POR vs. Contemporary

mana'olana

Mouseketeer
I have made my ressies to stay at POR in August, it's a girls only trip with DD and myself. I'm getting kind of nervous and wonder if it's worth the $785 to upgrad to the Contemporary. On top of the bus waits, I'm also concerned about safety - especially walking back to the room late at night. I called to find out the price difference and they said that there is construction going on at the Contemporary, is that really loud? I'm just trying to weigh my options. I'm leaning towards paying the extra money for the Contemporary.

Please let me know your opinions.

Hi, Myself, my three girls, and my sister stayed at POR in Jan. We were close to the north bus stop and felt very safe coming back to the room late at night. Generally there were always people around. We had no issues with bus service and found our bus stop was rarely busy in the mornings. We were picked up at the north depot before it got to the main stop so we always got a seat. Leaving late from MK one night, we knew it would be crowded so we just got some ice cream and let the crowds thin out. I would save the money and stay at POR.

I can't tell you how much the extra money for CR is worth it. The convenience of being on the monorail, the rooms, the atmosphere, it is our favorite resort. One stay, and you will be happy you spent the extra money. Yes there is construction going on, but check the thread within the last 24 hours from the person who just got back, and you will see that it will likely not effect you. Go for it!

I have stayed at both, and would choose the Contemporary in a heartbeat. I don't site any safety concerns for POR, I just enjoyed the Contemporary so much more. Especially if you can get a tower room. Everything is much easier to get to and you can walk to MK. We were at the Contemporary when they were tearing the North Wing. They stopped by 5pm and did not work the weekends. The noise did not bother us. The pools were never crowded either and we were there at spring break.

The new rooms at the Contemporary are beautiful! I'd never feel uncomfortable walking from the MK to the resort. There are people, buses, a security guard you walk past. I have a photo walk here: http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=42&Itemid=70

(plus of POR/POF).

I have been taking pics for the site of the Contemporary Construction, it has never been overly loud while I've been there, even though it has been an active construction site. I do like both resorts, but I'm usually too cheap and I end up staying at the Pop Century. :) You can't go wrong with either resort.

I would switch to the Contemporary because the rooms there are a lot nicer and bigger then POR, you get the Monorail service, have a walkway to the Magic Kingdom and you will get better service overall since you would be upgrading from a Moderate to a Deluxe Resort.

As for the construction it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The only thing inside they would be working on is the lobby, so how much time would you spend there expect for check-in. The other construction would the grounds around the outside and the area where the North Garden Wing use to be. However they are not doing any construction on the 4th floor. Here is the renovation schedule for you to see for yourself.

August 2007 - Newly renovated Fantasia Shop will re-open.

June 11, 2007 through November 2007 - The Lobby will undergo partitioned refurbishments to update the area's image and decor.

July 2007 through October 2007 - The resort's grounds will undergo partitioned refurbishments to install new landscaping and re-route existing guests paths.

July 30, 2007 through April 2008 - The Food & Fun Center will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as a new table service option, "The Wave". During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.

April 2008 through August 14, 2008 -The Concourse Steak house will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as the new Counter Service location for the resort. During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.

We've stayed at the POR and absolutely loved it! I know the buses aren't as convenient as the monorail, but we really didn't find it to be a big deal, travelling w/ a 7 yr old & a very high-maintenance 3 year old, we handled it fine. Of course, the only time I stayed at the Contemporary I was only 11, so I really don't remember. I would love to have the convenience of the monorail at Contemporary, and I've heard it's wonderful (wish I could remember it better), but it's not in my budget; me, dh, 4 kids, and taking my mom along, so we need two rooms this time around. :scared1: If you're nervous about dropping the extra $$$ to upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the POR. (IMHO)

We would stay at POR hands down! We've been to both, and POR was immaculate each time. We had major housekeeping issues at the Contemporary. In all fairness, the manager did go out of his way to make up for the problems we had, but that part of our trip was ruined, and for the money, POR is a better deal!

I don't think the $785 is worth it to stay at CR over POR. Actually, if it was the same price, I still wouldn't switch.

It's all personal preference though. If you like the feel of a fancy hotel without theming, then CR is for you. If you like theming and want to be transported, I'd stick with POR.

On a personal note, I've yet to stay at either. I'm staying at POR next month. I went and visited both on my last trip. I fell in love with POR. CR just felt cold.

I agree that POR feels very safe, it is a beautiful resort and I really think you and your DD would love it. If you are concerned about transportation you shouldn't be. While the quick monorail ride from MK would be nice I found the buses to be very efficient. Only one of our members of our group of 6 women had an issue with the bus. Once, during a five night stay. That was it.
Give it a try. The grounds are beautiful, check out the pics on Deb Wills website to see for yourself. We love it there.:love:

We just stayed at POR for one night on May 18th, and then CR for several nights after that. POR is like being in a whole different place/time. It is a very lovely resort, with a magic all it's own. Staying at the CR however was true luxury--I felt like I was in the heart of the magic so close to the Magic Kingdom, an easy elevator ride to the shops/restaurants/monorail. The pool there was lots of fun too, which I have to admit I didn't expect to like it so much. You are a boat ride from Ft. Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge, a monorail trip from Poly/GF. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. My husband vows only to stay on the monorail from now on, but POR is such a lovely place that if the money is more important to save, I don't think you'll be disappointed being there.

allearsnet.com has extensive photo slideshows of each resort. just click on "accomodations" at the top, then scroll down to see the names of the resorts on the left. You can check out the exteriors, room interiors (they will show several views of each interior, plus bathroom, closeups on showers, etc), the resort grounds, activities, pools, restaurants, lobby, even the bus stops!

Thanks for all of your responses, we upgraded. DH made the final decision and he's not going :) We stayed at the Poly last year and loved the monorail being there. We often go back to the resort around lunch time for naps and pool time. I'm kind of sad that I won't get to check out POR but we can always go and walk around.

I checked out the pics on AllEars - POR does look more interesting, but just can't beat the monorail.

I have stayed at both as well. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at POR. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. I never had security issues at POR our boys ran off to the food court each morning and evening to get drinks by themselves. Save the upgrade money and put it towards a future trip. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I just wanted to say also that there is very little crime on Disney property, and not a lot in the tourist corrider (even with those couple of incidents recently). The area hosts 50 million visitors. You should always be careful, no matter where you are - locking up valuables, not keeping tons of cash on your person, etc. Kids should know what to do in a variety of cases that can happen anywhere. But I have rarely felt unsafe at Disney, and definitely not at either of your resort choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter