• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR royal rooms?

Jack23

Earning My Ears
I booked at POR. I have a river view room which I am requesting the mansion buildings.
I was thinking about upgrading to a royal room because the buildings look much nicer.
I like the Orleans style room better. I don't know I think the royal rooms decor looks to busy.
What do you think?

The Royal Room theming is fantastic. We stayed in one right after the refurb in 2012. We preferred the grounds at Parterre Place rather than Oak Manor.

The Royal Room theming is fantastic. We stayed in one right after the refurb in 2012. We preferred the grounds at Parterre Place rather than Oak Manor.

That is exactly my question. Thank you!! Why do you prefer Parterre rather than Oak?
Are the head board special effects cool or just ok?

I stayed in the Acadian building before and I really liked it. The other mansion buildings each looked a little different (better)

We were in a Royal Room in Oak Manor last July and loved it!!! It was beautiful!!! Room, view, everything!!! We had a river view!!! :-) My girls really liked it!!!

Personally, I don't find the Royal Rooms worth the cost even with kids who are into princesses, say nothing about someone who's interested in them only because the buildings look nicer. People tend to only book Royal Rooms because of the decor and someone in the group who likes princesses, so if the decor is not appealing to you, it's not worth the money. IMO you can't go wrong with any building at POR. But I'd take my chances on a standard room with mansions request noted, and spend the money on something in the parks.

I just preferred the overall look and ambience of the courtyard and fountain at Parterre rather than Oak. The fireworks effect on the headboard is cool, a really fun touch to the room's theming. Check out portorleans.org for more info and views of the Royal Rooms.

We really liked the RR, but it also depends what the cost increase is. The 2 times we reserved it, it was only $25 more per night and I do not know if I would pay much more then that. We liked the Oaks Manor because it is closer to both the bridge to the lobby/FC and the bridge to Ol' Man Island where the main pool is.

Oak Manor location was good, close to bridge to main building. I thought the ambience of both buildings was similar. The Royal Room decor was great for a young girl, but it does wear off quickly. The fireworks in the headboard were at first exciting, but by day three, they were never turned on. I'm glad I stayed in a RR once when my DD was young, but I would not do it again.

Our first stay at POR - three adults - me, DS 30 and DD 28. I had booked two mansion rooms. I originally thought the Royal Rooms looked way too busy - over the top decor. We ended up upgrading to the RR when we arrived. We all loved the rooms!! They were fun to come home to at the end of the day. The other mansion rooms are very nice - but now feel ordinary. These were special. Grounds are beautiful. Next time I want to try Alligator Bayou because I think the theme in the rooms is cute, but I'm guessing I have more RR stays in my future.

Gorechick - I have always loved your photos of your princess daughter looking out over her kingdom!! :)

Absolutely love the royal rooms! Stayed in one in 2013 and we loved the room decor and location. We were in Oak Manor Bldg #90 garden view... Loved it! Short walk to the main building and south depot. I just booked a royal room for my upcoming November trip and I cannot wait to go back! 189 days!!!!

We stayed in a Royal Room once. It was worth it because our daughter was pretty into it at the time. It was nice and all. However, if she weren't, I'd probably not stay in a Royal Room because I just like the POR Mansion theme as is.

Oak Manor location was good, close to bridge to main building. I thought the ambience of both buildings was similar. The Royal Room decor was great for a young girl, but it does wear off quickly. The fireworks in the headboard were at first exciting, but by day three, they were never turned on. I'm glad I stayed in a RR once when my DD was young, but I would not do it again.
Our DDs would not go to sleep without the headboard on:) They would each take a bed and try to start them both at the same time. Then we would all lay in bed and watch it for awhile and then we would tuck them in for the night.

We stayed in the royal rooms when the first opened. I thought my daughter was going to be over the top about it. Ya...No! She was like, no big deal she was more into the pool and the parks. From then on I decided the resort pick is for me and my husband, with a great pool for the kids. Never again. I loved the grounds of POR but the size of the resort was not for me. We had a room in Parterre Place on the far right hand side (parking lot) if you are looking at the front of the building. It was just to far from every thing for us. I like to be centrally located to everything. The food court is great, the room itself is cute but for us we like to be close to everything. I do enough hiking threw the parks lol

I was booked at Pop for my first two nights, before moving over to OKW. Then, I decided to make it really special for my 21 y/o dd and her best friend from high school (haven't been together in two years!!!)...so I booked a RR. It was pretty expensive. Then, a few weeks later, I went back to see if any specials were being offered. Not sure why it wasn't available when I booked at first, but there was a river view RR for less than the pool view I had already booked!!!! Made that change quickly!
Normally, I wouldn't pay that much for a moderate room. I love POR, my dd loves it! It was our first WDW resort back in '99 when it was DxLs! But, since this is such a special trip and the two girls are still big princess lovers (guess everyone is truly a kid at WDW!!), I spent the extra. But man...it's pricey.

I believe that the mansions get less 'fancy' the closer they get to AB..so Partierre Place is the most elaborate, with Arcadian House the least.

Our room for our September trip had to switched to a RR from a king bed due to free dining, and I am not happy at all! The room looks gorgeous, but with two queens, judging by the photos and video I've seen, we will have no room for the pack & play we requested for our 2YO DD to sleep in. I'm hoping it will turn out better than expected (or a king bed room will open up for the DP), but I am not happy right now.

The furniture in the RR is alot bigger, which made the room feel smaller than our AB room. If I was going to spend that much money on an upgraded room at POR, I would get a preferred room. (We usually get garden view.)

The furniture in the RR is alot bigger, which made the room feel smaller than our AB room. If I was going to spend that much money on an upgraded room at POR, I would get a preferred room. (We usually get garden view.)

Yikes good tip about the room size!

I still can't decide. Each comment I read makes me go back and forth. :rotfl:

I have a 16 year old daughter. I don't know if she will like it or not. I'll probably ask her tonight.
It's $15 dollar a night upgrade that I wouldn't mind paying. I want to surprise my wife and the outside of the mansions are beautiful. I just want the best one..

I still like the Orleans decor better though.. LOL

Yikes good tip about the room size!

I still can't decide. Each comment I read makes me go back and forth. :rotfl:

I have a 16 year old daughter. I don't know if she will like it or not. I'll probably ask her tonight.
It's $15 dollar a night upgrade that I wouldn't mind paying. I want to surprise my wife and the outside of the mansions are beautiful. I just want the best one..

I still like the Orleans decor better though.. LOL
The RR does have a bit bigger furniture but they also have more drawer space because they do not have the murphy bed inside the dresser. The mansions and AB rooms have both been big enough to accommodate our stuff, and since we drive, we take A LOT of stuff:eek: including a decent size sit-n-stand stroller and have never had an issue with space. Look at pics of both rooms, go to http://www.portorleans.org/ and check everything out. If going with Mansions then I would get at least a GV room and request a room close to the foot bridge. We like Oak Manor when we stayed in the RR, more centrally located. If going with the AB section and want to be real close to lobby/FC then go with a preferred room. The farthest rooms of both AB and Mansion sections can be about a 10 minute walk, so if that is to much for your family then adjust your room category. We have yet to pay extra for a preferred room, mainly because our family does not mind to stroll through the POR resort. It really is very nicely themed and landscaped. I hope this helps and have a great time:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter