POR, just back...RAIN, RAIN..GO AWAY !!!!

kinggoofy

DIS Veteran
Here goes...

We arrived on Thursday 8/14 (the day of the blackout..we were in the air when it happened and had no idea.)

From MCO to POR, the clouds were black and that was an omen to our trip. RAIN...RAIN...AND MORE RAIN.

We requested Bldg. 14-AB. Upon checking in , we were told, the only thing available in #14 was a handicapped room. We took it, got to the room and found there is no tub.

We went back to the front desk and told the CM that we were not informed about the "no tub" thing. I also mentioned to him, we are not handicapped and it would be "not nice" for us to have a room like that when someone else (who may have needed it) would be better served for that room.

We were upgraded to AB #27. Room 2764 to be exact. It was nice. Corner room with a nice view of trees when we were told it was a "water" view.

( The best room, if anyone can get it, is room 2757-AB , what a view of the marina from this room. Highly recommend it.)

We had NO problems with our room for the 10 days we were there. Rosa was our cleaning lady and she was wonderful. ALMOST everyday, she left a few towel animals and arranged DW's little animals as if they were watching TV while we were gone. We tipped here very generously.

We ate at Boatwrights a few times and had no complaints. I will say, the food court was packed. There were a few times the lines were VERY long and only 4 of the 8 cashier registers were opened.

We used mugs from last year and the year before with NO problems.

The entire food court was opened. Nothing was shut down.
We saw Bob in the River Roost every night he was there except Wed. 8-20. He was alot of fun and me and DW were always acknowledged by him during his shows. (I was the brunt of a few of his acts. ...and it was a BLAST.)

We had a great waitresses in the River Roost. Their names were Kathy and Amy. Two sweethearts who worked very hard.

The boat ride to DTD was great especially when a fellow named Don was the driver. He talked and pointed out things that we never knew.

The parks were crowded , but not really that bad. The only bad meal we had was dinner at RFC in DTD on Friday 8-15. The server spoke broken english and we were not happy with the service. ENOUGH said. BUT we did have lunch there on Friday 8-22 and it was very good.

We ate at Boatwrights, Chef Mickeys, ESPN Club, (3 times and I won progressive sports trivia two of the nights. Came home with 2 shirts and 2 hats from there.), Liberty Tree in MK and once at the Giordano's Pizza off grounds. (Being from Chicago, we could not go without that deep dish pizza. ) .

For lunch, we ate at The Palace in MK, Sci-Fi, Pinnochio's, Peco Bills, RFC, food court @ POR and a few others.

With all the rain, we got to swim 4 days we were there. Last week (8-18 to 8-23) it seemed like it rained ALL week. Once 4 PM came around, it would rain and rain and rain..well you get the point.

Except for the rain..(which Disney has no control over ) and the friday dinner at RFC....we have NO complaints.

The buses were VERY good. The only problem with buses was when leaving MK or MGM. You will wait at least a 1/2 hour. But we would talk to others in line and it made it go faster.

I loved Millionaire-Play It @ MGM. Never made it to the hot seat, but got up to as high as #3 and #5 a few times when they would give the updates. I was also the "phone a stranger" on Mickey Avenue. I was "lucky" to answer my question correctly for the player. It was for 32,000 points and I was his last lifeline. When we got in for the next show, I found out that he made it to the 500,000 points question before losing.

If you play Millionaire....trust me, just guess when you play the faster finger at the beginning. There was one question in particular. It was put these college football teams in order from West to East. Hawaii, Ariz. St., Iowa State, and Miami, FL.

I got it right. took me 3 seconds to do it. The winner was from England in 1.8 seconds. When told he was fast, his reply was
"I guessed."

Also, use fast pass. It is unreal. We never waited longer than 10 minutes for ANY ride on any day with fast pass.

Overall....our trip was an "A". If not for the rain, it would have been "A +++++ "

Feel free if anyone has questions.

Thanks for the great report - I'm going to stay at POR (first time at POR) for a 'girls trip' at the end of October and I'm really excited! We just bought tickets for MNSSHP (never been to this, either) - so thanks for the postive information. Glad you all had such a good time.

Kinggoofy --

Thanks for posting the details about your trip. We'll be statying at POR in October. I like the AB section of the resort, and might even try to request the particular room you mentioned (#2757). Maybe I'll call/fax the resort a few days before. I too requested a water view (I think I actually paid extra--I'm not sure), and would hope that the view would be worth it. We've never stayed at POR so I'm unfamiliar with the layout. Either way we (myself, wife, 3 kids) are very excited about our trip and can't wait. We will also be going to MNSSHP for the first time during our stay.

Have a great time yourself !

First time also!;) Kashkdz: Go to the fist page of this Board, and click on "Disney Hotels." Than Click on Moderate, and than Click onto Port Orleans.....click on Maps and it will give you a Map layout of the Resort!;) I am staying in AB 14 on the first floor and can hardly WAIT!:bounce: 70 more days to GO GO GO!;) KingGoofy, sorry about the rain, I went in June last year, and it rained all 4 days I was there!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the bumb Kinggoffy, it sure sounds like you had a great time minus the rain. This will be our first time staying at PO Riverside so we are really looking forward to it. We stayed at PO French quarter in 99.

How was the view from the Handicapped room if you noticed while you were still there? Was it the water view one? I will be in that room on Sept 5
and normally handicapped rooms do not have tubs that is part of the accessibility factor.

Poohbear123,
We stayed at POR Aug 9 - 16. We made reservations through Disney's special services, for medical reasons. We were guaranteed bldg 14. Guess what, they tried to put us in Magnolia Bend. We ended up in bldg 16. So I wouldn't be so sure that you are staying in bldg 14. I figured we didn't need to call or fax the resort before arriving because our guarenteed reservations. I was wrong.
Same thing happened last year at CBR. We were asssured by special services that we would be in Martinique, 1st flr. They gave us 2nd flr. After going back to the front desk, they tried to put us in Trinidad (the one that's far away). They finally did find a room in Martinique for us, but we had to fight hard for it.
Just a word of warning.

Originally posted by Poohbear123
First time also!;) Kashkdz: Go to the fist page of this Board, and click on "Disney Hotels." Than Click on Moderate, and than Click onto Port Orleans.....click on Maps and it will give you a Map layout of the Resort!;) I am staying in AB 14 on the first floor and can hardly WAIT!:bounce: 70 more days to GO GO GO!;) KingGoofy, sorry about the rain, I went in June last year, and it rained all 4 days I was there!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Pooh --I did find a site (www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com) that gave me the resort layout. Right now my daily motivation is that each passing day we're that much closer to our family vacation.

Hi KingGoofy,

We were at POR from the 10th until the 21st and stayed in building 14. We may have bumped into each other at the quite pool or the food court :)

From the 10th until the 14th there was very little rain, but after that, like you say it rained most afternoons and seemed to keep raining into the night :(

We also had quite a few really bad thunderstorms.

But we got to the parks early and got everything done we wanted to and just put on our yellow duck suits and carried on having fun :)

We're heading to POR in early November - we've waited two years and that's long enough!

Hope the rain stays away, although I suspect that "A rainy day at WDW is better than a sunny day at work!"

Glad you enjoyed your stay at POR Kinggoofy - I know you didnt want to be moved if they closed up for reno'vations.
Sorry it rained, glad it didnt rain on your parade:smooth:

Hi everyone ... used to be dcedwards ... have been gone for awhile but am back. Wouldn't let me still log in so I guess we will start again with the posts ... so I'm not new just went "underground" for awhile.

I know the pool area has been remodeled since last November. Wonder if anyone can describe the changes, if you've been before. And, if not, let me know what it is like. Just curious.

We are still trying to decide between the AKL and POR. We usually stay at the FQ but it won't be open while we are there. So thought if the the pool area was changed at POR that might sway my decision ... but I doubt it. The AP rate we got is hard to beat at the POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter