POR Help

pawla68

Mouseketeer
We are hoping to make it to Disney October 2009. We have previously stayed at Pop. This trip we are looking at POR. My problem is DH and two DS's only want to stay in the Alligator Bayou side. I am afraid that if I book and we get there we'll get the Mansion side and they won't be happy. It is too "frilly" for them. How do I make a request for the Alligator Bayou side???

TIA

Paula

You can request AB on your reservation, but of course, it's not guaranteed. From what I understand, PO-R likes to reserve those rooms for parties of 5. That's not to say that you won't get your request, but if they have X number of parties of 5 arriving and X number of AB rooms, your request may not be granted as they have to make sure the parties of 5 have the rooms they need.

Your not guaranteed, but based on when you plan on going non-peak that you have a good chance of getting into the AB section. The last 3 times we have went (3 of us) we were in the AB section and each time it was during the off peak season. Good luck you will love it there.

funny-- we just stayed at POR again and next time i want AB !!!! we've always gotten our room & building request-- call the day before to remind them ok??? :thumbsup2

When looking to stay at POR, I would reconsider how far you want to be from the main building. We stayed in building 35 in alligator bayou and took approximately 15 minutes to walk to eat in the morning. We also had many problems with transportation at the hotel. It took us 1 hr and 15 minutes to get from Magic Kingdom to the resort (West depot). It seemed to our group that POR was the "evil stepchild" and they did not want to service our hotel. If you still have a chance to stay at another moderate, I would recommend Coronado Springs. It is more business oriented, however large selection of food, easy to get to lobby from all parts of hotel, quick transportation. I would highly not recommend POR. Good luck with your trip!

For our vacation last October, I had requested the Alligator Bayou section of POR, and we were stuck in Mansions. In all fairness we did check in pretty late, about 9:30pm. And we were only a party of 3. After the CM told me we were in Mansions, I asked for her to see in AB had any openings. But she told me they were booked solid with larger families.

I ended up likeing our Mansion room, but I didn't love it the way I do the AB rooms. I just feel the AB rooms are more themed.

On the plus side, we never had any problems with the busses. We got on at the North Depot, and most of the times we still got seats. And we never had a wait over 15 minutes going to the parks.

I'm the total opposite of reon1301. I have stayed at POR three times, and only stayed at CSR once. I would rather have a more typical food court than the Pepper Market. Plus my room at CSR was way out in the boonies, and it felt like it took forever to walk to the front, and to the themed pool. Even if the walk at POR is still long, it was a much more enjoyable one for me.

From what I understand from CM's the earlier you arrive in the day, the better chance you get of getting the section you want (AB or Mansions). I've requested AB twice and gotten it twice. But I take an early morning flight and arrive at the resort just prior to noon.

We also had many problems with transportation at the hotel. It took us 1 hr and 15 minutes to get from Magic Kingdom to the resort (West depot). It seemed to our group that POR was the "evil stepchild" and they did not want to service our hotel. If you still have a chance to stay at another moderate, I would recommend Coronado Springs.

I have to completely agree with this post. We just returned and our experience getting back to the resort from the parks was similar. The POR line at MK was easily the longest line we saw everytime we left there and that was 5 trips! They actually had two que lines assigned to POR and yet they didn't seem to be running any extra buses. We waited through 3 buses one time and we stood everytime! I have stayed at Coronado Springs and the bus service was better. I won't stay at POR again just because of the lousy bus service!

I to am thinking of the POR for the first time, we usually stay at the POP. But, I have a question, Since the resort is 'old south', does it have a lot of Pom Trees. I know it is an unusual question, but on the website links, I don't see any. (Compared to CBR or the POP).

Another question, and This may have to go to the restaurant thread, but I will try here, does the food court use the plastic mickey plates. This issue is very important to my six year old.

I to am thinking of the POR for the first time, we usually stay at the POP. But, I have a question, Since the resort is 'old south', does it have a lot of Pom Trees. I know it is an unusual question, but on the website links, I don't see any. (Compared to CBR or the POP).

Another question, and This may have to go to the restaurant thread, but I will try here, does the food court use the plastic mickey plates. This issue is very important to my six year old.

I'm pretty sure there are some palm trees in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort, but overall there aren't that many in POR. I'm also pretty sure they use mickey paper plates, not plastic. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

We are hoping to make it to Disney October 2009. We have previously stayed at Pop. This trip we are looking at POR. My problem is DH and two DS's only want to stay in the Alligator Bayou side. I am afraid that if I book and we get there we'll get the Mansion side and they won't be happy. It is too "frilly" for them. How do I make a request for the Alligator Bayou side???

TIA

Paula

Like DrDeb said, just call the day before and remind them. I've never had a problem getting my room selection. Also, the mansion sections are really nice. Not "frilly" at all. I've stayed there many times in October and never had a bus issue, and once you know your way around the resort, nothing is more than 5-10 minutes away. I assume that reon1301 stayed there at a different time of year, perhaps a much busier time, which I would find that waiting annoying as well.

We've stayed in POR 4 times. Each time we've stayed there we were in AB and that's without even requesting it. We never had any issues with the buses either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter