POR/POFQ with a wheelchair

dragonstarr

Earning My Ears
Last year, we stayed at CBR and we had no problems with the bus transportation. In fact, I felt that the drivers went above and beyond to make sure that we always had a place to sit. My friend and I are planning another trip and wanted to try out another mod resort. I've heard wonderful things about POR and POFQ except that the bus situation is horrible. I know that the buses pick up at POFQ first, but we had friends stay there around the same time as we did and they said that the buses were constantly overcrowded. Ofcourse they were not using a wheelchair and our experience was that the driver would always let us on first and get us settled. My question is for all the people who have used a wheelchair or ECV at either of these resorts, what was your experiences with the buses? Should I consider CSR? Since I know that we will not be visiting New Orleans anytime soon, I thought that either one of these resorts would give me the feeling of visiting the Big Easy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed at POFQ last summer with DS who is a wheelchair user and loved it. The buses were no problem for us as they pick up at POFQ first (the resort has only one stop) and wheelchair passengers are boarded first.
Buses were regular and we never waited more than 10 mins. The resort is very compact so it was never far to anything either and even the walk from POFQ to POR is pretty short and pleasant. We also used the boat to Downtown without any problem.
The only problem I could forsee would be for a wheelchair user staying at POR (where there are several bus stops) if the wheelchair spaces had already been taken before they got to your stop, then you would need to wait for another bus.

i agree we stayed last easter at por fq my 7yo son uses a wc
we stayed at bldq 4 close to bus stop 1 min away
all the buses were great you always board 1st we never had a bus come to use with no spot and the 3 stops in por take 5-8 min and ur already on and settled so its no problem on the way back you stop at fq 1st so its easy
we loved it we had drivers go out of the way for us even drinving back to fq after por to look for a lost pair of glasses!

i highly recomend fq

scott

HI. We just arrived from our trip to POFQ June 5th. My 7 year old is in a wheelchair and we LOVED the resort. We were in room 2148 which in a regular double bed room (which is what we requested) and it was an awesome central location. Everything was easily accessible, we especially enjoyed the boat to DTD and POR. The entire resort was easy to navigate with a chair and we will definitely be returning to POFQ. (I did make three calls to the resort before we arrived just to double check that they had our needs accurately listed.)
Also, from someone who used to frequent New Orleans pre Katrina, know that the architecture and decor are true to New Orleans (only Disney's version is alot newer and cleaner, LOL) The landscaping is beautiful too. We loved seeing the birds, ducks, bunnies & squirrels everyday.
The bus situation out of POFQ was wonderful and easy. We were the first to be picked up and the first to be dropped off. We did have an incident once when leaving MGM Studios with a driver, but the incident was immediately reported and the manager of transportation made a personal visit to our room and brought goodies for us and the kids. MOST of the buses are wheelchair accessible. The wc accessible buses also can carry two chairs at a time. Also make sure your friend gets someone in her party to let the driver know that a wc needs to board so he can let the ramp down, etc. We always had a minor problem with other guests crowding and wanting to be the first to board and the driver would not see Noah in his chair so one of us would go to the front door and let the driver know. Disney's policy is wheelchairs on buses are priority and they are allowed to board first with their traveling party.
HTH.

Thank you all for the great advise. Like I said, I stayed at CBR last year and never had a problem with the buses, so I thought we'd be fine but it never hurts to double check! The trip will be in August 2007 and my friend thinks it's nuts to plan so far in advance:)

Didn't know if I should post this in a new thread or this one. If the bus is overcrowded, is there a long wait between buses?

I think the longest time we had to wait once was maybe 20 minutes? It was never very long at all especially during the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter