POR vs. Poly

sunnydays28

Mouseketeer
I thought I had it all figured out until I saw pics of how close Poly is to MK.

Considerations:
~it is only a $300 difference to us from our current plans
~we plan on spending the equivalent of 2 full days at MK (will have park hoppers)
~I have never stayed on a monorail
~we will not be back for 4-5 years
~we are switching mid-stay from AoA LK suite so this would be mostly for the adult theming and relaxation
~but I do want my turning-5-while-there girl to love the second half of the stay too
~she is going to have an evening at Neverland, convenient to get her there
~would love to watch the fireworks from the beach, be able to see the castle at night/from our resort

But:
~We are going to the beach for 3 days after leaving Disney
~staying at POR means we can use the amenities at FQ too, so we are getting to experience 2 resorts for 1

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like there are more pros for Poly than Por, but $300 is a pretty big amount of money. Depending on if it is reasonable for you to spend the extra 300 I would go for Poly but Por would still be great if you couldnt afford it.

I haven't stayed at either, but I was shocked that the price difference might only be $300 more for the Poly! We have POR ressies but I think we're dropping the dining plan ( the kids aren't gonna eat $55 worth of food each day). I could spring $300 more for Deluxe!!!

Thanks for the thought.......!!!:cloud9: I may have to call :bitelip:

IMO and I love POR was just there in Nov. and Dec! But POLY is great! If the $$ is not an issue I would choose it in a heartbeat!

I am a major POR fan. However, for a short stay and only $300 difference I would go with the Poly in your situation.

We stayed at the Poly once for a few nights before a longer stay at OKW. While I haven't been able to justify the expense of going back, I have never regretted staying there and getting to experience all it has to offer.

Your dd, especially at her age will be as enthralled with Part II of the trip as she is with the first part!

I love all levels of Disney resorts and once we went from Boardwalk to All Star Music and it was still fun!

My DD loved the Poly at 5. she loved playing in the sand while the fireworks went off. She loved Captain Cooks, walking around the GCH, swimming in the pool and the monorail. She is 10 now and still loves it.

I would do it for time and convenience if for nothing else. It is a beautifully relaxing resort. We love it!!

Hands down Poly. Your DD will love the pool, the monorail and boat to MK, and the gorgeous GCH. My son who is now 8 adores the Poly, as does my 1 year old DD.

I have stayed and both, and if it is only a $300 dollar dif and you don't mind spending the $$, I would choose the Poly. The convenience of the monorail is so worth it, and as you mention you won't go again for awhile. Besides the options for dinning at the Poly, you can easily get to the Grand Floridian and Contemporary for additional shopping and meals. The Poly is also very relaxing after a day at the parks. I did like POR very much and staying there is a good value, but again, having the monorail is so nice. Honestly, you won't go wrong with either choice, but the Poly has the edge!

For only a $300 difference I would run to the Poly! We're debating Poly vs POR for our May trip but the price difference is tremendous- if it weren't for money we would be at the Poly no questions asked. The amenities are out of this world, in our minds a park day is just as good as a day at the Polynesian. The MK views, fantastic beach, fun pool, great food are all reasons to love the Poly but then you also feel like you're staying at true Disney original. POR is a great, relaxing, beautiful hotel but there is no way its amenities even combined with POFQ compare to the Poly. I promise it will be the best $300 you ever spent! Also you are going to love AoA- we stayed in October and were blown away by how incredible all of the theming is and the suites are a perfect size. It sounds like you have a great trip ahead of you :)

First thing if you don't mind me asking, the difference was only $300.00? HOW??? But besides the point that is AWESOME, price difference :cool1:

I have stayed at both Poly and FQ, sister resort to POR...with that being said, here goes...

POLY, the monorail is to say the least, AWESOME! Pool if you are going at a busy time can get very cramped, not as large as POR...Busses, well not in my opinion the best, just because of wait times...Food court, I honestly find better at POR...Ambience, I don't know sure Poly might be better but I honestly never felt I was missing out at POR.

I would say for $300.00 difference, go to Poly. I don't think you will ever see that low of a difference again, in my opinion....

Have a FUNtastic vacation :dancer:party::dancer:

I'm also shocked at the low price difference. How many days are you staying ? These 2 resorts were my dilemma too. We love (esp DH) POR. Never tried the POLY before. I had originally booked royal room at POR then changed the ressie to the POLY. The price difference for us was almost triple that of POR ! It was something like approx. $350-$400/nite difference... Make sure you have the price you were quoted right and if it is only $300 more...you had better run to the phone and book the POLY !!!! :hyper::banana::woohoo:
P.S. Or did you mean $300 per nite?

I've stayed at and love both, but for only $300 definitely do Poly!!

Also, as far as sharing with POFQ, we found the walk between POR and POFQ to be long enough where we only did it once on our trip. It's about a 10-15 minute walk along the path in the direct sunlight so it was hot. We didn't like their pool as much as POR's and since they have no quiet pools, there was a good amount of people there. We were also there for breakfast which was packed, and we had to eat in the lounge. Didn't feel the need to go back.

Love both hotels. I would go with the Poly, but if there are better things you can do with that $300, I am sure you will not be disappointed with POR.

We are part of the Disney Vacation Club, and one of my very few regrets is that we can no longer stay at those hotels. Well, we can, but the trade-in deal is not very good.

You must stay at a monorail resort at least once, just be careful as you may never go back!!!

I also vote the Poly. Best thing in the world not to have to use buses...

I am going to double check the quote she gave me (we are using AAA), it does seem too good to be true. We are currently doing half our time in the LK suite which is very expensive for a value and only 3 of us, I think that savings comes in because she was comparing full time at AoA and we would have to give up the spilt stay and do Poly the entire time. I am not sure I am willing to give up the split stay after being so excited about it.

So for those that have stayed at both, how do the walks from rooms to food court/registration/main buildings compare?

My main hesitation on the Poly (other than the cost), is I hear so much about the monorail having problems and I know that will frustrate me immensely since the main reason I would stay there is for the monorail.

The monorail workd most of the time, if its not working you can use the boat launch to MK.

The monorails just get crowded to me , so we ise the launches.

Last trip the monorail never broke down...

Never had any real problems with the monorail until the GF started the construction. We stayed at BLT last March and the monorail didn't run between something like 11am-6pm every day. But if it was too windy , they ran it because the boats couldn't run. It was crazy!! We never knew which we were supposed to use! Our last trip was 11 days in Dec. We stayed at POR and we never rode a monorail! We went to TTC one night to take monorail to MK for dinner and they had it blocked off and EVERYONE had to take the ferry. We got on the 3rd boat! Almost late for our ressies. Very stressful! BUT... that said in our 20+years at Disney we have never had any major problems with the monorail until they started this construction! I wouldn't let it scare you away from the Poly if you get a great deal!!

Well, the difference is about $320 something between 8 nights at Poly. We could swing it if I had my heart set on it, but we want to do a split stay and get to experience 2 hotels in one trip, and I am not willing to give up the character theming for my daughter and my husband is not willing to give up a suite for part of the trip.

We will have a car so if bus/transportation becomes an issue elsewhere we can drive in, but if the monorail is an issue we only have the boats. And the Poly will always be there--when she is 8-10 years old she will probably care less about the Little Mermaid, will be taller and stronger to appreciate the Poly pool and slide. Plus we can ride the monorail to and from many other places for the experience if just riding.

I am going to take that money and give her a Pirates and Pals cruise and Fantasmic instead.

When the monorail is down for the MK does that mean it isn't running for EPCOT either? The monorail convenience is one of the reasons I booked POLY (not that it would keep me away mind you ;) ) But just curious if this is something we might have to be in store for on our late April trip....:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter