POR transportation...I am worried

kathymike

Mouseketeer
We are booked for 3 days at the end of August prior to the Disney Cruise. I booked it myself so I can change.

I just read a scathing review of POR and it had to do with the wait time for busses from the resort to the parts and back again. Any comments? Suggestions? Last year we stayed at WL and it was great!

I am interested as well. We are debating between CBR & POR.

Right now we are leaning in the direction of POR but the transportation issue would factor into our final choice.

We stayed at POR in April, right after Easter, and it was still pretty crowded. I rented a car and NEVER used it. We actually had trouble finding it when it was time to go back to the airport. The only delays we encountered were leaving MK after Wishes. There were only 2 showings that week and it was really crowded. We had our traditional snack at the bakery and waited for "stroller derby" to finish, to try to avoid the long wait for a bus. It didn't work! There was an accident somewhere near the TTC. We waited about 20 minutes in a huge line and then they rerouted the packed bus all the way around the back of MK to avoid the traffic. I wish it hadn't been dark out, I'm sure there were interesting sights I've never seen back there. The wait seemed longer than it was because there were so many people ahead of us and the other bus lines were pretty empty, plus we were tired after a long day, but it really wasn't that bad.
I would suggest though that if you go during a busy week, use the south bus stop near front lobby entrance if it's not too much of a hike. There were a few mornings when the bus stopped for us there and filled up, so we went straight to our destination, without stopping at the other bus stops at the resort. I wondered how much longer the people at the other stops had to wait, but then they may have just sent a full bus right over there.
I had a great time at POR and would not let a few bus delays change my plans. I had three impatient pre-teen boys with me and they would have made life miserable if the lines had been really bad! We also loved the boat ride to DTD and back. The line to return looked long, but it moved quickly once a boat arrived. Relax, you'll have a great time!

Stayed at POFQ in 2000 durring July, Mom and I had no trouble, I can't imagine that POR is any differant. In fact it was a bit of a running joke between us that a bus would always pull up just as we got to the stop! We did have to wait after fireworks and Illuminations, but heck, who doesn't?

We just got back from POR. The buses ran great, longest waits were after park closings... at MK there were separate bus lines for POFG & POR after Wishes. Seperate buses ran in the mornings too. During the day, they shared buses. They were packed up not anymore than any other resort.
Also after Wishes, both times we were there during the week, 2 buses would be loading at once for POR only.
Seems to me the resort with the most buses running was POP Century. It became a joke in the line everytime another one pulled in. :crazy:

We just got back from POR & had absolutely no problem most of the time. Our only problem was after Fantasmic at MGM. We went twice and both times had about a 1/2 hour wait for a bus. They were loading 2 buses at a time for POR and Pop Century but couldn't seem to keep up with the volume. To me it just looked these were the 2 most popular resorts because there were so many people.

Without a doubt I would stay there again. I loved the place but I can't put my finger on why exactly. This was our first trip to Disney but we've stayed at dozens of Inns and resorts which were much more expensive than this. Most of the time I can speak about the reason I like or don't like it. The best I can do for POR is I liked the feel of it. It was very serene - something I never expected at Disney. We had considered staying off site because there are so many decent looking places nearby that are dirt cheap but when we go back I won't even give it a thought. And the transportation is the biggest reason. I can get lost ANYWERE!!! In fact I kept getting turned around trying to get from the main registration building back to our room. I count on one of our DS's 9 to help me find the car in parking lots but by day 5 even my other DS 9 was frustrated with me "Mom haven't you got this figured out yet?!!!!" On our first day DH got sick and spent 2 days at Celebration hospital. I couldn't drive to see him because I knew I'd spend hours trying to find either the hospital or our resort again. So once we knew it wasn't life threatening, POR sent a van to pick up DS's and I at the hospital & bring us back. We "did Disney" without him & although I was often very confused in the parks (don't care if I ever see Epcot again) transportation was a non-issue. We transferred at the central depot to go from park to park, rode the mono-rail, even managed to get to Magic Kingdom to have breakfast with Cinderella before park opening - all on Disney transportation without any help from anyone. It was such a blessing. DH wasn't there to take care of us but it felt like Disney was. princess:

Thanks 2plus2more & everyone for clearing that up. Sorry to hear that your DH was sick throughout your trip.

Next time you might want to give Epcot another chance, when Dh is there to navigate. It is an exception park. IMHO.

Thanks again,
Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter