• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

port adventures in Victoria, registering for mixology classes, and Palo dinner

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
So our window to check in for our Vancouver to SD cruise just opened and we finished registering and booking our Palo brunch along with the nursery for our 2.5 y/r dd. I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some help on.

1. Has anybody done any of the port adventures and if so, do you recommend one to go on or even to stay away from? I'd like to maybe check out the whale watching but not sure if it's in season at the time as it seems kinda expensive. We'll be 3 adults and 3 kids; ds 8, ds 6.5, and dd 2.5. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. I've read in previous posts about something called mixology where you can sign up and do wine tasting or cocktail tastings and such but I didn't see anything while registering. Is this only available once you walk onto the ship and if so, do you have to go to the customer service desk to sign up? If not, can someone point me in the right direction and maybe clue me in on what other activities I might be missing out on besides spa. Thanks.

3. We booked our Palo brunch and we've been there before on a Cruise to Nowhere. We enjoyed it and will be doing it again but I noticed that there was a Palo dinner available as well. Has anybody been to the Palo dinner and can offer some feedback? Is it worth skipping the evening meal? Is it buffet style or do you order from a menu?

1. Has anybody done any of the port adventures and if so, do you recommend one to go on or even to stay away from? I'd like to maybe check out the whale watching but not sure if it's in season at the time as it seems kinda expensive. We'll be 3 adults and 3 kids; ds 8, ds 6.5, and dd 2.5. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thoughts...
  • keep in mind Vancouver/Victoria whales are orca's. Not the large humpbacks of Alaska
  • You may choose to do Orca whale watching from Storybrooke (Steveston) pre-cruise to save that precious Victoria time for Butchart

When you get your first Navigator at check-in it will be listed where to go to signup for alcohol tastings. For our Alaskan cruise we went to Triton's.

All alcohol tastings are sign up on the ship only, cannot pre-book any of that.

We've done the whale watching excursion in Victoria. We enjoyed it but we saw not a single whale. Half the people on our excursion though had a miserable time. It was raining when we boarded (we were ready for wet weather) but no one was in the inside cabin (everyone wanted to have a front row seat for the whales!) so we stayed inside. As the trip went on the inside cabin filled and filled. It was cold and rainy and as people got colder and wetter they gave up on seeing whales. It was a scenic cruise and we did see some wildlife (sea lions I believe). But know it isn't one of those trips where whale sighting are guaranteed or your money back.

Palo is an upscale sit down dinner, not a buffet like it is for brunch. If you look over the menu and see that it appeals to you, yes it is worth skipping the MDR to do. The food is better prepared than the MDR and the soufflé is VERY good!

I would definitely recommend the Palo dinner - and if you can only do one, I doubt recommend since you have experienced brunch already :)
Have the Chicolate soufflé for dessert (it's more of a lava cake) - trust me!

We just tried booking a port adventure and I guess our 2.5 dd is too young for the adventure as the system won't let us book her. We're not leaving her in the Flounder's nursery so does anybody have any suggestions? We were planning on doing the Butchart Gardens and the city tour but I guess that's out of the question. What if we did our own tour not through Disney? Any thoughts on that?

I think I'd like to go to Butchart and then come back and visit Chinatown and Market Square. What are your thoughts on this plan? Any tips and suggestions?

We just tried booking a port adventure and I guess our 2.5 dd is too young for the adventure as the system won't let us book her. We're not leaving her in the Flounder's nursery so does anybody have any suggestions? We were planning on doing the Butchart Gardens and the city tour but I guess that's out of the question. What if we did our own tour not through Disney? Any thoughts on that?

I think I'd like to go to Butchart and then come back and visit Chinatown and Market Square. What are your thoughts on this plan? Any tips and suggestions?
I just looked up this excursion. While there is an adult price and a child (3-9) price, it also indicates child (0-2) is $0.00. She can do the excursion, she just isn't required to have a ticket. Since it says "All Ages" I think she's good.

At least that's the way I understand it.

I just looked up this excursion. While there is an adult price and a child (3-9) price, it also indicates child (0-2) is $0.00. She can do the excursion, she just isn't required to have a ticket. Since it says "All Ages" I think she's good.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Maybe I'm not understanding the system but I checked the box next to the adventure and there was a box that I could check that marked all eligible people and my 2.5 dd was grayed out whereas everybody else had a check next to their name. Then next to the adult's name that my dd registered to has a message saying age restriction but it's also grayed out and so I can't click on it for details.

Maybe I'm not understanding the system but I checked the box next to the adventure and there was a box that I could check that marked all eligible people and my 2.5 dd was grayed out whereas everybody else had a check next to their name. Then next to the adult's name that my dd registered to has a message saying age restriction but it's also grayed out and so I can't click on it for details.
I'd suggest calling DCL and confirming, but the way I understand it, if it (the description on the website) says "All Ages" and actually indicates a 0-2 age group (regardless of no cost), then the 2 year old can go, just doesn't need a ticket. I believe it has to do with the 2 year old not requiring an actual seat (they sit on your lap).

If you do call, ask to speak to a supervisor, since the CMs answering the phones are known to sometimes just give the answer they think you want to hear. Maybe even call twice and seeing if you get the same answer.

For example: the Afternoon Tea at Butchart Garden only says Ages 8 and up, and only has adult and child (8 & 9) ages indicated. So no kids under 8 can be booked on this excursion.

I'd suggest calling DCL and confirming, but the way I understand it, if it (the description on the website) says "All Ages" and actually indicates a 0-2 age group (regardless of no cost), then the 2 year old can go, just doesn't need a ticket. I believe it has to do with the 2 year old not requiring an actual seat (they sit on your lap).

If you do call, ask to speak to a supervisor, since the CMs answering the phones are known to sometimes just give the answer they think you want to hear. Maybe even call twice and seeing if you get the same answer.

For example: the Afternoon Tea at Butchart Garden only says Ages 8 and up, and only has adult and child (8 & 9) ages indicated. So no kids under 8 can be booked on this excursion.

Will do. Also, do you by any chance know where the ship docks in Victoria as I'm wondering if it's within walking distance to Chinatown?

Will do. Also, do you by any chance know where the ship docks in Victoria as I'm wondering if it's within walking distance to Chinatown?
Don't know for sure, but when we were there recently (not DCL) it seemed there are only 3 docks for cruise ships. At least where we were docked:
Victoria with cruise ship docks (red circle) and Chinatown (blue circle) noted:
victoria.jpg

When you get your first Navigator at check-in it will be listed where to go to signup for alcohol tastings. For our Alaskan cruise we went to Triton's.

Is there a general time when these tastings are held or do they vary across all ships and itineraries? I ask because we have to put our 2.5 dd into the Flounder nursery and I'd like to register some hours now so they don't book up completely. This way, for example, if they generally do them only in the afternoon, then we'll book a 3-5 hour window in the afternoon. I'm hoping sometime after lunch between 1-4pm. Thanks for your help.

Is there a general time when these tastings are held or do they vary across all ships and itineraries? I ask because we have to put our 2.5 dd into the Flounder nursery and I'd like to register some hours now so they don't book up completely. This way, for example, if they generally do them only in the afternoon, then we'll book a 3-5 hour window in the afternoon. I'm hoping sometime after lunch between 1-4pm. Thanks for your help.
Well, our mixology class was at like 4:00, if I recall correctly.

Chinatown in Victoria is not worth a long walk or cab ride. It;s one street really and a few ehhh stores. If you have enough time the Royal BC Museum is WONDERFUL. Lots of kid friendly exhibits and IMAX movies. The downtown area is very walkable and nice. We did a horse drawn carriage tour which my kids really enjoyed. I would not do the whale watch. We did not take it but saw the boats from the ferry we took and they had to go very far out and there was just nothing to see. From the people we asked about it seeing whales was rare and fleeting. Buttchart gardens is amazing but my kids weren't too thrilled with it.

Hello, we're on your same cruise!! Although we can't check in online yet as we are first time cruisers. We aren't doing any excursions in Victoria as we live in Vancouver and have done Victoria many times. Your 2 1/2 year old will certainly be able to china town, Butchart etc so it's frustrating that you can't book it online. Victoria is a very safe and walkable city so I would absolutely book an excursion with a local company other than DCL. Check out this one: http://www.cvstours.com/

Here is one for Butchard where they pick you up from the cruise terminal: http://www.cvstours.com/victoria-cruiseship-tour-pickup.html

We stopped in Victoria (also did the repo cruise but opposite direction on May). We didn't do an excursion but explored the city on our own. We lived the BC MUSEUM- one of the best I've been to. At the time their IMAX movie was about butterflies and it was awesome. We took a water taxi to a small little area where you could feed the sea lions. I will have to try to recall why it was called but my kids loved it. I think Victoria was a very easy city to get around and did not regret at all not doing an excursions have fun!

We love Butchart Gardens. See if you could have afternoon tea, with sweets, to make it feel more kid-friendly.

I ended up calling DCL and asked why my 2.5 dd name is grayed out even though everything I've seen said that the tour is for the entire family with no age restrictions. In any case, she asked the person that "runs" the excursions or is the expert on the matter and she came back and said that my 2.5 dd name is grayed out because she doesn't require an actual ticket and so that's why I can't select her name. She'll be able to go on the excursion with no problems. I plan to call back in a few days and ask the same question of someone else to make sure I'm getting the same answer. In the meantime, I'll look into the suggestion an earlier poster provided as a recommendation. BTW, we ended up booking the excursion to the Butterfly Gardens and Butchart Gardens. I guess this could really go either way as far as my kids liking it or not. I assume they'll like the butterfly garden because they'll get to see butterflies and they might even land on them and also get to see other animals. Butchart gardens is questionable as they'll probably just see it as a bunch of large bushes. I know I'll like it and want to take pictures so we'll see. I looked into some of the tea excursions and one of them I believe was visiting a castle and I don't think they'll enjoy it and really see it as an historic castle but rather a really big and old house with lots of stairs.

If someone does have the information to feeding the sea lions, I would like to have that and check it out.

bcwife76...Are you sure you can check in yet? This is our second Disney cruise and we checked in this last Sunday, which I believe should be 90 days out. You do have to be paid in full before you can check in though. I don't believe there is a tier where you wait any longer such as 60 day out but I could be wrong. You might want to call DCL and double check or if someone has better information than I do, please chime in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter