POR food court closed during our trip!!!

yooperfan

Hi HO, hi ho, it's off to work we go
We are at POR at a great AP rate of $99 +tx starting 1/17/07 and just found out the food court is closed Jan. 2, I think, until March or April. I am sooo upset! I made my ressies when the AP's came out only a few weeks ago, and they had to have known when we made the ressie, yet didn't say a word. This is a big deal to us as we always buy the refillable mugs and like to eat breakfast (a quicky) in the morning. I wonder if this means no pizza delivery also. We like to take bakery back at the end of the day, gone. The TS is open but we like to get started early and get going in the morning. They say we can use POFQ food quart, but that isn't very convenient for a 6 night stay. I'd change to a different resort but at this point I doubt we could find a room at that rate for a mod. We don't like values, we don't have kids and not used to the hubub & there seems to be so many more kids at the values. What makes me mad is they didn't tell us when we made the ressie. If they had disclosed this info at that time, I would have picked another resort.

Maybe the CM you made your reservation with didn't know. Heck, maybe a decision hadn't even been made when you made your room reservation!

Yes, you may not be able to get the same rate on a different Moderate resort - but you won't know that for sure unless you try.

The CMs are the last to get the word. I learned here about the Rose & Crown rehab in March and called several times to see if the pub will be open (it will), and the CMs I spoke with were surprised to see the dining area was closed and not accepting ressies. FWIW, Teppanyaki, our favorite, the R&C, and now POR food court will all be closed for our visit. I, too, booked the last 2 days of our trip in POR without realizing this. Stuff happens.

Bill From PA

I would complain like heck and demand a change of resorts. The food court is a huge deal to our family for the convenience, cost, refillable mugs, etc. I can't imagine going and not having it and like you said, what a pain to have to go to POFQ!! There is NO WAY I would find this acceptable.

I would demand a change.

Good luck!

I'm sure the pizza delivery will still be there. It'll just come from the French Quarter. As for the bakery stuff to take back for the morning, if the short walk to the French Quarter is too much, you can always pick up something at the parks to bring back. Each park has a bakery. It might be a little bit of a pain but you'd be able to try something new.

How did u find out it would be closed and how do you find out how long it will be closed we are going there 2/20/07

It is unfortunate but these things do happen and have to happen otherwise we would all be moaning about the state of the place.

However i would phone back and complain, i should hope that they would atleast move you to the POFQ!

It sucks that the food court at POR will be closing, but think of all the guests who stayed at the Polynesian when Captin Cooks was closed & that was a lot longer then 3 months. Yes there may have been a temporary location, but it had a limited menu & just like at will happen at POR those guests could not use the reffiable mugs, as there was no set up for them. Basically I am saying that it does suck for anyone who will be staying at POR during that time, however they are not the 1st Resort to have their counter service location closing for renovation & they won't be the last one either.

Can they move you over to a room closer to the POFQ food court?

Is it that far a walk to the food court at POFQ? My family & I have not stayed at POR or POFQ, so I am not sure how far they are apart. Also & this is speaking as someone who has not stayed at either resort, you still get to use the POFQ food court. So it's not like you are totally options for counter service items at POR. Agian that's if you don't mind walking.

cf0423 said:
How did u find out it would be closed and how do you find out how long it will be closed we are going there 2/20/07

I personally called the resort manager for POR and she verified the closing from jan 2nd through march or early april. The table service restaurant will have extended hours and the bar might extend there hours as well.

I don't know if the drink area of the food court will be closed, It didn't occur to me at the time that one might be closed without the other.

We also found out last night about the closing. We talked to Guest Services for more than 30 min. about it. I was able to switch to CSR with the same room and rate. We booked thru AAA. We didn't want to switch to POFQ and fight the crowd from POR and share just one Food Court. I hope everyone that is booked at POR finds out quickly and is able to make changes to their ressies if they desire. I don't believe Disney ever planned on informing us directly.

The POR food court will be open with a limited breakfast and dinner menu. They will also be offering "grab & go" selections for all meals, including lunch.

And, remember, the pool bar will also be open for burgers, hot dogs, etc. :goodvibes

(sigh of relief)Thanks, Rhonda! We have 10 nights in Feb and while I adore the gorgeous walk over to French Quarter,( to whomever asked- 10-20 minutes or more, depending where on property you are, at a reasonably brisk pace- you have to walk all the way thru POFQ before you get to the main building)I didn't want to have to do it all the time!

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
Is it that far a walk to the food court at POFQ? My family & I have not stayed at POR or POFQ, so I am not sure how far they are apart. Also & this is speaking as someone who has not stayed at either resort, you still get to use the POFQ food court. So it's not like you are totally options for counter service items at POR. Agian that's if you don't mind walking.
It is not a long walk, but we tend to skip supper at the parks and grab something to take back to the room. After a long day in the park, getting off at POFQ and then going back to our rooms just isn't all that appealling. I also have an ongoing problem with one Heal/ankle and even though I will hobble to what I need to, this just wasn't in the plan.
Also, one of our favorite things about POR is the many things to choose from and spaciousness of the food court.
The food court at POFQ is much smaller and I can only imagine how crowded it will be at breakfast and when the parks close with both resorts using the same small food court. I realise they need to be refurbished and have no problem with that. I also do not blame the CM for not knowing. I do however feel the power that be have to know when they will start a 3-4 mo project like this and should inform the Cms so that when they make a ressie 10 weeks out they can give their guest the info. I also think they should send out the info to guest with deposits on rooms giving them time to switch if it does not meet there needs. Sorry about the ranting, but I feel for those who don't know about these kind of boards and will find out upon arrival. Not the way I'd want to start a vacation. Okay, I'm done. Back to dreams of Mickey moment to come. I must not loose sight of the fact...I'm going to Disneyworld!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter