• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR fishing & squeamish Mom?

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
I'm considering letting the kids do the cane fishing at Port Orleans Riverside, but there is no way, no how this Mom is going to release a fish -- wouldn't know how anyway. The 4 DDs also wouldn't know how, but the youngest MIGHT just try. Is there a CM there to assist the kids with this?

hahah- I had the same problem. I was praying the we didnt catch a fish- But we did lol. A nice man next to us could tell I didnt know what I was doing so he helped us the first time. They give you a cloth with the worms and when you catcha fish you can grabit with the cloth rather than touching the fish and just take the hookout. It wasnt that bad and thanyou dont have to touch the slimieness. It turned out to be fun:lmao: goodluck

They give you a cloth with the worms and when you catcha fish you can grabit with the cloth rather than touching the fish and just take the hookout. It wasnt that bad and thanyou dont have to touch the slimieness.

You may as well take the fish home for supper. Grabbing a fish that you intend to release with a cloth, takes the slime coating off of the fish. That slime coating is the fish's defense against harmful bacteria and parasites. Removing it's slime would be like someone taking away all of the anitbodies your system has built up. The preferred method of handling is either grab the fish by the lower jaw with your thumb and forefinger, just be cognizant of where the hook is located in the fishes mouth so you don't get stuck. Antother less favorable method is the leave the fish in the water and lower your hand into the water and gently grasp the fish around it's midsection, then remove the hook. Both of these highly increase the chances of the fish surviving the encounter if you do not intend on having fresh fish for supper. Most (not all) freshwater species do not have teeth as we know them. There are some, but you would be able to see the teeth on those species. Do by all means teach your children to fish, but also teach them proper care of the fish also :thumbsup2

Since it is catch and release and DizneyNuts is correct about handling the fish, I would ask before fishing, if someone there could properly release the fish if they catch any.

Thank you for all your replies. I understand what you're saying about the slime on the fish & thanks for adding the educational moments there. Now I'm REALLY not going to help them! But it's good to know what I'm in for if we do it. Yes, my plan was to have them not turn out as squeamish as Mom. But I don't think I can "suck it up" that much, especially sticking my hand in the water WITH all the fish to release them...:scared1: . We'll see. Maybe there'll be some others there eager to do it. And maybe the girls will surprise me & they'll want to!:lmao:

hey cdnmom;

i just had to post here... I thought the same thing when I was there... Let me start off by telling you this... these fish are so smart.:rotfl: .. catching them are hard but fun when you do;) .. they eat hot dogs :confused: ... (they also offer worms, but I opted for the hd)
My DH had to get it off the hook for me.. but there is a little shack w/ cm's in it and when they give you your line and hotdogs or worms, you can tell them that you would like them to release the fish... and they do...

here is a picture of one that I cought that my husband had to release for me!:eek:
fish.jpg

Thanks Jrabbit910! OK maybe we will try after all! It's a rather easy, convenient, relatively inexpensive way to try it once.;)

Thank you for all your replies. I understand what you're saying about the slime on the fish & thanks for adding the educational moments there. Now I'm REALLY not going to help them! But it's good to know what I'm in for if we do it. Yes, my plan was to have them not turn out as squeamish as Mom. But I don't think I can "suck it up" that much, especially sticking my hand in the water WITH all the fish to release them...:scared1: . We'll see. Maybe there'll be some others there eager to do it. And maybe the girls will surprise me & they'll want to!:lmao:

If definately fishing catch and release, you can take some pliers and flatten down the barb on the hook. As long as you keep the line tight when reeling it in (not usually a problem for kids, because they usually pull it in quick) then the hook will slip right out when you take the pressure off the line and you wouldn't even have to touch the fish:thumbsup2 Great sport to introduce your children into and great family time. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter