• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR vs Dolphin

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
I'm not going to Disney until late 2005 early 2006 and thought I had my mind set on POR Alligator Bayou (or a deluxe if I somehow go an awsome rate). Then I ventured to the Dolphin website and saw how nice and large the rooms looked. This will be our very first trip to Disney (DH & DS who will be 6). So which would you prefer. I want as much Disney magic as possible. What do you lose out on if you stay at the Dolphin? What do you gain?

Also, I tried to find prices on their site but couldn't. Any idea what it usually runs? I know deals are more plentiful for the Dolphin.

I've spent hours trying to figure out where to stay. I can't imagine how much time I'll be spending figuring out what things we want to do! :wave:

Don't quote me on this, but you don't lose anything when you stay at the Dolphin or the Swan. When i was little this is where my parents ONLY stayed because of many conventions at the Swan. I believe you have access to extra magic hours too, just like the disney hotels, as the same with the Hilton too.

Some would argue that the service at the Dolphin and the Swan is better than at the Disney resorts, but i cannot argue for this because i have not been there since i was in my pre-teens.

There are the resort phone numbers though, you could call the Swan or the Dolphin and ask what the benefits of staying there are opposed to staying at a disney resort. I don't believe that there is much of a difference...

We stayed at POR last May and LOVED it. We are staying at the Swan in Oct. I think there are advantages to both.

POR (vs Alligator Bayou) was picked up and dropped off first before any other PO resorts. That was a definite bonus. Also, it is just a boat ride away from DTD. The pool is fun for the kids with a neat slide and stuff.

The Swan/Dolphin resorts are right by the boardwalk and within walking distance to Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. I've read that you can also see the Epcot fireworks from the bridge on the boardwalk.

Frankly, I don't think you'll go wrong either way. You are going to have so much fun! :cool1:

Chili

i had the same problem deciding but chose the dolphin because i got a great rate and it looks much nicer :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I have stayed at both resorts and really liked them both. POR is beautifully landscaped and very peaceful (romantic, even) and has a really good pool. Its bus service was good, and it definitely had that Disney feel to it.

Both hotels are kid friendly, but I thought POR seemed more like a true Disney resort than the Dolphin. The food court is really good, and it has bikes and a water taxi to Downtown Disney. You'd really like it. BUT...

The Dolphin, however, has a GREAT location. If you like Epcot and enjoy spending time there, it cannot be beaten. It is just awesome to be able to go out for a 'stroll' and decide to hop into Epcot for a few hours. You can also walk to MGM or, if you are not a walker, take the Water Taxi to Epcot or MGM.

There are good deals for the Dolphin, especially if you are a nurse, teacher, or government employee ($149 / nt). They also have specials throughout the year, especially in the summer, which, unlike Disney, is a slow time for the Dolphin. The Heavenly Beds are amazing, too.

If it is more of an adult vacation, I would go with the Dolphin. If it is for your kids, I would get online and see what they like. The price should be roughly the same (if there are no good deals the Dolphin will be much more, but the odds are not bad that one would be available).

BTW, the Dolphin has EMH and all the other Disney perks, except for package delivery.

Good luck deciding! ::MickeyMo

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I've thought of a few other questions. Can you get wake up calls from Mickey and bedtime stories at the Dolphin? I know my son would really like that. Does anyone know what the rack rate is for Dolphin? Also, would the Magic express be available if we chose the Dolphin? We really do not want to rent a car. There's just too much to consider! :flower:

Keep the info coming. Thanks!

This summer will be our fourth stay at the Swan/Dolphin. You can usually get rooms at a discount. We have never paid more then $159 per night. Absolutely the best hotels for the money. The rooms are wonderful, but it is all about location, location, location. No ou can not get wake up calls from Mickey. Since you get all of the benefits that you get at a Disney resort, I would imagine that they have magical express service but maybe not. Dolphin has rental car facilities for National and Alamo. :banana:

One thing about the Dolphin vs. WDW resorts is that they charge for parking (if you have a car of course).

You can get package delivery, but you don't have charging privileges outside the Swan/Dolphin complex.

That is the only downside to staying at the Swan/Dolphin & it's not much of a downside.

Reasons to choose S/D over POR, IMHO - (not necessarily in this order)
More Bang for Your Buck
Dining
Starbucks Coffee
Heavenly Beds
Room Size
Service
Views (Epcot, Boardwalk, MGM)

I am prejudiced. After many on-site stays at a variety of WDW resorts, I have found the Swan/Dolphin to be my favorite place to stay. I doubt I will stay anywhere else without extenuating circumstances (grandchildren in Dec, picked FW Cabins for extra room convienence)

AngieInOH said:
Thanks for everyone's reply.

I've thought of a few other questions. Can you get wake up calls from Mickey and bedtime stories at the Dolphin? I know my son would really like that. Does anyone know what the rack rate is for Dolphin? Also, would the Magic express be available if we chose the Dolphin? We really do not want to rent a car. There's just too much to consider! :flower:

Keep the info coming. Thanks!

They don't have Mickey wake up calls nor bedtime stories, but I didn't find those to be a big loss. Magic Express is also not available, and that may be a deal breaker for you. You do not need to rent a car though. We book a car service for about $90 round trip and it includes a grocery stop. They meet you at the baggage claim area and carry all your luggage. You can also use Mears Shuttle Service for a little less if there are only 2-3 people in your group.

We love the Dolphin--particularly my dd. She loves the Friendship Boats! The price is fantastic, the beds are wonderful, the service is great. You can sometimes get a good deal through Dreams Unlimited.

You might also want to sign up for a Starwood Preferred Guest card--it's free at www.spg.com. As you earn points, you can get upgraded rooms, etc. At Christmas, we had a fabulous view of the Epcot fireworks from our balcony every night and great views of the Boardwalk during the day.

No Mickey wake-up calls but that isn't a deal breaker for us when we get so much more in return. The location, the price, and the heavenly beds make it the perfect spot for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter