Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ thread - Refurbished for 2011 - Now CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about beach/pool towels..... Do we need to bring our own or does the POFQ supply them to you daily?

Lots of towels. Nice quality and a big bin of them between the bar and the pool. The dirty return is next to it. I don't know about the carriage rides but I'll ask in the morning. Everyone is very nice!

We did the carriage ride back in 2006. I think it was about $35.00 back then. We really enjoyed the ride and thought it was well worth the price.I'm sure the portorleans.com website will give you the info you need.

So, so EXCITED!!!! We will be arriving next Saturday!!! :banana: Can't wait to see the rooms. I know they will be just beautiful! Such a beautiful and peaceful resort. Truly has a deluxe feel at an affordable price.

So, so EXCITED!!!! We will be arriving next Saturday!!! :banana: Can't wait to see the rooms. I know they will be just beautiful! Such a beautiful and peaceful resort. Truly has a deluxe feel at an affordable price.

We are arriving next Saturday too!!!!

Are the carriage rides free or do you have to pay for them?

$45 for the 25-minute ride, up to four adults or two adults and three children. Might be worth booking in advance a day or two before, as although they will take walk-ups if they are free, they tend to mostly take pre-booked rides.

Andre

Hello! We are here now and LOVE it!
a few things I 've noticed:
blow dryers aren't very powerful.
beds are very comfortable. Pillows are hard.
shower head has great pressure.
rooms are peaceful.
the bus from DHS was superlong. We took the bus to SSR and then downtown Disney and the POFQ. A CM said it would be faster. Took us from 9:15 to 12:30 to get back.
crowds aren't bad but lots of groups full of kids, middle and high school that are rude, running, rough housing and disrespectful. But, it's a good lesson for my kids in how NOT TO EVER BEHAVE!
the little fridge in the room doesn't cool real well. I was going to complain but my parents is the same way.
pool is fun.
food is great!
its hot!
sorry I'm typing on my phone and the keyboard is a pain! I'll try to answer any questions.

Try keeping the cabinet door to the fridge open. Many have said that helps. :thumbsup2

the bus from DHS was superlong. We took the bus to SSR and then downtown Disney and the POFQ. A CM said it would be faster. Took us from 9:15 to 12:30 to get back.

Why in the world would a CM tell you that? :confused: We've never had a problem getting from DHS back to POFQ, no need to take such a circuitous route with various buses.

I started going to disney in the 70s. There was only one park back then. I do not remember how my parents got there or where we stayed. With only one park - there was little need for more than a couple hour drive each way on a one day trip. I do recall how impressed I was with the employees that wore white gloves and were absolutely always pleasant. People say they used paper tickets. I have no memories of these tickets. I wouldn't blame my memory as much as my age as my parents likely took care of all that. I remember the park entrance ticket with days that never expired. When they changed the 10000 Leagues ride to a mermaid grotto, I was shocked. I started staying at the resorts for a night or two when I was old enough to take myself, sometimes with a friend. If I am remembering a heated pool instead of a hot tub, I would blame my memory this time. Disney's heated pools would have been a first for this South Florida girl. They built Epcot, Universal's first park, and MGM, I moved far away when they were building the second Universal park, and Animal Kingdom (AK) was added. I visited AK for the first time two years ago. It was a total surprise that the Skyway ski lift tram was removed. I still use the names MGM and people mover. I thank the stars that the rest of Disney is still there for my kids to enjoy. I hope this text explains the recollection of hot tubs for you, Andre. The internet is great, but your thread is magical.

Why in the world would a CM tell you that? :confused: We've never had a problem getting from DHS back to POFQ, no need to take such a circuitous route with various buses.

Indeed, if there was some problem with POFQ buses I'd probably have suggested either getting a POR bus (if separate services were running) or transferring over to another park (probably Epcot) and getting a POFQ bus from there. 3 hours from park to hotel is ridiculous!

Andre

Try keeping the cabinet door to the fridge open. Many have said that helps. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'll open it in a few.

There wasn't a separate bus at DHS for POR and FQ. The stop was the last one on the right when you walk out of the park. The line was back 4 stops and after waiting 25 minutes and the line not moving, DH asked a CM if there was another place or if we could catch a cab or if he had any recommendations. He said we were in the correct line, they had 1 bus for both resorts and the line was long. We met some people on the bus from Downtown disney that after waiting an hour in the line did the same thing but they were at POR. I think it was the problem with leaving a few minutes after close. But, it was a minor thing when you look at all the fun we are having. We might have also just caught the bus situation on an off night. We don't have another DHS day so I can't compare anything.
The bus back from Epcot was a shared bus too but we left at 7 and there wasn't a line FQ was the first stop.

Magic Kingdom had their own stop for FQ. We only waited 10 minutes at most.

Last time we stayed at SSR and didn't like the line length of the buses and having to stand with two kids while riding. Time before was beach club and childless so the comparison can't be made. My dad said he remembered the buses at GF being long in the past but he's very impatient.

People say they used paper tickets. I have no memories of these tickets.

My first trip was in 1975. I was a kid, and we camped in a tent in Fort Wilderness. I believe the admission ticket was paper, and they stamped the date on the ticket as you entered the park. Within the park, you had attraction tickets, labeled A to E, to use for various attractions. I remember my parents having us ride a trolley or horse cart on Main Street to use the last of our tickets. :)

To get back on track with POFQ.......I think it's good POR and POFQ split into two resorts. As one resort, it would be just too huge by the way people think today. Already, people complain about how big POR is on many threads. It is big, but I think that's part of the charm of POR.

64 days until POFQ for us!! :goodvibes :dance3:

Please take pics of the tea, menu, and current refillable mugs. I do not know how to post a picture yet. I imagine it must be hard to find the time to open a computer during your holiday. Maybe you could write about it?

Hello! We are here now and LOVE it!
a few things I 've noticed:
blow dryers aren't very powerful.
beds are very comfortable. Pillows are hard.
shower head has great pressure.
rooms are peaceful.
crowds aren't bad but lots of groups full of kids, middle and high school that are rude, running, rough housing and disrespectful. But, it's a good lesson for my kids in how NOT TO EVER BEHAVE!
the little fridge in the room doesn't cool real well. I was going to complain but my parents is the same way.
pool is fun.
food is great!
its hot!
sorry I'm typing on my phone and the keyboard is a pain! I'll try to answer any questions.

Have you tried to change the "setting/speed" on the blowdryer? My sister had the same problem two weeks ago. She had it on low. When you switch it to high the blowdryer is much better.

Great thread...thank you to everyone who has contributed!!

We are staying at POFQ for the first time in August. I am beyond excited about the queen size bed upgrades!

We have stayed at AKL, CBR, POP, AsMo, AsSp, AsMu, POR in bayou room, POR in plantation room and Sartoga Springs Resort. I can't wait to add POFQ to my list.

This trip is a surprise graduation trip for my college bound DS18. Of course me and my DS15 will be going as well. I was hoping to keep it a secret for as long as it took for one of them to notice our plane is going to Orlando instead of Milwaukee but I'm afraid that the very noticeable DME luggage tags are going to ruin the surprise. No way around it as we will have 6 checked suitcases and they will have to handle all of them since I recently had surgery and can't lift more than 15 to 20 lbs.

It will still be a great surprise at the airport.

So, does anyone have a favorite building (non-preferred/water view)?

Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter