POR vs. ASMuFamily Suites

dsmith72

Mouseketeer
We are going to disney summer of 2012. 1st 2 x stayed POR and loved it! Last time stayed Poly but we won't be able to afford unless really great Promo. Anyway, I got price quotes from AAA travel agent and difference is only about $800 more for family suites. Our party is DH, me and DS 11 and DS9. Which would you choose for an 8 night stay? Love POR foodcourt, pool and boat to DTD but the extra room would be nice-help!

Have stayed at both-more recently at ASMu. The extra amount of living space and extra TV, the extra full bathroom and the kitchenette are wonderful. We enjoyed having a quick breakfast in the room as everyone was getting ready-we aren't big food court fans, especially in the morning. To me though, $800 is alot of money!

I actually love both resorts. Having the extra room and the kitchenette in the Family Suite is nice, but so is having a pool slide, hot tub, and boat to DTD.

Though for 8 nights I think I would go with a Family Suite. Being in the same space for 8 days would get a little wearing, I think. Having a bit of privacy with a seperate bedroom and bathroom for mom and dad is a good thing. So is having 2 tvs. If you were going for a quick trip I would probably vote for POR. But for a longer trip I think the Family Suite is the way to go.

I posted this originally on the Family Suite thread (great thread with pictures to look at if you are considering the family suites.

I guess the decision for POR vs. Family Suite would be what you value.

Consider:
1. The pool at POR has a slide ... will you or the kids be disappointed without one?
2. The kitchenette at ASMu means you could eat some breakfasts there with the micro and bigger fridge ... would you be able to bring some food, use a delivery service, or pick some food up to save you some of that extra money?
3. Is the bed setup -- queen in the bedroom, three beds in the living area -- better or worse for you than two doubles and a trundle? Would having a door between you and your kids allow everyone to sleep better?
4. Would you use the TS restaurant or the boat to DTD at POR?
5. Would your kids enjoy the free poolside activities at ASMU or the activities offered at POR?

Honestly it comes down to whether that extra $800 buys you enough "value" to make it worth staying there. I think that's why anyone pays for any resort -- they value the convenience of a monorail, having queen beds, a nice view, walking distance to Epcot, a kitchen, etc.

Other things to consider for your situation: Your sons are older than your first trips to POR. What are their memories? Are they expecting POR or want to try something new? Are they getting too big to want to share a bed? Have their own room and privacy from Mom and dad?

PHXscuba

I would stay at POR because our family simply loves that resort. We love the amenities (pool, food court, boat access)....PLUS, you'd actualy be saving money staying there.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

I prefer the theme and style of POR over any of the values. No brainer for me. Family of four will do just fine at POR.

I also prefer table service restaurants which are missing at the values.

But that is just my personal opinion based on emotion, YMMV.

Unless you plan on doing a bunch of cartwheels every night before bedtime, I think a family of 4 would fit in a POR room just fine!! :lmao:

This is a no brainer for me. $800 is a lot of money. I would wonder for an 8 and 11 yr old, would they still be interested in activities that are offered by the pool at ASMu? my son is 11 and he wouldnt be caught dead doing some of those things. He's in the "im too cool" pre-teen stage already. hahaha.

How often are you in the room anyway? unless your going back to your room for a few hours to nap, do you really need that extra space? Would the kitchenette make that much of a difference? You do get a fridge and coffee maker in your room at POR. Dont forget the fridge in the suites arent bigger than the ones at POR. If you look at the pictures provided in the link above, its the same size.

I weighed the option of those two resorts last year. I finally decided that the extra space wasn't worth the cost for us. We had 5 in the room and I'm glad I chose POR. There was plenty of room for us, our luggage, the stroller etc.....

The grounds, the foodcourt and the pool are worth it alone :)

for 4 I would do POR if it was 5 or more I would go for the suite- we do for the extra bathroom, and the kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter