• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PORS or AKL

ntsammy5

DIS Veteran
For a 5-day trip in January 2008, I can get good rates at both Riverside and AKL. We've never stayed at either of them, well actually we have stayed at POFQ, but not Riverside.

If you had the choice where would you stay and why? Thanks for your opinions.

We're going to see DD run in the marathon as you can see below.

POR is beautiful, but very large grounds. i'm wanting to stay at POFQ for my upcoming trip, but am currently booked at POR. AKL would be my pick if you can do it. this is the hotel we want to stay in as soon as we can afford something more than a moderate!!! i hear its awesome.

I agree. AKL if it's affordable. I've stayed at POR (back when it was Dixie Landings) and thought it was just too big for me. We had a room that was VERY far away from the main dining area and we didn't enjoy it. I've visited AKL but never stayed there (yet! we're booked for Labor Day 2008) and it's beautiful.

:thumbsup2

AKL hands down! If you can stay deluxe go for it over POR! Have stayed at both and prefer AKL - very cool setting. You just don't get to see animals out your balcony everyday!

AKL!!! It is a great resort to enjoy.
Kim

Actually each resort has lovely features but we like POR better.

We found AKL to be a bit dreary and dark (though we understand the theming here) it just isn't our style. We also did not like the "hotel" feel and by that I mean the indoor Hallways to get around, like a typical hotel. The food court was also limited on food variety . Saying all that I also want to add that the animals and pool area were good and we thought the Holiday decor was lovely. Child enjoyed the arcade. Crafts for young kids in lobby was a nice touch as well.
We just enjoy POR so much more (Ol Man Island, restaurant and fod court, themeing and Alligator Bayou, our favorite!) Perhaps because we are so familiar with it, for us it's like "coming home", LOL ....Just an opinion.
What ever you choose have a wonderful time at Disney! :wizard:

Actually each resort has lovely features but we like POR better.

We found AKL to be a bit dreary and dark (though we understand the theming here) it just isn't our style. We also did not like the "hotel" feel and by that I mean the indoor Hallways to get around, like a typical hotel. The food court was also limited on food variety . Saying all that I also want to add that the animals and pool area were good and we thought the Holiday decor was lovely. Child enjoyed the arcade. Crafts for young kids in lobby was a nice touch as well.
We just enjoy POR so much more (Ol Man Island, restaurant and fod court, themeing and Alligator Bayou, our favorite!) Perhaps because we are so familiar with it, for us it's like "coming home", LOL ....Just an opinion.
What ever you choose have a wonderful time at Disney! :wizard:

a1tinkfans - you took the words right out of my mouth.

ntsammy5 - We have stayed at both, in fact my wife and son Matt saw Dennis Quaid at AKL when we stayed there in 2002. AKL is a very nice deluxe hotel with excellent views. To us, POR is more of a resort. We love Boatwrights, the quiet pools, main pool, and the convenience of the food court. We have been to POR, AKL, Fort Wilderness, Golf Course Villas/Treehouses and ASM. My wife says POR only for the foreseeable future. You certainly can't go wrong with either choice.

Have a great trip. :thumbsup2

Tim/Hawk

Well there is a big difference mainly in resort ammenities. AKL is a self contained resort whereas POR is a "lodge style" resort with exterior corridors. Rooms at AKL have queens and rooms at POR have doubles. The AKL pool is mammoth, but frankly not as nicely themed at POR. AKL has the best food court onsite (Mara) with what I think are amazing selections and variety and they serve Fresca from the soda fountain! But POR's food court is nicely sized and I've not been there since they renovated it. Boma and Jiko are also at AKL. And there is nothing like watching the animals from your balcony at AKL! Overall, my personaly opinion is that AKL is a much better resort for amenities as it is a Deluxe resort, however POR is a really nice moderate and has a very deluxe feel in terms of the resort itself.

You'll have a blast either way.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter