Port or Starboard?

Marty Moose

Ay-yep! That's me!
Are there any benefits to having a room on either side of the ship? Are there better views in port, etc. on one side or the other? :confused3

TIA! :goodvibes

This depends on which cruise you're on and what you'd like to see. Generally, though, the ships "back" into Castaway Cay, so if you're starboard, you have better views of the island and the Flying Dutchman.

We're doing the westbound transatlantic from Spain to Florida, so I wanted port side because it will be facing generally south.

So, look at the cruise options and make your choice based on what you think you'd like most on your specific cruise. :) And have a magical time!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Thanks for your responses!!

The whole "fireworks from starboard balconies" was actually what got me thinking about one side over the other!

We're considering either a 4-night or a 7-night Western for our first cruise, so unless there are some really great "port" views on the Western I think I'm leaning towards starboard! :thumbsup2 I guess I'll have to wait and see what they are offering in 2011 though!

Thanks!!
:)

You can plan for the view at Castaway, but "the best laid plans...." Starboard has the fireworks and the smoking at the pools. Port had the best view on Grand Cayman.

I feel silly asking but how do you know which side is port or starboard? Last cruise our balcony was facing the DCL port and we watched the baggage handlers work their magic getting all the luggage off extremely quickly. Thanks!

I feel silly asking but how do you know which side is port or starboard? Last cruise our balcony was facing the DCL port and we watched the baggage handlers work their magic getting all the luggage off extremely quickly. Thanks!

If you are standing at the back of the ship (stern) and are looking toward the front of the ship (bow), the port side of the ship is the left side and the starboard side is the right side. Port has 4 letters & left has 4 letters. These terms never change, regardless of which side of the boat is facing the port.
Hope this helps.:goodvibes

:rotfl:We booked on the Starboard side for the supposed better views on CC but the joke was on us! We did back-to-backs on the Wonder with one of them being a double dip to CC - so we had a totla of 3 stops at CC. The first 2 days we went there they were doing maintenance (painting the hull) while we were docked so they pulled in rather than backing in so no view of the island. The last day they finally backed in but our cabin was forward and we only had a porthole not a balcony so we had to cram into the corner to look out the window back toward the island. Convinced now it really doesn't matter...

We liked the port side. We were in the shade for the lifeboat drill, we got to see all the activity at the dock in Cozumel, my kids loved watching some people who were late making a mad dash for the ship. They especially loved watching the cm's at CC waving goodbye with the white mickey gloves on from our balcony. And as a previous poster said, we did get to see dolphins one night at sunset following along with us for at least 20 minutes. :rotfl: Don't think that had anything to do with being on the port side that I know of, but it was pretty cool to see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter