. It's just me and my DS5, on the DDP. I looked into Garden Grocer for a few breakfast items/snacks, but with the minimum order plus delivery fee, it was not a good option for us.

So, I'm packing some fave snacks and cereal to have in our room. I figured I'd buy milk for certain, maybe juice and some fresh fruit from the resort store. Can anyone confirm if they have skim milk in a half gallon or gallon? That's what we normally drink, so using 2% would take some adjustment. Thanks for any help!

Going to be at POFQ in a couple of days, wanted to know how the in-room wifi worked. I read reports from the pool, etc, and it sounded like it was working fine. Wondering how in room is working. Thanks

No problems when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I used my ipad and it was fine.

To All Disney Maniac's - Booked CBR, moved to CSR and finally decided to land at POFQ. :surfweb: :rotfl2:Glad for the complimentary Wifi in the rooms. :cheer2:

Worked fine for me, too. Stayed at POFQ second week of Jan and I was browsing DIS (just couldn't stay away). Connection was even good enough to watch NetFlix.

Worked fine for me, too. Stayed at POFQ second week of Jan and I was browsing DIS (just couldn't stay away). Connection was even good enough to watch NetFlix.

Kids will be happy to hear this. It will also give us something to do once the kids go to sleep...that is if we can stay awake :)

We'll be at POFQ for our 1st trip at the end of February. It's just me and my DS5, on the DDP. I looked into Garden Grocer for a few breakfast items/snacks, but with the minimum order plus delivery fee, it was not a good option for us.

So, I'm packing some fave snacks and cereal to have in our room. I figured I'd buy milk for certain, maybe juice and some fresh fruit from the resort store. Can anyone confirm if they have skim milk in a half gallon or gallon? That's what we normally drink, so using 2% would take some adjustment. Thanks for any help!

Well I actually brought my milk with me (walmart) because I also do skim. When I moved to POFQ I ran out of my half gallon. I did find 1% in the little cartons, I didn't look at half gallons.

I just went to look at the Beach Club FAQ page and in one of the pictures there are 3 different colored caps on the half gallons so I'm betting one of those is either skim or 1% and most resorts carry similar stuff. I don't have any problem with the 1%.

How far in advance do you place you order for Garden Grocer?

We use Garden Grocer on every trip they are great :thumbsup2
I place my order about 1 month before our trip. I will start placing items in my shopping cart once we're booked and add additional items as I think of them. That way when it's time to place the order it's quick and easy.

We are just back from a trip, stayed POFQ from Jan 8th-15th. Wireless was awesome and worked flawlessly. Had to sign in daily, but it wasn't any trouble and worked on the iPad as well as DH's laptop.

The courtyard refurbishment went up a few days in and wasn't really a big deal. It was only the courtyard area between the gift shop and the quick service restaurant with a walkway on both sides (or you can go through the restaurant or gift shop). At the time, it went only to the "road" that runs behind those buildings, but you may want to choose your side before the construction. We were staying on the restaurant side (building 4) and left through the back of the gift shop, and we had to walk right before we could get out to the road to turn left towards bldg. 4. Just a tad more walking, but no biggie...

The queen beds were heavenly... was so glad we brought our own soap pump (Mickey of course!) as there are still no soap dishes out by the two sinks...:confused:

Has anyone heard anything about the courtyard refurb at POFQ? I saw this on mouseforless.com:

Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter Courtyard will undergo refurbishment from January 9 through March 2, 2012. Barricades will be used to isolate the area starting at the doors to the lobby and extending out towards the sidewalk. Exits will be available on either side of the courtyard to allow Guests the ability to travel to and from their rooms. Construction will start no earlier than 9am each day.

Has anyone been there since January 9 to see the refurbishment? We will be there Feb 16-26 for our first visit to POFQ and I am worried about it being loud and dusty! :sad1:

I've only stayed at POFQ once and will be back in February. Does anyone have a map that they can show exactly where this is and what will be blocked off? I'm traveling with an "OMG that's just great!" and would love to show it is not a big deal, but I don't know the resort well enough.
If anyone is there, do you have to go around to the front to get into the food court / gift shop area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter