• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port or Starboard facing Castaway Cay?

TerryCRZ

Mouseketeer
I booked Portside thinking we'd getting an amazing view from our room of the family beach and Pirate Shipand the photos Ive seen show the ship parking Starboard side lately. Anybody know if they park both ways or one or the other. The pics I've seen online and on my passporter conflict with eachother.

Recent cruisers... please advise, Thanks a bunch!

Every trip that I have been on to Castaway Cay the ship has backed in and has Starboard side to the beaches. Do not know if they change or why they change. It may have something to do with which lifeboat they want to use for testing. :confused3

Our first cruise we pulled in, last cruise we backed in. Our server told us they now rarely pull in.

Before we left home my husband was not as thrilled to be upgraded as I was because we were switched from Starboard to Port side. We were Starboard on our two Wonder cruises. I told him the captain pulled in this time just for him!

Kidding aside, someone had told me it depends on wind and tide conditions.

Lisa

I have heard that they only pull in for photo opps for DCL. It is easier for them to pull out if the weather & current changes than to back out.

Ultimately, it's is captain's choice. Usually wind and tide conditions play into the captian's decision (and whether there is concern about making a "quick getaway" if a storm is brewing). The captain's probably prefer backing in, but if warranted they can (and occasionally do) pull straight in.

Don't book a room solely on whether you want a CC beach view ... murphy's law says that in that situation then the other side of the ship will then face the beach :rolleyes:

We backed in, and I assumed it was because the port side was supposed to be facing the port (i.e. the dock)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter