• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port excursions with allergies - food ideas

Momof2inCT

Mouseketeer
We LOVE cruising with Disney because they take such good care of my kids, who both have (different) food allergies. However, we were told for our upcoming Northern European cruise that the two port excursions we have that are over the lunch hour will probably not have anything that my kids can eat - i.e. they could not confirm dairy and gluten free meals/food. We were advised to pack and take lots of granola bars.

Does anyone have any tips/food ideas beyond granola bars for things we can take to a port excursion? Fruit and vegetables are out and we have to take packaged food only.

Thanks!

We LOVE cruising with Disney because they take such good care of my kids, who both have (different) food allergies. However, we were told for our upcoming Northern European cruise that the two port excursions we have that are over the lunch hour will probably not have anything that my kids can eat - i.e. they could not confirm dairy and gluten free meals/food. We were advised to pack and take lots of granola bars.

Does anyone have any tips/food ideas beyond granola bars for things we can take to a port excursion? Fruit and vegetables are out and we have to take packaged food only.

Thanks!
What about the sealed cereal breakfast items in Cababas? Good to eat even if dry without milk?

You maybe able to get sandwiches ( gluten free) from room service in uncrushable packages.

On the ship itself pre-packaged gluten free may be a little bit tough. Room service usually has Uncrustables, but I'm sure those have gluten. there may be packaged cereal on the buffet, gluten may be an issue though with the exception of Rice Krispies.

Are you considering bringing Items from home? Then I would recommend protein bars, fruit snacks, items like squeezable applesauce, and obviously any packaged gluten-free items that you enjoy.

Depending on your excursion, there may be local grocery stores you could visit while on your trip, they would likely have some available items. But, your excursion might not allow for the possibility.

I think it's Emerald (green box) that has 100 calorie packs of different kinds of nuts. They're individually packaged within the box (several per box) and the individual packages are tiny, yet very filling. This won't help for gluten free, but check on the Belvita breakfast bars too. I find those hold me for hours.

On the ship itself pre-packaged gluten free may be a little bit tough. Room service usually has Uncrustables, but I'm sure those have gluten. there may be packaged cereal on the buffet, gluten may be an issue though with the exception of Rice Krispies.

Are you considering bringing Items from home? Then I would recommend protein bars, fruit snacks, items like squeezable applesauce, and obviously any packaged gluten-free items that you enjoy.

Depending on your excursion, there may be local grocery stores you could visit while on your trip, they would likely have some available items. But, your excursion might not allow for the possibility.

Rice Krispies are not GF and they stopped making brown rice type of RK. Make sure the Cheerios they have are GF and it might br a good option.

I believe they sell the new Snacks with Character line on board in the store now. It has certified GF snacks as part of the line, I'm not sure as to the cost of them, but I'm sure there'll be a blog out there with prices, etc

Rice Krispies are not GF and they stopped making brown rice type of RK. Make sure the Cheerios they have are GF and it might br a good option.

Sorry for the misinformation. I have a gluten-free friend who eats them, so I assumed.

Thanks!
Are fruits/veggies out because you don't like them or because you can't take them off the ship? The only reason I ask is because we just returned from a Mediterranean cruise on CCL and never once read or heard we could not take fruits off the ship line we always hear when sailing in the Caribbean. Could be a cruise line rule though???

As far as other things go, we never take any trips without taking along the individual Jif peanut butter cups. They're completely sealed, easy to travel with and can be combined with many things for a great mini-meal. I'm pretty sure they're GF/DF

You might also speak with the kitchen staff about preparing an allergy friendly pre-packed lunch for you to take with you off the ship. I read somewhere else on this blog about this being done for a child with allergies on a European Disney cruise. I have a child with food allergies and I am planning to order the uncrustables (unopened from room service) and taking plenty of packaged applesauces, dried fruit strips, and nuts with us (that I am taking on the plane with us) off the ship on long port days. I have also seen some prepackaged gluten-free crackers at our local Target and that would pair nicely with individual peanut butter cups. I am hoping this will help fill my hungry teenager if we end up not being able to figure out the ingredients of local foods in port. Hope you enjoy your cruise- we are excitedly preparing for our European cruise next week!

You might also speak with the kitchen staff about preparing an allergy friendly pre-packed lunch for you to take with you off the ship. I read somewhere else on this blog about this being done for a child with allergies on a European Disney cruise. I have a child with food allergies and I am planning to order the uncrustables (unopened from room service) and taking plenty of packaged applesauces, dried fruit strips, and nuts with us (that I am taking on the plane with us) off the ship on long port days. I have also seen some prepackaged gluten-free crackers at our local Target and that would pair nicely with individual peanut butter cups. I am hoping this will help fill my hungry teenager if we end up not being able to figure out the ingredients of local foods in port. Hope you enjoy your cruise- we are excitedly preparing for our European cruise next week!
Have a fantastic cruise.

My son has allergies (different ones than yours) and on our recent cruise I took individual "snack packs" of Ritz--they are mini sticks of Ritz as well as individual servings of SunButter. The SunButter servings come in little bags. I didn't even need plastic knives--I just kneaded the little serving bag of Sunbutter until it was all mixed together and then opened the bag and squeezed it out onto the crackers. It was just as filling as a sandwich for him.

Maybe something like that would work for you. I also brought safe granola bars, Clif Kids fruit ropes, snack size bags of crackers, and other items that worked for him.

Fruit & Veggies are allowed off of the Disney Magic in Europe,- cruises visiting USA ports and some Caribbean ports do ban it.
We would love to take fruit and vegetables with us - but I was advised that this may not be an option. I really hope it is an option though! :)

We would love to take fruit and vegetables with us - but I was advised that this may not be an option. I really hope it is an option though! :)

As far as I know (just like the UK) there's no restrictions on bringing fresh fruit in, assuming they're thinking the ship is travelling internally within the EU. Although it's a US registered ship.... but anyway, these are the rules:

Within the EU
You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU.

Outside the EU
Meat, dairy products and potatoes
You can’t bring meat, meat products, milk, dairy products or potatoes into the UK from outside the EU unless you’re coming from:
  • Iceland
  • the Faroe Islands
  • Greenland
You can bring up to 10kg from these countries.

Fruit and vegetables
You can bring up to 2kg of fruit and vegetables (except potatoes) into the UK as long as they are:
  • in personal baggage
  • for you and your family or friends (ie you can’t sell them)
  • free from signs of pests and diseases
Eggs, honey and fish
You can bring:
  • egg products, eggs and honey (up to 2kg in total)
  • fish (up to 20kg in total or 1 fish, whichever is the heaviest)
Any fish you bring in must be fresh and gutted, cooked, cured, dried or smoked.

The thought of carrying gutted fish in Mediterranean heat makes me cringe though!!!!! Don't know if you've already left for your cruise, but we've got 2 dairy allergies heading off to the Mediterranean cruise and are planning to take some of the ship's pre-packed cookies and the like and some fruit along to go alongside any other options we have when we're out and about :-)

Hope that helps you or someone!

When I was on the Dream earlier this year, the Rice Chex were gluten-free and were a great late-night and port snack.

As far as I know (just like the UK) there's no restrictions on bringing fresh fruit in, assuming they're thinking the ship is travelling internally within the EU. Although it's a US registered ship.... but anyway, these are the rules:

Within the EU
You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU.

Outside the EU
Meat, dairy products and potatoes
You can’t bring meat, meat products, milk, dairy products or potatoes into the UK from outside the EU unless you’re coming from:
  • Iceland
  • the Faroe Islands
  • Greenland
You can bring up to 10kg from these countries.

Fruit and vegetables
You can bring up to 2kg of fruit and vegetables (except potatoes) into the UK as long as they are:
  • in personal baggage
  • for you and your family or friends (ie you can’t sell them)
  • free from signs of pests and diseases
Eggs, honey and fish
You can bring:
  • egg products, eggs and honey (up to 2kg in total)
  • fish (up to 20kg in total or 1 fish, whichever is the heaviest)
Any fish you bring in must be fresh and gutted, cooked, cured, dried or smoked.

The thought of carrying gutted fish in Mediterranean heat makes me cringe though!!!!! Don't know if you've already left for your cruise, but we've got 2 dairy allergies heading off to the Mediterranean cruise and are planning to take some of the ship's pre-packed cookies and the like and some fruit along to go alongside any other options we have when we're out and about :-)

Hope that helps you or someone!

Actually, it is a Bahamas registered ship. If it was a US registered ship, they could do Hawaii intra-island cruises.

My wife has several food allergies, many in conflict as they are often used to replace each other. On most of the PAs that we have done with food involved, she has usually not been able to eat it. We have started taking a sheet printed in the native language that addresses the allergies and possible alternates, which often ends up with her getting a salad with no dressing. However, in Guernsey, we had the first PA where all of her allergies were forwarded to the tour operator by DCL (maybe they always do this, but this is the first time it has been made apparent to us), and they had prepared a meal that met her needs. So, it seems possible for DCL to make sure your documented allergies get to your tour operator, but what they do with them is unknown.

Check out the Go Picnic brand of packaged lunches. I find them at Target. They are GF and I believe most are dairy free. Things like hummus or sunbutter with GF crackers, turkey sticks, pepperoni and crackers etc. All processed food but they are good for travel with allergies.

DW is gluten intolerant so when we did the Med cruise a few years ago, I drafted a page saying "gluten allergy" in all the languages of the countries we were visited. Most of the restaurants we visited understood what "gluten free" in English meant, but we did show them the page I made just to be sure. We did learn that she could eat European flour products in Italy and France as it is different than what we have in the US (chemically enhanced), though this may not apply to others with gluten issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter