Port Orleans FQ vs. AoA Little Mermaid

farah

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked at the Art Of Animation in the Little Mermaid Section. After reading the reviews about the distance, I am starting to think twice. My husband says if we can walk all day in the parks we can walk a little to our room. He also says we could use the extra 180 on food instead.

I have always wanted to stay at the Port Orleans French Quarter and the price difference is about $180 more total. I also love how it is a small resort and the rooms have been upgraded to queen beds instead of doubles.

My youngest daughter is a huge fan of Ariel and that is the main reason we booked AoA.

I would love to get the opinions of anyone who has stayed at either or both please. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

I found myself in the same boat! I love Ariel and was so excited about a brand new resort but I was getting a bad vibe about reviews. When I plugged in my dates for the current spring promo, it was less than $100 more for us to upgrade to PO Riverside. I have stayed there before and loved it so the promise of a really nice moderate outweighed the crowded overbooked kid friendly resort for us (we don't have kids). I've also stayed at POFQ which was also cute. If you're willing to pay the extra $180, it may be worth.

Thanks so much. I would love to spend the extra $180 but after talking to my Ariel obsessed daughter she said she is willing to walk the extra few minutes. And my eldest is also wanting to stick to the new resort. It's 3 against 1 :confused3. I am still working on it and crossing my fingers but if not its okay. We are still going to have a great time:cheer2:

I am in the same boat as well for my August trip.

As of right now we are at AoA because of the newness and the LM section, however I would much prefer to stay at POFQ. I have always stayed there and never had a bad experience and the size of the resort is perfect there is never a far walk to any section of the resort and the boat to Downtown Disney is a very nice added perk.

We have made the decision to switch to POFQ! I am really happy but there were two reasons: 1- the distance from LM rooms to the buses and 2nd we read a lot about the automatic AC which would shut of if no motion was detected. We need a cool room to be comfortable and not cranky. All of us have agreed!!

We have made the decision to switch to POFQ! I am really happy but there were two reasons: 1- the distance from LM rooms to the buses and 2nd we read a lot about the automatic AC which would shut of if no motion was detected. We need a cool room to be comfortable and not cranky. All of us have agreed!!

You will also love the ceiling fans in the room if being cool is important to you.
Enjoy POFQ!

I've stayed at both resorts ^_^ I stayed at AoA this past October and POFQ in 2011.

Let me just say that, for me, paying the extra $$ is worth it for POFQ. I am also a HUGE Ariel fan and I LOVED the decor in the room and of the LM area ^_^ That was awesome, but I just did not like the room. The comforter was scratchy for me, which I didn't have that problem when I stayed at POFQ or at POR (we stayed only one night in AoA and then transferred to POR). Don't know if it was because the comforters were still really new or what but it was rather uncomfy.

Just thought I'd let you know ^_^

P.S. Just read that you switched. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Amunet said:
I've stayed at both resorts ^_^ I stayed at AoA this past October and POFQ in 2011.

Let me just say that, for me, paying the extra $$ is worth it for POFQ. I am also a HUGE Ariel fan and I LOVED the decor in the room and of the LM area ^_^ That was awesome, but I just did not like the room. The comforter was scratchy for me, which I didn't have that problem when I stayed at POFQ or at POR (we stayed only one night in AoA and then transferred to POR). Don't know if it was because the comforters were still really new or what but it was rather uncomfy.

Just thought I'd let you know ^_^

P.S. Just read that you switched. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Glad we made the switch!!! Can't wait! Any room preferences?

OP, since your kids love Ariel so much, i would have at least stayed one night room-only. They'd love it. Esp the pool, you can hear dory & nemo under water!!! Either way, youre all happy with your choice and your girls will love POFQ...the pool is a lot of fun. They'll love the slide! Thats one thing AoA doesnt have. Plus the QUEEN beds, and the boat to DTD is a nice perk. Love that about the Port Orleans resorts! :goodvibes Have fun. :wave2:

Good choice. The Little Mermaid rooms are cute to be sure but I wouldn't sign up to do that walk again. Also, while our LM rooms were nice and cool at all times, my mom and sister's connecting room didn't have any A/C at all.

Also, the lack of discounts for LM rooms would make it a non-contender for me (when we went, it was that rare time they offered free dining - Sept. 2012). I wasn't overly fond of the food court there either. Much preferred Pop Century's.

The resort theming is pretty fantastic though.

We stayed at the POFQ last year and visited AoA for a afternoon. The two resorts are totally different. AoA has a pure kid theme to it while the POFQ is a adult resort for families. My son loved the slide, the boat ride to downtown Disney and he even watched the movie Cars on the lawn at night. My wife and I enjoyed the laid back feel of the resort. It made us totally relaxed while not at the park.

If we stayed at AoA, I know my son would've have enjoyed it. Me or my wife? Not so much. I know the whole time we would be there it would not be relaxful. Disney costs too much, Mommy and Daddy need R&R too!

Glad we made the switch!!! Can't wait! Any room preferences?

I would highly recommend building #4. Since you're concerned with walking, that building is closest to the bus and food court. Also close to the pool but without having the noise from the pool :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter